Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Duster 340

Kmb0319

I was never a big fan of the Duster, but there were a lot of them around when I was a teenager, so it was a little nostalgic to build one.

Simple build with some added details.  Paint is Testors Pure Gold.  One departure for me:  the wheels.  I always build everything stock other than wider tires.  I might take a liberty with a color combination, but everything is based on factory available options and I’m building it as I would have ordered a brand new one at the dealer. However, part of the reason there were a lot of Dusters still around in my teens is that there were a lot of them in the first place.  They sold a ton of them because they were cheap cars... Dusters were considered an economy model in the Plymouth lineup.  Cheap new meant cheap used, leaving more cash to add stuff.

I turned 16 in 1985, when muscle cars were mostly just cheap used cars.  Two of the most common and inexpensive models to get were the Duster and the Nova, and it was highly unusual to see them (owned by a young person) without a set of wheels and tires slapped on them.  For nostalgia, I had to replicate that.  Thanks for looking!

My 340:

E8B751BA-3FB0-4846-A32E-E06841433F90.thumb.jpeg.9389d3f468cc82ea79247751d3865aeb.jpeg

Interior:

56E1A39C-2F80-4FB6-9B1F-065619DECCAA.thumb.jpeg.2a0d2482fc452b4c99154421bf748fbc.jpeg

Ready to cruise:

BD011CD2-CEAF-442F-BBCA-50899ECCD3A0.thumb.jpeg.2f227235bd14a5548760db0b3db5d231.jpeg

246F881F-2CF0-4A51-BFFB-15D06F7622AA.thumb.jpeg.3616bfdedd779b2beace4a3b21fe0def.jpeg

1DD4D9DD-622A-420E-9918-BAB31A2C9F35.thumb.jpeg.3f0ecb4e778ac762ad627b2c7e29c3e7.jpeg

C0667B84-85C9-43C0-8580-6561EF54F012.thumb.jpeg.372e56ac2088fad468bbe16aa2861f0a.jpeg

99991F15-2466-4DAD-A141-900DB3C2038F.thumb.jpeg.00d50331352911b463bda8a3bbb1bf4f.jpeg

9 minutes ago, randyc said:

NICE DAY 2 CAR!  All that's missing is the rust around the rear fenders and lower quarters, but it would be a shame to do that to this build.   Very nice! 

?? That would be perfect!!!  One guy in my neighborhood had a 73... it was originally brown, I think, but was mostly a hodgepodge of different color body panels and primer.  Crager 5-slots and jacked up in the rear.  I’ll always remember seeing it the first time, before he started working on it, and noticing the rust hole where the Plymouth logo was supposed to be.  It had rusted out so much the chrome logo collapsed through.  

You defiantly got the "Look" with this build. I remember a Duster model called the Gold Duster and as you would expect they were all painted Gold much like your build. Most Chrysler products of that time period would have Cragers. I like the stance better than the old "Stink Bug" look.      

Great looking Duster, Kevin!  Like others have said you really did nail that day 2 look.  How did it go together, any issues?  I've been eyeing up the Duster hiding in my stash lately and getting a bit of an urge to slap it together sometime this year.  I've been thinking maybe Hemi Orange or Go Mango for it, but man that gold you chose for your's looks sooo good, I may have to change my mind!

Very nice!  I had a red and black 72 Gold Duster in high school, took the slant six out and plopped in a moderately built 318.  I had to convert the car to manual steering to get the engine to fit as I didn't change the K frame for the V8. I made the motor mounts and it was a typical 17 year old chop and hack job.   The car was very quick but was a death trap!  I jacked it up and put the Crager SS's on just as you have represented.  The only thing I remember fighting with my 1:1 car was they did NOT like being jacked up in the rear, the torsion bar front suspension couldn't handle it very well and the front wheels always squatted and I went through front tires like crazy!  Your build brought back some good memories!  Well done!

12 minutes ago, bogger44 said:

Great looking Duster, Kevin!  Like others have said you really did nail that day 2 look.  How did it go together, any issues?  I've been eyeing up the Duster hiding in my stash lately and getting a bit of an urge to slap it together sometime this year.  I've been thinking maybe Hemi Orange or Go Mango for it, but man that gold you chose for your's looks sooo good, I may have to change my mind!

What is this day 2 look?

6 hours ago, zaina said:

Very nice!!!  Which kit is this? Revell or AMT?

It’s the AMT kit... they just re-released it in February.

5 hours ago, bogger44 said:

There was an issue getting the body and chassis joined together.  It’s a tight fit, and my left side wasn’t getting all the way up in to sit level.  I used a little crazy glue to anchor the left side into place, and it popped the rear quarter window out.  I tried to get it back in, but with the body and chassis now fused, I wasn’t going to mess with it.  So it’s cruising around on a Friday/Saturday night... the left rear quarter window is down, but the right one is up!  

Anyway, that’s the only area to really watch out for... final body/interior/chassis is tight, but everything else goes together easily.  C’mon... do it... I wanna see yours!!