Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember Saturday morning cartoons?

This probably isn't relatable to the younger generations. But, What cartoons did you grow up with?

I remember getting up early on Saturday Morning, clicking on the TV and spending the time building models and watching 'toons.

As I've always been into cars, my favorites tended to include vehicles in the story lines.

These are some of the forgotten few that I enjoyed. 

SB1.jpg.1e39ce988d447c68431202da104037bd.jpg

44cb3df1c8ccc4daceba29b4a2c0cf9f--cartoons.jpg.65073021661d6de8afbbc1260849e83e.jpg

speed-racer-137552.jpg.6b15aa923dc5533dda2d851b2fdcbd81.jpg

91u0g4DO87L._SX600_.jpg.e639855a7d013cde0df0d507358e6fa9.jpg

bug2.png.fa6f1037137bfc8ea6c2b41c003be3b2.png

ROaiPLTCa9I.sddefault.jpg.d7209c2a9d70bfbc28f3c4cde3a68861.jpg

20210505_194509.jpg.ef9fb248349e6bb1883e8a9e77dce9bc.jpg

20210505_194342.png.2db097786c90ab9c50fca7f70b62aac0.png

20210505_194409.png.086c813b65e5eb62074a9ddbe7c00738.png

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Rocky & Bullwinkle

Any and all Warner Brothers

Hot Wheels

The Beatles

Johnny Quest, but he wasn't Saturday morning, he was prime time at one point. 

Of course, Bugs Bunny. That's a given!

I don't remember a Hot Wheels cartoon. Sounds like it could've been good.

I remember cartoons with the Jackson 5

jacksonfive-3_4.jpg.2b124c21758b79323f77e4c586f44430.jpg

Three Stooges

20210505_202559.jpg.49098b4cca13598e28bbc68c992f142b.jpg

and the Brady Bunch (not in the same show, of course)

The_Brady_Kids_band.png.ac9364ce6eae3d2e9408b7f6e2afbda1.png

And there was a Gilligan Island cartoon. I remember it being fun.

bob-denver-new-adventures-of-gilligan.jpg.099b59b211cda1332063e0629067aeba.jpg

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I don't remember a Hot Wheels cartoon. Sounds like it could've been good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Wheels_(TV_series)

https://thenewswheel.com/cartoon-car-spotlight-the-1960s-hot-wheels-show-you-forgot-about/

Moving on: 

George of the Jungle. 

Underdog. 

Space Angel.

Edited by Snake45

9 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Grew up in the 80s so have fond memories of waking up early on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons.

Grew up watching

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Inspector Gadget

Thundercats

The Real Ghostbusters

this is the same list for me. i also watched the loonie toons cartoons, and pee wee's playhouse

In my youth I was only in the USA from 1968-69 while my father was stationed in Korea. 

During that year I would stay over at my grandparents Friday nights to see TV shows in color. That included waking up early on Saturday for the cartoon lineup. 

Back then Speed Racer was on weekday afternoons. I’d run all the way home from school to watch it.

Bugs Bunny, Road Runner Hour. With Wile-E-Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, Elmer Fudd, Pepe Le Pew. Daffy Duck, Porky pig, Taz, The Martian. ( I think these were all on the same show)?

Popeye

The Flintstones

Heckle and Jeckle.

Huckleberry Hound.

Magilla Gorilla

Yogi Bear

On good days when we could pick up Minot or Bismark ND. I would watch “The Banana Splits”. not really a cartoon but...

Edited by NOBLNG

Greg, you mentioned mostly everything I would have and I remember The Banana Splits. Even had a couple of 45's of their music. Jonny Quest was always one of my favorites and of course all the Warner Brothers cartoons. Foghorn Leghorn being my favorite there.

Never liked Popeye since it was the same story every time. Kind of like the Kung Foo show. Get picked on the whole show and then finally at the end you go off the deep end and let the bad guys have it.

I remember getting over my brother and turning on our tv and watching Bugs Bunny and Road Runner show. I remember speed buggy and ant and aardvark. Scooby Doo also came on. Thru the week I watched Speed Racer and then the three stooges, Woody Wood pecker and the Moonkies. Can’t forget the Little Rascals…

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wacky Races yet, especially with a couple of the kits having just been reissued.  I hope those do well, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Neither Hot Wheels nor Wacky Races was around long...no more than one season IIRC.  The powers that be decided HW was pretty much a half-hour commercial, and Wacky Races was repetitive and really couldn't go much longer than it did.  They did use some of the characters in another show, but I don't remember that one as I was getting away from cartoons around that time.

The classic Warner Brothers stuff is the best, though.  The later stuff (not just WB) started cheapening the animation, and it's just not the same.

Never heard of Tom Slick.  I don't remember Speed Racer either...not sure when those ran.  Maybe it didn't run in my area.

Not animated, but we did get Dark Shadows...for one day.  The local station had a big buildup for it, ran their first episode one weekday afternoon, and got so many calls complaining about it that the next day they went back to the previous programming.

How about Schoolhouse Rock and Superheros (in the Hall of Justice)?  Later on the Wonder-Twins joined them.

c88d906f5d8df901a1db89813ed7f375.jpg

Then there were silly older superheros cartoons with the Ropeman and Diaperman.  Then all those countless Warner Bros. cartoons like  Droopy, Foghorn Leghorn, Underdog, etc.  Or were those Hanna Barbera?

Anybody Remember Josie and the Pussycats?  Was that the one that has that sputtering/stuttering dune buggy?

Edited by peteski

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

How about Schoolhouse Rock and Superheros (in the Hall of Justice)?  Later on the Wonder-Twins joined them.

c88d906f5d8df901a1db89813ed7f375.jpg

Then there were silly older superheros cartoons with the Ropeman and Diaperman.  Then all those countless Warner Bros. cartoons like  Droopy, Foghorn Leghorn, etc.  Or were those Hanna Barbera?

I

Foghorn leghorn was with Bugs Bunny and Road Runner show.  Droopy was with Magellan Gorilla and Hillbilly bears.  The Hall of justice I remember I the 70’s. I do remember Tom Slick but not well..

5 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Tom Slick was one of three cartoons shown in a 30 minute cartoon show. Super Chicken was also one of them. I can't remember what the third one was.

These might have part of George of the Jungle. 

Anyone remember Clutch Cargo? Discovered him in the late '50s and fell in love with his airplane, which I found out many years later was a Bellanca Airbus/Aircruiser. A few years ago I bought the box DVD set and watched many of them again (they are REALLY stupid to an adult). In some episodes the Bellanca is replaced with a Noordudyn Norseman. There might have been a DH Beaver in there, too. 

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Banana Splits also came on in the late 60’s on Saturday morning. I never cared for them.. the remote was getting off the couch and changing channels yourself…

Oh, come on Carl. You mean that you didn't want your parents to buy a Banana Buggy? Those were the best part of the show.

4 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

And they never could actually catch and convict any of the members of the Hall of Doom.

It's kinda like the Man from UNCLE managed to get himself captured by Thrush EVERY WEEK! :lol: