Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus gold

I followed this one, quickly went past my limit!

Modelhaus resin 1960 Buick 4 dr HT Body & parts Builder kit vintage rare

See original listing
Modelhaus-resin-1960-Buick-4-dr-HT-Body-amp-parts-Builder-kit-vintage-rare
Item Sold

Condition:
Used

Body with parts only. See photos and description

Ended:
Jul 27, 2019 , 6:00PM

Winning bid:
US $524.51
23 bids ]

Shipping:
$10.50 Expedited Shipping

If someone owns the 1:1 version and wants a model, that's the only way they'll get one.  Even if they have the ability to convert a kit body, the kits aren't exactly all over the place either.

Now let's see if they actually pay!  :P

Even with Modelhaus out of business, never say never!

I'd venture that like model cars, a small percentage of resin actually gets built.  Lately I've seen a few collections of resin kits offered at shows.  Either people are passing away or liquidating their hoards. With patience we will see it in the secondary market

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I'd venture that like model cars, a small percentage of resin actually gets built.  Lately I've seen a few collections of resin kits offered at shows.  Either people are passing away or liquidating their hoards. With patience we will see it in the secondary market

Exactly Tom! I certainly have my share of resin kits and God knows how many plastic kits I have. I've lost count. The time will approach down the road where I'll have to consider getting rid of a lot of them as the models will outlive me with many never getting built. I'm starting to notice even in the 1:1 world at shows and auctions, the ever changing "face" of the hobby. There are some young people, but it's mostly us gray haired guys that remember these cars when we were kids and many young people obviously can't relate to them.

I've been noticing on eBay in fact quite a few collections turning up for auction. Untouched original kits that languish because either the seller has the starting price too high, or indeed the interest in those kits just isn't there as it might have been 10-20 years ago.

Interesting just the same and that nagging thought does come up every once in a while--------just WHO is going to want all these models of mine in say 20-30 years, or whenever?? :huh:

55 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Interesting just the same and that nagging thought does come up every once in a while--------just WHO is going to want all these models of mine in say 20-30 years, or whenever?? :huh:

Ive already begun the thinning process.

I plan to thin at least a few hundred kits out of the pile over the next year ,,or less if I can

My wife and daughters have already said they have no interest in the unbuilt stuff.( regardless of age , condition, subject matter  or value)  Should something happen to me, they would sell the unbuilts and builders and keep the built stuff.

8 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ive already begun the thinning process.

I plan to thin at least a few hundred kits out of the pile over the next year ,,or less if I can

I've never really sold anything in all the years I've been building / collecting as an adult... that's 31 years of hoarding!

I was down in the model vault the other day looking for something. I'm fairly organized. Most of the unbuilt kits are in AMT/Revell cases and each one is marked with the contents  "Chevy Pickups"  "Mopar 1960s"   etc.   so I usually find what I seek pretty easily.   Then I looked at the large boxes in the back corner of the room.  These are Home Depot  Large moving boxes, half a dozen of them, that I've never looked into in the nine years since I moved!   They are full of oversized kits, foreign kits I swear I've never seen before and other things I will never ever build.  

So yes, it may be time to start thinning.

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Long drive!  :P

Good eye Sir!

Great admiration for you ability to retain all your treasures!

Tom and all a word of Caution . I did in the past label what was in my Archives the contents in each Cardboard Box . Necessity is the Mother of invention . I was forced to down size . I had a choice of 1) throwing out 75% of my Collection to Landfill . Or 2) Landfilling every Box instead . 15 Large Capacity Garbage , with flattened Model Boxes , cans later all were bagged . Yet , I still labeled the Cardboard Boxes the Contents . My Archives along with much of our life went into paid storage until we had the money to erect a shed in our Yard .  Resulting with 2 Thefts while in Storage . Needless to say , necessity strikes again . The containers have letters on them and I have a notebook with the Key to what is what . Lesson learned . We live in a dishonest world . Thanx 

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I agree with you on that. Infact, we have a fellow modelclubmember that has sold out his collection. He was collection big time trough the 80s and 90s but have in later years changed his mind and focus. He started selling out his collection at modelclubmeetings and the few shows that we have here in Norway some 10-15 years ago and have been slowly selling everything, last time I met him he was trying to sell off rattlecanw with paint as all the kits are gone. He had a big collection of rare resin truck kits that he never built answell as a even bigger collection of plastic kits (mostly cars and trucks, many asian and european but mostly US I think). I did buy quite a few kits of him during these years.

I've been "thinning the herd" for a few years now and I'm still not done. I have a few Modelhaus kits that I really like but will I really ever build them. I know that I could sell them and someone had commented on insane prices, however the bottom line is either the person wants them or they don't.

I too have sold some items off, though not at any sort of pace that would matter.  I've thought about whittling down to one or two "collections" like Indy 500 pace cars (probably have all that were made in 1/25 scale plastic, resin, or diecast) or certain makes of cars.  I could probably just cut down to projects already started and still have plenty.  But they don't eat, and I'll never let it get to where I'd rent space to store them, so for now they can stay.

As for the Modelhaus piece, how many were produced compared with the '66 Valiant promo that came up earlier in the week, or the rarest of plastic kits like the Jo-Han '69 Rebel? 

17 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Exactly Tom! I certainly have my share of resin kits and God knows how many plastic kits I have. I've lost count. The time will approach down the road where I'll have to consider getting rid of a lot of them as the models will outlive me with many never getting built. I'm starting to notice even in the 1:1 world at shows and auctions, the ever changing "face" of the hobby. There are some young people, but it's mostly us gray haired guys that remember these cars when we were kids and many young people obviously can't relate to them.

I've been noticing on eBay in fact quite a few collections turning up for auction. Untouched original kits that languish because either the seller has the starting price too high, or indeed the interest in those kits just isn't there as it might have been 10-20 years ago.

Im in my late 30's and have started selling off kits that I was never going to build, and or just lost interest in them,   a good amount of them I bought just for the Whats In The Box videos, but with space being limited in my current house for both built and unbuilt, there is no point in keeping kits that I don't want to build.   Now if I could just sell the rest of the stack, I would be happier.

18 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

just WHO is going to want all these models of mine in say 20-30 years, or whenever??

I'll give ya 50 bucks. lol.

I'm already realizing it will take me years to get through current projects, let alone start new builds. 60-70 kits could last me the rest of my life. I don't know how anyone thinks they're gonna build all 500+ kits in their stash!!

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I too have sold some items off, though not at any sort of pace that would matter.  I've thought about whittling down to one or two "collections" like Indy 500 pace cars (probably have all that were made in 1/25 scale plastic, resin, or diecast) or certain makes of cars. 

My plan is thin down to just old annuals and vintage drag cars. Those alone probably amount to over 200 cars, still more than I'll likely finish before I'm breathing dirt. But  the rest are going bye bye , piece by piece.

I'm in process of buying a rather expensive vintage 1/1 car. that I want to have here by years end.  And as such,,, odds are my time at the bench will become even less than it already has the past couple years

I had been selling off/reducing what I had been collecting and was getting close to what I felt was a comfortable stash, but realized I still have too much for what I will likely build. The trouble is that I see resin stuff and new kits and BAM! I am buying stuff I said I wasn't going to!

In regards to Modelhaus kits/parts, I have a couple of resin kits and some parts, might sell off , might build, not sure yet. Could I flip them on eBay and make a couple of bucks? Sure, but that isn't why I bought them in the first place so don't know.

What needs to happen here on this site is the allowing of sales between veteran members. E-model cars is a joke [No Offense, but it is].

I trust a great many here to send things and Paypal is always an option. The buying and selling must be allowed if many of us older guys are to thin to people who care about what we have and have plans to build our treasures.

Moratorium on "No Selling here"