Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford Victoria Hardtop

Chariots of Fire

Back in 1956 this was my first ride.  A 1953 Ford Victoria was bought for $1000.  I built up the Lindberg kit basically stock except for some real small changes here and there.  The kit came with spotlights which my car did not have.  I made up some decals for seat covers and added some exhaust extensions.  The car had whitewalls but not real ones.  Back then "Porterwalls" were common.  They were just round flaps of rubber that fit between the rim and the tire sidewall.  All it took was to deflate the tire, push it away from the rim a bit and put the white wall in place and then re-inflate the tire.  Fender skirts were real common.  Mine were mostly like the kit pieces but they covered more of the wheel well opening.  Other styles fit outside but mine were like these and fit flush with the opening itself.  Model Master light ivory was used for the body color.  Krylon dark blue was used for the top and spare tire.  That's my original license plate number on the rear.  Not exactly the best build in the world.  Mine is usually in the truck section with some scratch built stuff.  But I couldn't resist giving this one a try for old time sake.

100_0165.JPG

100_0166.JPG

100_0167.JPG

100_0168.JPG

100_0170.JPG

100_0172.JPG

100_0173.JPG

• Like 1

Beautiful looking ride. Starting out with a three year old car must have been special at the time. Your recreation looks great, did yours also have the trunk mounted "dummy" spare ? I have built a few kits of cars I have had in the past and it always brings back pleasant memories. My Avatar is a model of one of my best ones.  

3 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking ride. Starting out with a three year old car must have been special at the time. Your recreation looks great, did yours also have the trunk mounted "dummy" spare ? I have built a few kits of cars I have had in the past and it always brings back pleasant memories. My Avatar is a model of one of my best ones.  

Yes it was a dummy spare on the trunk.   I had a good time with it.  Didn't have to take the bus to school anymore for my last 2 years of high school.:)