Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fire??

NYLIBUD

Dozens of very special and rare Chevrolets  burned to a crisp in a horrific fire that occurred in an upstate NY town,Ellenville.The cars,(Corvettes,Camaro's,& other rare sports cars),were at a dealership that was scheduled to be filmed in an HBO mini series.Instead a fire broke out, destroying the dealership and just about every car:(

217434C9-F3CE-4769-8428-5F62217495B3.jpeg

Yea the more I look at the pics,I agree.The article made it sound like there were rare muscle cars, and old Vettes.Not a bunch of 85 IROCS.But still I’m sure that there were some nice cars that got destroyed.Apparently there were older cars that had hardly any miles on them.Cars that were pampered their whole lives, then POOF ,in one minute they were gone.Fire and cars just don’t mix too well:P

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yea the more I look at the pics,I agree.The article made it sound like there were rare muscle cars, and old Vettes.Not a bunch of 85 IROCS.But still I’m sure that there were some nice cars that got destroyed.Apparently there were older cars that had hardly any miles on them.Cars that were pampered their whole lives, then POOF ,in one minute they were gone.Fire and cars just don’t mix too well:P

These 80s Camaros and Firebirds are becoming considerably more valuable every day.

I just remember not being impressed with them when I was a kid, and they haven't grown on me.

I have a basic contempt for cars from the 80s.

I don't believe there was a worse decade for automotive styling.

Steve

Well there was the Grand National,and GNX.I mean who would’ve thought that Buick would build the super car for the 80s,And way beyond.These cars are now in the six figures, and climbing.IMO,the GNX is one of the nicest looking cars ever designed and built.You can describe the car as you would a sexy woman.:DIts a sexy car....For men.The lines are perfect.

FE61AE8A-825F-4DB1-A82C-A56ADBD63F73.jpeg

F22157A6-5615-42DA-BDB5-64BBFEF02BB6.jpeg

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well there was the Grand National,and GNX.I mean who would’ve thought that Buick would build the super car for the 80s,And way beyond.These cars are now in the six figures, and climbing.IMO,the GNX is one of the nicest looking cars ever designed and built.You can describe the car as you would a sexy woman.:DIts a sexy car....For men.The lines are perfect.

I have to respectfully disagree.

To me, it looks like every other "econo-box" from that era.

There was little difference in appearance between the Buick and it's cousins, the Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix and Olds Cutlass.

Nothing "sexy" about any of them in my opinion.

image.thumb.png.d9f998fc0f12126d71fa43fa7129dde8.png

image.png.7f19114b6def5d09c148190b96366338.png

image.png.a5e605847cc9257a032539829ec3b6bb.png

If I would have HAD to pick one, I probably would have taken a Monte Carlo SS.

In my opinion, it was the best looking of the 4.

image.png.087f61d02f4aa22c556f80e5547a11d9.png

But then again, I would have taken a 1969/70 version of any of them in a heart beat!

image.png.564a01d5c054bd6081ef8589e2ee47c7.png

image.png.1c3614fdb2ad46e32944a97557788929.png

image.png.d3ed0d98d7bdddc1bf3bccc8d0d1ce3d.png

image.png.99ec2fbb742a9e6571cf5e9a679c020c.png

Now we're talking sexy!!! ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

~yawn~  Another day on planet Earth.  When that generation of Camaro/Firebird came out, thought they were an improvement, but never wanted one.  The plastic bumpers tend to melt in Arizona, look like BLAH after getting baked.

1 hour ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Now that is news!  A Bentley and a 20s Bugatti, now that's sad.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Always sad to see somebody's old cars destroyed, whether they're particularly "desirable" or not.

Lotsa salvageable parts on the visible hulks though, so I hope they don't go straight to the crusher. 

You're right Ace.

It's sad "for the owner".

It's just that the rest of us don't care. :D

I often wonder how many people who have real family heirlooms, or cars that they have lovingly built or restored with their own hands over many years, lose them in tornadoes, fires, floods and other disasters every year.

Those are the guys that I really feel for.

These guys that can afford to keep a warehouse full of cars will just start over again and probably have a new warehouse full of cars within a few months.

Steve 

I never liked those rounded (aerodynamic) "soap bar" body styles from the '80s, and they haven't grown on me yet (and never will).

However I did like the more chiseled look of the GM cars like the Buick Grand National.  I currently own a 1985 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz and I think it is a very good looking and elegant car.

Well what's collectible can be subjective from one person to the next and also from era to era. Remember, we used to sniff at the '70's cars even when they were new, but from what I've seen at the car shows, they are turning up now------with crowds around them.

Who'da thought?? :D

That collection of cars while not as valuable as some of the '60's stuff.........give it 10-15 years. ;)

15 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Well what's collectible can be subjective from one person to the next and also from era to era. Remember, we used to sniff at the '70's cars even when they were new, but from what I've seen at the car shows, they are turning up now------with crowds around them.

Who'da thought?? :D

That collection of cars while not as valuable as some of the '60's stuff.........give it 10-15 years. ;)

I really like the big 70s boats.And your right, whenever I go to a car show,I see a bunch of early to late model 70s cars.Example,there was a wood grain, show room condition AMC Pacer ,with hardly any miles on the pacer.It was sitting next to a really nice Mustang and 69 Camaro..The crowd was all around the pacer.U gotta love it.??

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I care more about 80s Camaros than I do about 60s Camaros. It's the generation I grew up with.

I read about fires and destruction of cars from the 50s and 60s, and for the most part don't really care. 

I grew up with the later generations as well.......which is why I like 50s and 60s cars.

I know what 80s cars were like! :D

Steve

Read several articles about the fire the other day. Apparently the story spans several decades and that car dealership was seen in all of them. Looks like there were many other cars for the filming inside the building at the time, so the carnage might not have been limited to just '80s cars. 

Whatever happened, it's very sad, and so unnecessary. :(

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Read several articles about the fire the other day. Apparently the story spans several decades and that car dealership was seen in all of them. Looks like there were many other cars for the filming inside the building at the time, so the carnage might not have been limited to just '80s cars. 

Whatever happened, it's very sad, and so unnecessary. :(

Exactly, there were other more expensive and rare cars in the building.Not just the 80s cars out front.And yes, the whole thing is sad.Well it’s sad whenever a nice car goes up in flames.?