Model Cars Magazine Forum

Code J6 Green-Go 1971 Plymouth RoadRunner with mid-year Canopy Vinyl Roof Option

tim boyd

This model was constructed about 20 years ago as a pretty much box stock buildup of MPC's 1971 Road Runner kit (in this case, the AMT-Ertl c. 1987 reissue of same).  

Kitbashing included the wheels, "Day 2" BFG tires, and the addition of the very rare mid-year canopy vinyl roof option. 

The engine compartment and underbody was mostly the  original kit components (this one was built before the AMT-Ertl 1971 Charger R/T kit was introduced, which provides a great source of more accurate underbody details, as can be seen in a very sharp build underway right now by Bob Spedding in the "WIP" section of this forum). 

Basic engine compartment wiring was added (looks like on of the heater hoses may have slipped out of its firewall connection point....). 

Paint is 1971 Code J6 Green Go (Plymouth)/Sassy Grass Green (Dodge) aerosol from MCW Automotive Finishes.  

Thanks for looking....TIM 

DSC 1094

DSC 1095

DSC 1096

DSC 1097

DSC 1098

DSC 1099

DSC 1100

DSC 1104

Edited by tim boyd

Looks GREAT , Tim !  I wasn't aware that the V4* top became an option in mid-year ; I'm used to seeing V1* tops . At least the standard strobe stripe could be had in-addition to a vinyl top by mid-year .

FJ6 Sassy Grass is a lovely colour on 1970-1971 Plymouths . I believe that GJ3 "replaced" FJ6 in the "kitchen green" spectrum . 

I still have a Modelhaüs 1972 MPC Road Runner front bumper , grille , rear bumper , and tail lamps that I bought umpteen years ago , and two of the 1987-issue 1971 R.R.'s in my stash . Some day , one of them will be a 1972 440+6 Road Runner . 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Some day , one of them will be a 1972 440+6 Road Runner . 

YEAH John!  What, we've now seen verified documentation of 4 1972 440+6 B-Bodies (Road Runner and Charger), or was that 4 Road Runners alone and another 1-2 Charger Rallyes?   (For you non-Mopar buffs, the 440+6 was for years determined to be cancelled before the start of the 1972 model year...that's now been determined to be incorrect info). 

Here's the '71 alongside a MPC '72 RR painted in 1972 1/2 Code J3 Plymouth B-Body-only Meadow Green (for Mopar Trivia buffs only: the same mid-year J3 Willow Green color introduced on 1971 1/2 Chargers including the Topper package...). 

DSC 0344

DSC 1124

Best////TIM 

All...thanks again for your great comments.  

And yes, for those of you who mentioned it, the '71 was part of comparo/buildup article (MPC '71 RR vs. Revell (Monogram) '71 GTX, in one of the Car Modeler annuals around 2001 or so....

Best....TIM 

On 10/27/2020 at 9:56 AM, tim boyd said:

This model was constructed about 20 years ago as a pretty much box stock buildup of MPC's 1971 Road Runner kit (in this case, the AMT-Ertl c. 1987 reissue of same).  

Kitbashing included the wheels, "Day 2" BFG tires, and the addition of the very rare mid-year canopy vinyl roof option. 

The engine compartment and underbody was mostly the  original kit components (this one was built before the AMT-Ertl 1971 Charger R/T kit was introduced, which provides a great source of more accurate underbody details, as can be seen in a very sharp build underway right now by Bob Spedding in the "WIP" section of this forum). 

Basic engine compartment wiring was added (looks like on of the heater hoses may have slipped out of its firewall connection point....). 

Paint is 1971 Code J6 Green Go (Plymouth)/Sassy Grass Green (Dodge) aerosol from MCW Automotive Finishes.  

Thanks for looking....TIM 

DSC 1094

DSC 1095

DSC 1096

DSC 1097

DSC 1098

DSC 1099

DSC 1100

DSC 1104

That's right purty, Tim, and I like how you detailed the wheels, something that many modelers overlook. Man I really gotta get back on my 71 one of these days!