Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427 csx3243

Belugawrx

Built from the Revell GmbH, Sam Feinstein 1:24th kit, put out in 2006. I tried to replicate the Cobra in the movie "Gumball Rally"

YK9gAAo.jpg

Great movie I remember seeing in the theatre back in 1976, at 14, I fell in love with that car?

I cut out and hinged the doors and the trunk, and added the trunk interior bucket.

Added engine wiring and plumbing, as well as front inner fenders, double electric fans up front.

I scratched a battery and fuel pumps for the trunk, and added toggles and wire bezels to the dash, hand painted the cibie lights and 427 badges.....

...oh and an ashtray had to be installed just ahead of the shifter ...lmbo ..still makes me laugh..every convertible needs an ashtray...

Body paint is water based, craftsmart flat metallic Sapphire Blue covered with Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear, everything else is Tamiya, Testors or Duplicolor.

Anyways enough talking here's pics

xRIqevo.jpg

7ULz3UL.jpg

xjBHGoV.jpg

9gk5MDX.jpg

THNdCrD.jpg

m85qzrD.jpg

MFBYUXc.jpg

Funny thing about this paint is the colour change under different lighting...

8mH4s86.jpg

5f1GzYd.jpg

ek3VmkW.jpg

goAO636.jpg

There were difficulties with this kit like, no mounting pins, channels, locator spotsfor a solid connection.

The body, interior tub, and frame just kinda float ,so ya dry fit dry fit dry fit.

All in all a fun build

6tssmTO.jpg

qvSxpyK.jpg

Cheers everyone and stay safe

Edited by Belugawrx

Very well built and photographed Cobra. I really like the features you added. I am impressed that you added the inner fender panels, something sorely missed in the Revell kit and not added by many builders. The Fujimi kit and the old AMT 289 has inner fender panels but I am not sure if there are any after market versions available. 

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Very well built and photographed Cobra. I really like the features you added. I am impressed that you added the inner fender panels, something sorely missed in the Revell kit and not added by many builders. The Fujimi kit and the old AMT 289 has inner fender panels but I am not sure if there are any after market versions available. 

Nothing aftermarket for the panels that I have seen.  However, the Fujumi it a good source for parts since it is not a real Cobra insofar as it was supposed to based on a Shelby continuation/tribute car and so they should be similar to a real one versus the many kit cars available to buy or build.  One of the funniest reviews I read was of the Fujumi kit by a MAMA member in our monthly newsletter.  Let's just say Fujumi did not send him any kits in appreciation for his glowing review.  I found one I printed out so now I can point everyone to the December 2004 Mama Sez newsletter If you want to check it out.  While there a hundreds of diecast Cobra models out there (presumably with legit licensing from SA) wouldn't it be nice to have a nice 289 kit in 1/24 and a 427 in 1/25?

Edited by vamach1

Thanks everyone for stopping by to have a look !

The inner front panels were made from drink cans (beer), and I did search all over for any aftermarket parts for this and couldn't find anything....

Seems odd, because of the popularity of this car over the years, you would think there would be more out there.

Cheers all, stay safe and build more !

15 hours ago, ATHU said:

Very very nice, love the dio!!

Thanks, I'll put up a how to on the base in Tips, when I get a chance...real easy

11 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Another jaw dropper.  Every detail considered. Nice work Bruce.

Thanks Mike

10 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Fantastic job and excellent details! This one's on my to do list real soon, as that is one of my all time favorite movies.

Good luck on your build, I'll watch for it, for sure.

Stay safe all...Cheers

11 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

AWESOME!!

On 5/1/2020 at 8:37 AM, Scalper said:

Wow great build this is awesome I like everything about it 

On 5/1/2020 at 8:31 AM, slusher said:

Outstanding Cobra Bruce!!

Thanks Andre, Carl, and Larry..I'm glad you like it, thanks for commenting.

Cheers

On 5/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, Dann Tier said:

Motion picture PERFECT, Bud!!!!

Thanks Dann..good enough for the long shots ..lol

On 5/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, crazyjim said:

Well detailed, clean, SHINY ???.  It's all there.

Thanks Jim

On 5/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, ChrisR said:

VERY NICE!!

Thanks Chris

On 5/4/2020 at 7:28 PM, polybius said:

Very nice work on this!  The details are spot-on, well done!

Thanks Jess..got a little O.C.D. at the end there...so had to stop lol

After seeing Ali diving into the engine bay with a wrench, made me cringe, so I made her an engine blanket..

229e2nT.jpg

Be safe out there 

Cheers