Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 Feb. 2019 video

ChrisBcritter

The GMC Astro is a must have for me ! 

Regarding parts pack wheels : Their offering looks nice (esp. those Halibrands !) , but I'd love to see some new tooling or restored tooling wheels as well --- how about the Spyders ( they're in the '79 Firebird / Trans Am kit ) and some Keystone Klassics

37 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The GMC Astro is a must have for me ! 

Regarding parts pack wheels : Their offering looks nice (esp. those Halibrands !) , but I'd love to see some new tooling or restored tooling wheels as well --- how about the Spyders ( they're in the '79 Firebird / Trans Am kit ) and some Keystone Klassics

The 40 Ford coupe kit has a very nice set of Keystone Kustomags, which are nearly identical to the Klassics. The ones in the 57 Chevy are decent. I also have a deep dish pair at home that I think are MPC. Not sure. Will take a pic and post after work.

In regards to the wheel part pack, I think many of you are missing what's going on here. These aren't newly tooled specifically for this pats pack. This is a combination of wheels they have recently tooled for specific kits over the last few years. This is not to say this is a bad thing, I'm actually happy Round2 is doing this. It makes financial sense as an opportunity for a further  Return On Investment that they made by tooling them up in the first place. If this keeps the Parts Pack ball rolling, I'm all for it!  Because on the whole, in my opinion, the releases in the new Part Packs have been really good. 

3 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I watched it....was too long and too much die-cast for me very little to offer in plastics...no interest in anything this month sadly.

You can skip over parts you don't want to see. At least i could. Just hover your mouse over the progress bar at the bottom and it shows a frame from the video at that point. When you see a point at which you want to view it, click it and it advances to that spot.

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

The 40 Ford coupe kit has a very nice set of Keystone Kustomags, which are nearly identical to the Klassics. The ones in the 57 Chevy are decent. I also have a deep dish pair at home that I think are MPC. Not sure. Will take a pic and post after work.

I think there was a nice set in the MPC '77 Monza. 

The very best Keystones I've ever seen, however, were in the AMT '69 Riviera annual. I don't think I've ever seen those again since. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

In regards to the wheel part pack, I think many of you are missing what's going on here. These aren't newly tooled specifically for this pats pack. This is a combination of wheels they have recently tooled for specific kits over the last few years. This is not to say this is a bad thing, I'm actually happy Round2 is doing this. It makes financial sense as an opportunity for a further  Return On Investment that they made by tooling them up in the first place. If this keeps the Parts Pack ball rolling, I'm all for it!  Because on the whole, in my opinion, the releases in the new Part Packs have been really good. 

I get that part just fine, which is why I was suggesting hubcaps that have appeared in other AMT kits.  They've done a few 1950s vintage cars over the years that came with stock hubcaps.

5 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I get that part just fine, which is why I was suggesting hubcaps that have appeared in other AMT kits.  They've done a few 1950s vintage cars over the years that came with stock hubcaps.

And that's why I said "many of you", not specifically calling anyone out.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

In regards to the wheel part pack, I think many of you are missing what's going on here. These aren't newly tooled specifically for this pats pack. This is a combination of wheels they have recently tooled for specific kits over the last few years. T

Yes, that's quite apparent.  It makes sense in that parts recently tooled for kits in recent years are usually on separate parts trees, which makes it easier to include in standalone sets like this.   Wheels tooled 40-50 years ago and on a regular kit chrome tree probably are unlikely to be seen packaged like this because of how the tooling is arranged. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I understand that the parts-pack wheels are the re-tooled examples and thus are on separate trees. It was a no-brainer to offer them as a parts pack, so I'm glad to see them and eventually maybe other re-tooled parts will appear in their own parts packs.

What that does mean, though, is we're unlikely to see parts-pack offerings that  A: have not already appeared in a kit and B: are not new tools. I'd like to be wrong on that one, though.

52 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

What that does mean, though, is we're unlikely to see parts-pack offerings that  A: have not already appeared in a kit and B: are not new tools. I'd like to be wrong on that one, though.

A) Well, maybe at least one of which has only mostly appeared in a kit, but not totally.

B ) This sort of goes hand-in-hand with A), but I think Round2 has shown they are willing to take the risk of releasing stand alone parts packs, such as the twin dirtbikes from a few years ago. Hopefully the 1/24 scale 6-wheel ATV is still something we'll see eventually, too, but I can certainly understand if they deemed that too much of a risk. On the plus side, they have shown, with go kart included with the recently reissued AMT '60 Chevy pickup, they are willing to tool up new parts as necessary, in order to reissue something not seen for many years.

19 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Craig... I am really happy there trying to bring back the older stuff as well...just wish they would do some more kits that have not seen the light of day in over 30 years...I think we all have been waiting for that.   if they want to see what will sell all they have to do is look at what everyone had been wanting or trying to find for many years...just have to see if they can repair the tooling for them so they can run them for us.  I know there listening to us..its good business to since were their market.   Being disabled keeping busy and active is important...building/restoring them is good therapy as well fun.   I never could understand one thing though...they have the Little Red Wagon kit...but not the Touch Tone Terror kit yet...???   Seems it would not be too hard if they have the other molds for the unique parts,etc...???    Round2 is trying and I thank them for it even though there has been not much for me lately from their offerings.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:55 AM, disabled modeler said:

just wish they would do some more kits that have not seen the light of day in over 30 years...I think we all have been waiting for that.

That's about 30% of what Round2 HAS been doing since 2008. AMC Gremlins and the Pacer, Pinto wagon and soon the '77, Daytona Transporter, Corvair Funny Car, the forthcoming Dodge LWB pickup and Subaru B.R.A.T., VW Scirocco, the 1/16 scale Chargers, Zingers, etc-- all out of circulation for 30+ years, some even longer. Yes, Round2 reissues some staples to their lineup ('49 Ford and Mercury, '40 WIllys, etc.) but they have put out quite a few not-seen-for-many-years kits, so we don't need to wait. The kits have already been reissued, maybe just not the kits you were hoping to see reissued.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Note the Ridge Runner has no mention of "Ford" or "Pinto", like the House on the Hill has no mention of "Psycho". (Mother's not gonna like that... :o)

They even removed "Ford" from the decal sheet and box art photo    IMG_1288C.JPG

8 hours ago, Casey said:

That's about 30% of what Round2 HAS been doing since 2008. AMC Gremlins and the Pacer, Pinto wagon and soon the '77, Daytona Transporter, Corvair Funny Car, the forthcoming Dodge LWB pickup and Subaru B.R.A.T., VW Scirocco, the 1/16 scale Chargers, Zingers, etc-- all out of circulation for 30+ years, some even longer. Yes, Round2 reissues some staples to their lineup ('49 Ford and Mercury, '40 WIllys, etc.) but they have put out quite a few not-seen-for-many-years kits, so we don't need to wait. The kits have already been reissued, maybe just not the kits you were hoping to see reissued.

Casey...So true.   I had no idea they were reissuing the Dodge LWB pickup kit....I hope its a 3 in 1 like the originals were and a backdated grille.   My family owned many of these trucks and i have been on a quest to build family owned replicas for some time now.   I got their Gremlin kit hoping to find the needed parts to make it thew earlier small bumper car like my late uncle drove.  A friend of mine owns a Gremlin with a beefed up 401ci engine in it...stands up pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

I agree. The chrome reverse wheels were an addition to the Gear hustler 65 El Camino. Separate tree added to the kit.