Model Cars Magazine Forum

$45,000 model ship on eBay

Venom

• Venom changed the title to .......this post has been deleted.......

If you have something to discuss about some eBay listing, why not post a link to that, or even direct links to the pictures on eBay instead of downloading them to the post?  Links should be ok, and nobody will yell at you for posting a link to eBay (it is done here regularly).

10 hours ago, Venom said:

.... the eBay sellers description was a request not to download the pics without his permission.

The seller has an utterly unrealistic expectation on that. There are untold numbers of automatic aggregator websites that download and share photo on many varieties of items, and many of us download a photo or two from ebay listings to give readers a quick look at what the auctions are listing.

• Venom changed the title to $45,000 model ship on eBay
3 hours ago, peteski said:

If you have something to discuss about some eBay listing, why not post a link to that, or even direct links to the pictures on eBay instead of downloading them to the post?  Links should be ok, and nobody will yell at you for posting a link to eBay (it is done here regularly).

1 hour ago, Russell C said:

The seller has an utterly unrealistic expectation on that. There are untold numbers of automatic aggregator websites that download and share photo on many varieties of items, and many of us download a photo or two from ebay listings to give readers a quick look at what the auctions are listing.

Ok, thanks for some clarification guys.... I guess I just wanted to be respectful of his wishes, but I kinda thought a link should be fine and you guys validated that for me, so the link is now posted and I changed the topic’s title back to what I originally had it as.

Now we know what this is all about.  Wow!  That was a labor of love!

Also, the original *HUGE* eBay link has lots of tracking info.  It is easy to "clean up" the long link to strip all that extra tracking.  You remove everything starting with the first question mark.  Here is a cleaned up link https://www.ebay.com/itm/283994994332

Here is a linked (not copied) eBay photo:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by peteski
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm not into clicking onto something, finding out it's not of my interest, then having eBay push notifications every time I log onto eBay.  Could you take a screenshot of the listing?  Must be a spectacular sailing ship.

A pic has been added

6 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I gotta ask - With the size that it is, How much is shipping?

And where would you put it once you got it?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :)  Seriously, if you can afford a model for $45k (price of a nice car), the shipping will not seem all that expensive.  Then there is the sales tax on $45k! seller is not very familiar with eBay rules. They now collect sales tax for every state that has a state sales tax (not just CA).

20 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Isn't it amazing that so many comment about the image issues but almost nothing about the Herculean nine year build time or the incredible realism of the finished model. Masterful work.

I can appreciate the confusion here... The first couple posts appear to be complaintive, but they were actually just responses that were baffled at my own initial post, which simply stated that I had taken the pics down, and for about a day I had no link posted either... It was just a post with nothing to see or no way to find it ... then I finally posted a link.

.....It is a truely incredible build in every way!

Edited by Venom

Really nice, incredible detail, but that dude is drunk on that price. $5k, MAYBE, to someone that really wants it. He should just donate it to a museum, maybe the USS Arizona memorial in Hawaii.  I'll bet you can buy a radio controlled battleship almost as big for half the price and go sailing! 

3 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

Really nice, incredible detail, but that dude is drunk on that price. $5k, MAYBE, to someone that really wants it. He should just donate it to a museum, maybe the USS Arizona memorial in Hawaii.  I'll bet you can buy a radio controlled battleship almost as big for half the price and go sailing! 

...Or a Corvette and go racing😁...

It would certainly take someone with a very special passion and a lot of knowledge for that ship to be willing to pay that price... not to mention, they’d need to be rich too... oh, and have a place for it. That’s a pretty unlikely combination of factors to have met.

• Like 1