Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some kits you know will never be available again . . .

3 hours ago, djflyer said:

Not likely this one will ever be seen again, or the DB5 that the tooling was modified from.

Thanks, I don't think I've ever seen that DB-6 kit.  A quick search showed it was also released in an MPC box.  The MPC version is on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-410-2-ASTON-MARTIN-DB6-1-25-Model-Car-Mountain-COMP/362666762491?hash=item54709fa0fb:g:nNQAAOSwvCZc8seI

db6.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Thanks, I don't think I've ever seen that DB-6 kit.  A quick search showed it was also released in an MPC box.  The MPC version is on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-410-2-ASTON-MARTIN-DB6-1-25-Model-Car-Mountain-COMP/362666762491?hash=item54709fa0fb:g:nNQAAOSwvCZc8seI

db6.jpg

Thanks for the info.  I have never seen the MPC kit and just stumbled across the Airfix kit so I grabbed it right away.  I also haven't seen anything that said the two were related, but then again I wouldnt be surprised if they were given the questionable demand for two DB6 kits.  The Airfix is definitely 24th scale so MPC would have to intentionally mis-labeled theirs, most likely to appeal to the US market and their focus on 25th scale.  I will post pictures of whats in the box under the Kits section.

Edited by djflyer

Not related at all but my very firs modelkit that i ever built was a Aston martin db5 in 1/32 from airfix.
I was 8-10 years old and my dad helped me and explaned how it worked that you had to look at the manual to se the partnumber, then find it among the other parts and glue it to the location the manual told you to.

I still have it and it looks terrible:lol:

On 5/14/2019 at 9:32 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

What makes you so sure? If you're talking about the original version Mach 1 you have pictured here, then yes, you may be right. Since it was modified into 3 other versions after this, at least the last version should still be viable though (I think it was the Autolite Special, but I could be wrong)

Really wish I could get my hands on a set of the Mach 1 version wheels though. They are sweet.

So look what I found in at Carlisle.   It was in an 85 Mustang kit with an old MPC 69 Mustang in it and some misc wheels and tires.  There was only one but at least I can get more cast.  Had I not been curious what was in that box I would have never found it.

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

59 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

So look what I found in at Carlisle.   It was in an 85 Mustang kit with an old MPC 69 Mustang in it and some misc wheels and tires.  There was only one but at least I can get more cast.  Had I not been curious what was in that box I would have never found it.

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

Those Apache wheels were also in a couple more kits too. The AMT '67 and '68 Camaro and the '71 and '72 Monte Carlo annuals and something else too that I can't think of right now .

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Aurora Chitty Chitty Bang Bang kit that I bought at Toledo a bunch of years ago. The last day of show I was doing a final sweep of vendors and there was one who had primarily non-auto kits. He had stacks of boxes that were two stacks deep. I don’t know what made me pull a front stack forward, but the very bottom kit in the back stack was this kit! 

I pulled it out and the box was warped, parts rolling around inside. Everything was off trees, wings brush painted with poster acrylics and some glue bomb assembly work done. The vendor and I agreed there was no way to quickly determine how complete it was so he was happy to get $10 for it!

i got it home and did inventory against the instruction sheet. The only part missing? A gas cap!

Think this one will come back?

I inherited this ITC (Ideal) kit from my late grandfather in the '80s. Scale is a bit larger than 1:24.  Battery acid had eaten a hole in the box bottom.

Now, Glencoe Models has been reissuing the small-scale ITC kits (similar to classic Matchbox toy cars in size) so I wonder whether they'd happen to have the tooling for these larger-scale kits or not.  The small kits are neat, but these larger ones are kinda in Palmer territory in terms of execution.  I'd be tempted to say they're gone, but I could be wrong...

ITC-Jag.jpeg.jpg.b0277c36fd4c560c436e462cb3ab1141.jpg

5d06d68c9f899_ITCModelKitRange.jpg.674ff9071c137fc127a59a5b1c2a5ff8.jpg

On June 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM, Trendsetta68 said:

Maybe these ...

I might be the only one person who'd think that these would be a cool subject for a newly tooled kit...

Screenshot_20190617-164059_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20190617-164025_Google.jpg

The Marlin is a beautiful car! I have not seen one the real deal for about 20 years....

On 17.6.2019 at 3:39 AM, Brian Austin said:

Think this one will come back?

I inherited this ITC (Ideal) kit from my late grandfather in the '80s. Scale is a bit larger than 1:24.  Battery acid had eaten a hole in the box bottom.

Now, Glencoe Models has been reissuing the small-scale ITC kits (similar to classic Matchbox toy cars in size) so I wonder whether they'd happen to have the tooling for these larger-scale kits or not.  The small kits are neat, but these larger ones are kinda in Palmer territory in terms of execution.  I'd be tempted to say they're gone, but I could be wrong...

ITC-Jag.jpeg.jpg.b0277c36fd4c560c436e462cb3ab1141.jpg

5d06d68c9f899_ITCModelKitRange.jpg.674ff9071c137fc127a59a5b1c2a5ff8.jpg

Yes, I have that Merdeces Benz sedan. On the boxart (and on the poster above) it looks like a W180 (220 "ponton") or a W120 (180/190 "Ponton")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W180
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W120/W121
But what it actually in the box looks more like cross between a W186 (300 "Adenauer" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W186 )  and something that could maybe be a mid40s Chevy or Ford. A total of 23 parts (that includes 4 wheels and 2 axles and a separate roof but no windowglass) makes it a true masterpiece of a kit.
That Jaguar of yours actually looks a lot better even if it is very "off" in the proportions aswell.

Edited by Atmobil

I might want to chase down one of these ITC kits:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-to-Find-1950s-Ideal-Co-Plastic-Toy-Pegaso-Model-Kit-Original-Box-/123726040907

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On the other hand, I think I'd avoid their Rolls-Royce
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

As far as my Jaguar goes, I might consider removing the roof to make it a roadster.

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

A correct Marlin would be awesome ! Even the JoHan kit would "suffice" (not that it's bad by any stretch--- just that its tooling is likely gone forever) . 

Didn't the '66 & up JoHan AMC's still have the old Nash 287 / 327 V8 in them ?

I do like the Johan body ..... but the chassis definitely needs updated. 

The drivetrain as well...not sure what engine the Johan AMC's were using ???

Still looking for a blue bomb Renwal! Virgil Exner Bugatti to renovate and put on display at the Bugatti Trust Museum here in the UK. If anyone can help with one gathering dust somewhere please get in touch via the forum private message service. I am a retired on a limited income,  so not looking for a pristine kit from Ebay. An old knocked about one with bits missing would be fine. Hope someone out there can help me with a donor model for this venture. Even just an old  body on its own would be fine.Thanks.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 02/06/2019 at 1:24 AM, djflyer said:

Thanks for the info.  I have never seen the MPC kit and just stumbled across the Airfix kit so I grabbed it right away.  I also haven't seen anything that said the two were related, but then again I wouldnt be surprised if they were given the questionable demand for two DB6 kits.  The Airfix is definitely 24th scale so MPC would have to intentionally mis-labeled theirs, most likely to appeal to the US market and their focus on 25th scale.  I will post pictures of whats in the box under the Kits section.

Same kit.  Airfix released the MPC '67 Charger and '67 GTO over here, listing them as 1/24 scale. :rolleyes:

Mercedes Benz . Rolls Royce . Jaguar XK 120 (IMHO the best of the lot) . Allard . second best . Nash Healy : it was missing Grille ect .. Anyone have one . lol .. . I have the Ferarri Kit also . It is not what is pictured on the box . I will take and Post Pics . That is if anyone want to see these ? These are the original Post WW II Plastic Model Car Kits . I have the Pegasso too . Model Cars Prior the these .. wood - multi media kits . Hmmm .. like Modern High Dollar Kits today .  Sold under  ITC and Ringo Brand names . Not concurrently .  Thanx 

'50's MB Sedan f.JPG

'50's RR f.JPG

Ringo XK 120 f.JPG

IMGP1591.JPG

Nash Healy f.JPG

Edited by dimaxion