Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maintenance Finished -- PLEASE READ THIS

12 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Which area? 

The whole Trucks section was gone.  I searched and found my VW Microbus thread, but no comment box was available.

*EDIT* That was last night, it's working now!

Edited by 89AKurt

9 hours ago, Xingu said:

Big Boyz are being merged back into the regular Model Cars and Model Trucks areas. Same is happening with Diecast, Resincast and 3D models.

I never understood this separation of scales in the car sections.  A model car is a model car.  Under Glass should encompass all scales of automobiles.  That is a welcome change. Also nice that other types of models gained their own Under Glass sections. Good job!

I like the changes. There are common sense categories that no doubt were changed because people voiced it!

One last things I’d like is to allow clubs and shows to make timely announcements on the general boards. It’s fine to have those separate categories but people do not go there.

It’s frustrating for events to try to get word out on a change, such as the recent need to communicate cancellations and postponements. I  know Dan was trying to let people know about his show going online and his post got moved.

I'm still getting a call a week from people asking if NNL East is still on for next Saturday.  (No it’s been postponed until September- NJ is on shut down)

Edited by Tom Geiger

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I like the changes. There are common sense categories that no doubt were changed because people voiced it!

One last things I’d like is to allow clubs and shows to make timely announcements on the general boards. It’s fine to have those separate categories but people do not go there.

It’s frustrating for events to try to get word out on a change, such as the recent need to communicate cancellations and postponements. I  know Dan was trying to let people know about his show going online and his post got moved.

I'm still getting a call a week from people asking if NNL East is still on for next Saturday.  (No it’s been postponed until September- NJ is on shut down)

I have an idea for that and ran it up the chain of command.

11 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks Dave for the new categories!  However I have seen no improvement on the slow performance issues I'm experiencing.  

9 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Rats — I’ll keep investigating. 

Could this be a problem with so many people home and on the internet?

1 minute ago, slusher said:

Could this be a problem with so many people home and on the internet?

Unfortunately, we've eliminated that possibility. A few people are getting slow response when they're logged in, and fast response when they aren't logged in. I did some database maintenance that I was hoping would at least alleviate the problem, but it hasn't done so. I'll open a support ticket with the forum software vendor later this week.

21 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Other than the obnoxious red-coloured bar across the top which reads ' Maintenance Complete '  that persists on hanging around , all looks good . 

I see that bar is working! It is there to make sure everyone reads the thread that quickly explains the changes. It will stay a while longer so that more folks can read the thread before they start sending messages saying the board is broken.

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

I see that bar is working! It is there to make sure everyone reads the thread that quickly explains the changes. It will stay a while longer so that more folks can read the thread before they start sending messages saying the board is broken.

Very well then . I'd figured that it was there for that reason ; I was hoping that it'd disappear once one's server recognised the notification . 

Thank you for the information .

On 4/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Unfortunately, we've eliminated that possibility. A few people are getting slow response when they're logged in, and fast response when they aren't logged in. I did some database maintenance that I was hoping would at least alleviate the problem, but it hasn't done so. I'll open a support ticket with the forum software vendor later this week.

I hope the software vendor can find a solution, the slow loading speed is becoming tedious and sucking the fun out of the forum for me.

29 minutes ago, afx said:

I hope the software vendor can find a solution, the slow loading speed is becoming tedious and sucking the fun out of the forum for me.

I'm finding individual threads aren't too bad, but I usually have Unread Content as my starting page and that's taking nine or ten seconds to load.