Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sam Barris '49 Merc Custom

Phildaupho

2v2a2ByagximYT.jpg2v2a2BdNGximYT.jpg2v2a2By1dximYT.jpg2v2a2BywgximYT.jpg2v2a2ByECximYT.jpg

BODY
- Revell ’49 Merc Custom
- Fender line extended into full fad away
- Hood reshaped and more distinctive peak added
- Custom grill and bumpers from AMT ’49 Merc
- Headlights from AMT ’49 Merc frenched into cut back fenders
- Custom made taillights
- Drip rails removed
- Upper and lower side trim added and Bare Metal Foiled
- Splitters added to windshield and back window
- Spotlights from AMT ’59 El Camino
- Scratch built fender skirts

PAINT
- ALCLAD Candy Emerald Green over ALCLAD silver base 

INTERIOR
- Revell ’49 Merc satin white with green trim
- Front seat split cut
- Door handles and armrests added to door panels
- Carpets and headliner dark green
- clutch pedal added

CHASSIS
- Revell ’49 Merc Custom
- Rear of frame C’d
- Removed mounts of dual exhaust and lakes pipes

DRIVETRAIN
- Stock AMT ’49 Merc engine

On the Workbench thread Sam Barris 1949 Mercury - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Edited by Phildaupho

6 hours ago, gseeds said:

Awesome looking build! Sam would have been proud!! 

Thanks Gary - I certainly gained a lot of respect for Sam building this model of his car

6 hours ago, SpeedShift said:

Very nice!

Thanks Jim

6 hours ago, larman said:

Excellent job! I have always considered the Sam Barris Mercury to be near perfection! You really captured it in scale!

I agree Larry. Sam's Merc was definitely the inspiration for many custom 49/50 Mercury's

5 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint finish. Great job on the body mods to replicate the original car. 

Thanks David. I have always been better at body mods than painting.

3 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Beautiful!! I love the color!

Thanks Craig. I bought the ALCLAD Emerald Green a number of years ago with Sam's Merc in mind

34 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Your paint is beyond flawless- your workmanship and research to achieve your results are exemplary. Can I shrink myself and go cruizing?

Thanks Paul. I have to confess that the paint job is far from flawless. I had never used any ALCLAD paint other than their chrome and their prismatic paints. The bottle says ALCLAD LACQUER but I did not notice that it was described as Candy Emerald Green Enamel until I had been treating it like lacquer. The paint is extremely transparent so you can hardy see it any build up. As a result I went in closer, turned the pressure up and applied thicker coats. That resulted in visible paint tracks. I then polished it out and added more coats. I dropped my airbrush with a full cup of paint and ended up using every last drop. I had decided not to clear coat it because Sam did not clear his car. But in retrospect I should have cleared it because the ALCLAD is extremely fragile and I probably should have let cure for longer. Handling it left finger prints and even sitting roof down on a paper towel for a few hours left marks; all of which had to be polished out. It also chipped easily. The paint job in regular light is very dark so I knew the only way to get the effects I wanted was to photograph it outside in bright sunlight which definitely flatters the paint job

12 minutes ago, m3fan said:

WOW Phil! 
love it, really like the way your paint turned out. Always love your attention to the subjects you build.

Russ

Thanks Russ - see my comments above about the paint. I am going to be using ALCLAD Candy Apple Red in the near future so I think I will be able to avoid the problems I had with the green.

That was on a magazine cover a few years ago.  Oh, maybe more than a few.  Way more.  December 1951 Motor Trend to be exact.  Here's a shot of the cover, courtesy of an ebay seller.  Beautiful car for sure.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.49.44 AM.png

2 hours ago, RomanII said:

That was on a magazine cover a few years ago.  Oh, maybe more than a few.  Way more.  December 1951 Motor Trend to be exact.  Here's a shot of the cover, courtesy of an ebay seller.  Beautiful car for sure.

Thanks David for the colour cover photo which was taken after Sam sold the Merc and it moved back east.

This is one of my favourite photos of the car with Sam just before he sold it after it having won Best Custom at the Oakland Roadster Show. This photo was colourized by custom car historian Rik Hoving who is also a great car modeller and has mastered a number of custom parts for Replicas and Miniatures.

2v2HjQir8ximYT.jpg

11 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Excellent replica of an iconic Kustom! Flawless body mods and a fantastic paint job! It's a beauty!

Thanks Oliver

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks Chris

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Beautiful work!

David G.

Thanks David

5 hours ago, alan barton said:

Sooooo, you're carving models out of green candy these days?   Niiiiiice!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan - I really got a kick out of your candy comment

5 hours ago, Beamerman said:

So amazing! Really a great job...

Thanks

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That is a beauty Phil! Love the color! This model demonstrates what capable hands can do with the Revell Mercury! Makes me want to build one. Nice work!

I really gained an appreciation of the Revell kit during this build. There is a lot to like about it especially the interior, chassis and engine compartment.

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Beautiful build. 👍👍👍

Thanks Steve

5 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Outstanding, I can smell the carnauba wax from here.

Thanks Glen

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice Merc!

Thanks Larry

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Excellent build.

Thanks Jim

I appreciate all yours comments.