Model Cars Magazine Forum

definition of street rod and hot rod

I'm not sure if there is a real definition or not

But to me a hot rod is more geared towards drag racing but still a streetable car

A street rod has hot rod components and appeal but more of it geared towards a more comfortable ride and creature comforts like AC and power windows. Looks like a hot rod but drives nice

I believe a ”Street Rod” is a hot rodded automobile built through the 1948 model year and a “Hot Rod” is vehicle modified to perform better than a stock vehicle would, which could be a fender less Model T with a worked over Flathead 4 to the to the trailer park Camaros  that that were used for Bumblebee in the first and last Transformers movies neighbor kid’s ‘97 Civic with the AWD and K-Motor swapped into from a CRV that some “Karen” totaled on her way to talk to some poor manager, to a late model muscle car or super car that has been made even more ridiculously faster than it already was.

Near as I can tell, originally street rod was just to distinguish a hot rod built to be used for the street, as opposed to one built for racing.   The term "street rod" has been around since at least 1953, and Hot Rod Magazine's March 1950 article on Bill Niekamp's prize winning roadster described it as a "street roadster"

I think Jeffery's definition above is closest to my own.

As Richard mentions, the term "street rod" has been around for a long time and I'd suggest it has perhaps shifted a little.  IMHO, these days  when people say "street rod" they're generally talking about a car with late-model engine and suspension components and a modern-style interior,  as opposed to the current "hot rod" aesthetic that is more focused on vintage-inspired design and engineering choices.

It's mostly about the "spirit" of the car: if it's designed for speed at any cost (ie poor comfort or handling)...it has something in common with the earliest hot rods. This can be applied to more modern cars too, like a Mazda Miata with a Dodge Hellcat engine. Hot Rod Magazine has gone this route.

If it's designed for driveability, reliability, cruising, and looking tough while using all the latest gadgets...it feels more like a street rod. Power steering, a late-model engine, GPS, power seats, digital gauges, modern wheels and tires...if the builder has gone out of his way to make the car seem as much like a new car as possible, I'd classify it as a Street Rod.

That said, just about everyone has their own opinion!

Hot rods:

9fe574016c5dbee66d7996e7fb281db1.jpghqdefault.jpg

Street Rods: (the pink/yellow Chevy was someone's idea of "modern" back in the 1980s! )

67911313-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=3americas-most-beautiful-roadster-6107.jpg

Edited by Spex84

IMHO, the use of the terms has shifted over the years. Both terms originated at the same time. They were originally used to differentiate between two different types  of modified vehicles, but as their definitions got blurred they became interchangeable (for better or worse) But as time marched on "hot rod" got left behind referencing cars built with pre-1960's components, and "street rod" kept advancing in use to mean a car produced before 1948 with modern (for the time it is being applied as a label)) components used. The thing is that none of these "rules" are hard and fast and there are many exceptions to each "rule" which is what causes the confusion. 

Just to throw another term into the confusion, the term "Rat Rod" is now (incorrectly) used by lots of people in reference to any old car especially pre 1948 body styles, even if they're actually not true Rat Rods.

Ain't American lingo great? ?

On 2/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

A street rod has an SBC in the front and a can of wax in the trunk, while a hot rod has a flathead in the front and a tool box in the trunk. -RRR

The irony is,  on anything built after say 1955, the choice of a flathead over a SBC, or just about anything else for that matter, is about aesthetics rather than performance.

Not that there's a single thing wrong with going that route, of course.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:37 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

A street rod has an SBC in the front and a can of wax in the trunk, while a hot rod has a flathead in the front and a tool box in the trunk. -RRR

My truck has a small block and I occasionally polish and wax it. It must be a Street Rod. ?

On 2/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, Draggon said:

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Here are two 32 Fords. 

This is a Hot Rod:

McMullenroadster_01_1500-700x442.jpg

And this is a Street Rod:

Image result for 32 ford street rod

These Deuces are great examples of the differences, for me.  If you can SEE all the mechanical stuff proudly displayed, the axles, the suspension, the frame, the engine, then you’re more in Hot Rod territory...and if you’re hiding all that stuff and smoothing it all out and painting it modern colors then you’re more street-roddy.

It has much less to do with the age of the car than the attitude and vision the builder had when building it for ME.  YMMV