Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

I have to agree with you Mr. Mopar. The time it has taken Revell to get this kit available for purchase has been too long for me, my interest has faded away. My recent understanding is there will be several future variations of this kit released; I'll be waiting to see what those might be and hopefully my interest in one of those kits will be enough to rekindle my interest enough to open my wallet.

7 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

I have to agree with you Mr. Mopar. The time it has taken Revell to get this kit available for purchase has been too long for me, my interest has faded away. My recent understanding is there will be several future variations of this kit released; I'll be waiting to see what those might be and hopefully my interest in one of those kits will be enough to rekindle my interest enough to open my wallet.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:
8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

What is the hold up on this kit ,I'm losing interest in it ,Revell is way to slow getting it to market .

If you guys are serious I think you're being a little unrealistic in your expectations in my opinion. Sure, someone at Revell accidently shared their crew 3D scanning the car nearly 3 years ago, but that post was meant to highlight the 3D scanning process, and not the subject matter. Once they realized what they had done Revell took down the images from their account.

We are normally not made aware of projects at the very beginning of the process like that. Kits are normally announced when the process is MUCH further along, usually less than a year before the kit is intended to hit the market. So holding it against Revell that it is taking too long isn't really fair. Add into the mix a global pandemic and it feels pretty "on track" to me.

• Like 8

Very interested in this kit; have been ever since it was leaked some 3 years ago.

My AMT "Macho Mustang" was OK. My MPC 71 "Boss 351" was meh. Never built the Lindberg/Palmer kit.

This Revell kit is gonna smoke 'em all.

Surprised only by the non-chromed headlight buckets, but that can be worked around.

Super stoked to hear HPI Guy mention there are about 5 planned versions for this.

1) Boss 351 

2) Bond version ✓

3) Elanor???

4) Convertible???

5) 72-73 versions? Racing version? Grande version?

This thing is like Pokemon: I might hafta collect 'em all.

4 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

^^YUP^^

Much rather they take every minute they need to get it right. And if an engraved intake duct is the worst we're dealing with, that's more than right enough for me.

Raruh!

7 ways "Blazing Saddles" changed my life - OnMilwaukee

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It was definitely a design of its times...I esp. like the '71-73 styling on the convertible..the long hood goes well w/ the top down, IMO.   It's predecessor ('69-70) is my favorite styling of the fastback (Sportsroof) vintage Mustangs, IMO...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

It was definitely a design of its times...I esp. like the '71-73 styling on the convertible..the long hood goes well w/ the top down, IMO.   It's predecessor ('69-70) is my favorite styling of the fastback (Sportsroof) vintage Mustangs, IMO...

Yes - most other cars were getting larger and then the gas prices and insurance shot up and Iacocca got his little jewel Mustang II just in time to sell three times as many as the previous years.  I love 71-72 Mustangs and if you look at any Mustang since 2005 they are just as big and many with twice the power as cars in the early 70’s and a heck of lot safer.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Summed up my analysis of those two distinct styles -- the '71-'73 certainly does lend a better convertible basis. 

Were there any drop-top Mustangs after '72 ?

I always thought the '71-'73 Mustangs looked big. A few years back on the freeway on the way to a car show I passed a '71 Mach I traveling to the same show. It looked pretty small compared to modern traffic...I was surprised.

Some perspective: 

59D1A5AE-77D8-477B-B102-53E1CFB9FD45_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

I always thought the '71-'73 Mustangs looked big. A few years back on the freeway on the way to a car show I passed a '71 Mach I traveling to the same show. It looked pretty small compared to modern traffic...I was surprised.

'71-72 Mustang is only 2 inches longer than the '69-70, but 3 inches wider...proportions are different also, hood is longer..   the 6th gen ('15-23) in comparison, is slightly shorter than the '71-72 and about an inch wider.

Edited by Rob Hall

4 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I was referring to the 1971-1973 style. I know that there were 1971 converts, but I couldn't remember if they made it past 1972 model year. 

Through '73..the Cougar and Mustang were Ford's only convertibles for '73.   The last year for the LTD convertible was '72, and the Torino bowed out after '71. 

Here's a sharp '73...

1973_ford_mustang_convertible_1636059037841f66b4bfc2e78933IMG_0163.jpg.webp

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1