Model Cars Magazine Forum

time to get rid of stuff

You just missed a show in Spartanburg that would have been a good place to unload some kits. There is a show scheduled in May for Simpsonville SC (near Greenville) that you should be able to sell some kits at.

As was mentioned, price them fairly and you will sell them. I have yet to sell on eBay due to the time factor you mentioned.

13 hours ago, slusher said:

They are strict about selling on the forum. Only private message or private email. That’s just how it is....

Yes i know, I have bought numerous times and sold numerous times in private message/ email and never had a single issue! I have had dealings with many on this forum and never had a single issue. It's just my opinion 

31 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Yes i know, I have bought numerous times and sold numerous times in private message/ email and never had a single issue! I have had dealings with many on this forum and never had a single issue. It's just my opinion 

We have really good people.

I know you would still end up shipping but you could just put a bunch up here in the trading forum and work out your "trades" in PM I'm sure there would be plenty of wants here....

51 minutes ago, slusher said:

We have really good people.

32 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

we have the best people!! This is a great bunch of guys on this board!

You both are absolutely right there is a bunch a great people here

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

It wouldn't be the regular members that would be the problem..... If selling was allowed, there would be a bunch of folks join just to sell stuff.

Ways around that, the board could set a post minimum but I would set that high 1000 or more posts and a thread start min as well like 250 and then offer an elite member package like a subscription for a fee. Those three things combined would weed out most, nothings perfect. 

Ebay would be the biggest hassle for kits. You live in car country, I'm sure there are interested modelers in your area. I'd favor the swap meets and Facebook garage sale so you can sell bunches at a time. Plus, as Tom G. says, you'll be reaching the people who want it most, face to face. Hobbyists will usually walk away with a few pieces more than they came for, and you might make some new friends who'll occasionally contact you later for more.

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

eBay is a hassle when it comes to fees. 

eBay is the place to sell items that you hope to sell at auction for the best prices.  I’ve seen way too many people who got way more than they hoped for, then complain about fees for the system that made it possible!  Human nature I guess!

On 2/5/2021 at 10:19 AM, randyc said:

So recently, I've been dealing with my hoarder mother and it's made me look at my own "hoard" - model cars.   I have 2 storage buiuldings with stuff in them that I'llprobably never finish or have time to start.  I think I want to get rid of a lot of that and pare down to a manageable mess.  

I've sold a LOT of stuff on ebay, but it's getting to be a real PITA.  I just got an offer on a hotwheels set for like half what I originally paid and it's a good set.  That almost makes me angry - I'd rather GIVE it to one of you guys.   I have some good stuff and some regular old stuff.  

So I'm thinking I'd like to clear it out but somehow make it a charitable thing.   Not even looking for a receipt, just would like to help others.   And this is parts and started kits and such.  Not just new kits.  

Any suggestions?  

And if I can't figure that out, I may just give it all away.  Don't get too excited - it's not that good a stash.  LOL.   Just need to get it under control.  

Check into models for heros

15 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

eBay is the place to sell items that you hope to sell at auction for the best prices.  I’ve seen way too many people who got way more than they hoped for, then complain about fees for the system that made it possible!  Human nature I guess!

I think we could agree that "fees are a hassle", and, unfortunately, like taxes and death, unavoidable.

Like Tom said, and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, eBay is the place.

Speaking of eBay, you would be surprised what people will pay for a big box full of random parts - I had a bunch of old parted out kits that I stuffed into one box, took one photo, weighed it, and sold it off on eBay. 

On 2/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, lordairgtar said:

I know our model club has a rummage sale day where we bring  in kits to sell. Also I understand the issue with the HotWheels cars. Now this makes me in no way an expert on values, but watching years of Antique Road Show programs, I do know that things drop in value. I don't know if this is the case with HotWheels. I do know that model car kits are kinda hot again just based on prices I see at auction sites online. With the exception of most NASCAR models, kits have held value and even increased. I have so much right now I would not even have an idea on what I would need although I am still looking for that Renwal Jordan and Ertl farm tractors to complete my collection. Built or unbuilt. I like your photo idea of boxed groups though.

What Ertl tractors?  We have  few from my father in law.   And I have a Franklin Mint thresher thing.  I think that's what it is.   It's got some broken parts, but modeling skills could probably fix it.   

GReat ideas from most everyone.   And I have tried to answer the PMs.  My stuff is not a very exciting stash.   I wish I had some of the kits you guys are asking for.  

I did talk to the lady we know that works at Children's center.  They will accept open kits, so I may try to do that.  And if I have anything to help you guys, I will do that as well.  

Thanks everyone for jumping in with recommendations, suggestions, and requests.  

I do love this community.

Randy- The SCMA has a show coming up in May, May 15th to be exact, in Simpsonville SC. It's about 90 minutes or so from the Charlotte airport near Greenville SC. Always a good show and I have sold kits there and done quite well. Might be something worth looking into if you have a bunch to sell. 

9 hours ago, randyc said:

What Ertl tractors?  We have  few from my father in law.   And I have a Franklin Mint thresher thing.  I think that's what it is.   It's got some broken parts, but modeling skills could probably fix it.   

I knew they had some John Deeres and some IHs. Not sure of the model numbers. They were plastic kits, not the die cast.

I like the option that was mentioned, perhaps by you, that you get big boxes, set up the boxes as lots, and then offer the ability for someone to pay the shipping, if you are not looking to sell them. It would almost be like a "grab bag", where you have no outlay for the shipping. Heck, even WalMart has large boxes for cheap, so you could probably include the cost of the box, and the shipping, $20/$25 per box for example. 

Then you are not really "selling" the models, you are simply passing on the cost of shipping/packing. Then whatever you have left over, if anything, could be donated. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

15 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I like the option that was mentioned, perhaps by you, that you get big boxes, set up the boxes as lots, and then offer the ability for someone to pay the shipping, if you are not looking to sell them. It would almost be like a "grab bag", where you have no outlay for the shipping. Heck, even WalMart has large boxes for cheap, so you could probably include the cost of the box, and the shipping, $20/$25 per box for example. 

Then you are not really "selling" the models, you are simply passing on the cost of shipping/packing. Then whatever you have left over, if anything, could be donated. 

Just a thought. 

Yep, good idea.  And I have a pretty good stash of shipping boxes as well.  I bought some and keep almost every box I can use for a reshipper, which is another part of the problem.  Unless I break them down.  Then hard to keep track of box sizes.   I will get through this!   LOL.   And reclaim my outbuilding for more useful purposes.