Model Cars Magazine Forum

Playmate Mustang

Princess Maverick

2 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Nail polish is great stuff.  [...]

I notice behind the model you intend to build is a gingerbread type house that you may have made.  [...]

I ditto that!  In fact, just bought a bottle at Sally's just because.  Did not know about the thinner, I just use what the auto paint store sells by the gallon, I do use it up.

I've also built gingerbread houses!

Here is my thought... you may get the desired result if you use Testors White lightening pearl as a top coat. (Hobby lobby stocks it). I'm afriad if you are just starting out, the nail polish/airbrush route may seem too complicated... not that the airbrush method is a bad idea.

I painted a pt cruiser Hot magenta by Modelmasters (General lee pictured) with the White lightening as a top coat. It looked like the 1.1 mustang pictured. The blue vette is Testors baby blue with this same technique... and it totally changed the color.

You could use Testors Electric pink (Candy Striper 55 Chevy) with the White lightening over it to lighten the color a bit. I would do a few sprayouts on plastic spoons to see which one suits the build. The spray cans will be the simplest way to go I think, good luck with it... I look forward to seein the progress.

Screenshot_20181224-114816.jpg

Screenshot_20181224-112647.jpg

Screenshot_20181224-114607.jpg

Screenshot_20181224-113104.jpg

The Playmate Mustangs were pink,Ford Dusk Rose, Donna Michelles was a custom pink color but the ones available to the public was a standard if you will pink,there is a '66 Playmate Mustang in N.E. Ohio and it is non metallic/pearl pink. This car picture below is excellent representation of a Playmate Mustang that and my eyes have had the pleasure of seeing this car at the annual Mustang vs Camaro Showdown I attend every year and yes this car has the luggage too :)

cars_66lucia.jpg35522474_10211832174741728_2519296140726239232_n.jpg13394174_10206395715833653_1978546070228725444_n.jpg

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I would think to get a really accurate colour, nail polish and an air brush might be the best solution. If you have access to an airbrush that is.

I'd be willing to be there a lot more shades of metallic or pearl pink in nail polish than there are in model paints.

:)

I was guessing she didn't, that's why I suggested the Electric Pink color.

Likely it will be quite close at least!  But, without seeing the actual car . . ?

David S.

18 minutes ago, Princess Maverick said:

I am sorry I have not thanked y'all before for all the help/suggestions 

I have been a little busy with work and those pesky holidays. Lol

Hope you all had a wonderful a very Merry Christmas...??

Nice to hear back.  There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards.  Due to some other posts a lot were probably wondering the same thing as Dale.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:58 AM, Mark IV said:

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it might have Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels. 

Nope, just the factory "wire wheel cover" option

I don't think these are Mustang factory wire wheel covers. The spokes aren't straight enough. Could be Kelsey-Hayes or some other hubcap or wire wheel but not stock Mustang.

Playmatepink-vi.jpg mustangwirehubcap-vi.jpg                       ThunderbirdWireWheelsTirsmall-vi.jpg

Pink Mustang                  These are factory wire wheel covers.     Thunderbird Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels. A little more angle and crisscross on the spoke.

Edited by THarrison351

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, THarrison351 said:

I don't think these are Mustang factory wire wheel covers. The spokes aren't straight enough. Could be Kelsey-Hayes or some other hubcap or wire wheel but not stock Mustang.

Playmatepink-vi.jpg mustangwirehubcap-vi.jpg                       ThunderbirdWireWheelsTirsmall-vi.jpg

Pink Mustang                  These are factory wire wheel covers.     Thunderbird Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels. A little more angle and crisscross on the spoke.

You are correct, I didn't look closely enough at the photo. The 14" T-Bird Kelseys bolt right on a V8 (five stud) Mustang so likely a little extra "bling" for the PlayMate!

12 hours ago, Mark IV said:

You are correct, I didn't look closely enough at the photo. The 14" T-Bird Kelseys bolt right on a V8 (five stud) Mustang so likely a little extra "bling" for the PlayMate!

I just wonder why there aren't more pictures of it with these wheels and it almost seems like the photographer was doing their best to hide them in the photo that is available.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Snake45 said:

She hasn't posted since last Christmas--almost a year. 

Just a quick update as to why there was no more post on this build and she never got much further on the car.....Shortly after the holidays Lisa started getting sick and by July 2020 she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away Sept 8th 2021 ......My plans are to complete this once all has settled down,Lisa is my wife....

12 minutes ago, Badluck 13 said:

Just a quick update as to why there was no more post on this build and she never got much further on the car.....Shortly after the holidays Lisa started getting sick and by July 2020 she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away Sept 8th 2021 ......My plans are to complete this once all has settled down,Lisa is my wife....

My sincere condolences Mike.  Would be a nice tribute to complete this build, when you are ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badluck 13 said:

Oh my gosh man. Mike I offer my condolences as well. I'll most assuredly be tuned in and watching when the time is right for you to start work on this. 

• Like 1