Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

56 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Would not have been my first choice but still super-happy to have a newly tooled kit from Round 2 with this 1/1 as its subject.  (Now should Round 2 at some point consider doing a next gen Mustang (he 1/1 is supposedly due out about a year from now), not having an engine would be a job-stopper for me personally.  But you guys already know how I feel about that subject, so no need to discuss it any further here.)  

TB

I think much like the cloning success of older kits, additional late model kits are going to be dependent on the sales of the Charger and this Bronco. Prove there's an actual market instead of old sales data and supposition. 

42 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Bummer. In the photo the hood looks like a separate piece, maybe they’re leaving the door open for a full detail kit in the future, which would be a smart move IMO. 

Putting engines in there would require tooling both N/A and Turbo parts and if they ever make a Raptor that's different Turbo parts as well. Easier to leave it out and some 3D guys can fill the market. Also it's an option on the higher trim level Broncos to add this "Retro Louver Hood Scoop" (Raptor for reference) to the truck.

cq5dam_web_1440_1440.jpeg.jpg.5dbaebb712f4c70ac27f5cb789edcfc2.jpg

Making the hood separate allows them to go back in and add the hood without necessitating an entire top half of the body tool if it were molded together 

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

My '82 didn't have the recess. I did scribe in a gas door. Something I've never understood on the MPC Chevy pickups and the GMC's is the notched cab corners. Not many fill those in either. 

If the '81 is like the '82, plan on doing some shimming under the back of the cab and bed. This is how mine looked mocked up out of the box.

20211220_103803-1.jpg.72a418a25b87cab62436ec3facf015d3.jpg

After shimming.

20211224_143312-1.jpg.fe41f5dc54237cfcb9bf0957c32a8f81.jpg

I'll have to check mine, I haven't really looked for this detail,  but you're most likely right, of course. 

Call me one of the chorus! The new Coronets will inspire me to fire up my debit card!!!

I don’t mind that the Coronet will be coming with a simplified chassis, if the body is of the same proportions as the original and ‘70 Super Bee, then it will be easy enough to throw the ‘68 Road Runner guts under it. 

In looking at the sample in the picture, it looks mostly like the original. It does look like they have made some subtle corrections though- for one, there is the gap between the top edge of the front fenders and the cowl panel- which none of the MPC Coronets ever had! Also, the grille looks perhaps a bit more accurate than the original to my eyes. I’m hoping that the bumpers and other things are somewhat “backwards compatible” to the originals, since it seems that the buildups that I used to come across were almost always incomplete. Maybe the new hood won’t have such severe cut lines for the custom version as the originals, so they won’t show up as ghosts under light paint. 

Now, I look toward modifying one of these to Super Bee configuration (I have a few extra ‘70 bodies that can give up roof sections) and perhaps building one as the Dick Landy drag car. I have been increasingly picky about my purchases lately, but I’m definitely gonna need several of these. 

4 hours ago, gasman said:

The bronco being a curbside is fine with me, the Charger can be full detail because most of it is hidden under an engine cover, this would be a nightmare for Round 2 to replicate in scale. 

B9B8856F-B7B4-46A5-80B3-707543C7F696.jpeg

It's not too bad, once you break it down in components.

Anyone have pics of the chassis?

9 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Thanks for the info.  Kinda surprised they're not using the '68 RR et al dirty bits.

Glad to see a wedge under the hood and not a Hemi.  Cue the complaining in 3,2,1...

Did the original MPC '68 have a wedge too?

Once heard that the '70 Coronet with the Plymouth chassis kit, production wise was one of the most costly to run.

So I assume Round-2 didn't wanted to take that same route, albeit they could've as well copied the Plymouth parts and put them all in a new cluster of tooling, but then there's budget and how to get the most bang out of it.

All and all not a deal breaker, cuz the Plymouth kits can be had on the secondary market on the cheap or just pull one from the stash.

I like what I see here, and do hope that they can continue in the same vain, although my wallet may disagree ;)

Cheers

Ps. do hope the Coronet and Chevy will have clear headlamp lenses, if not maybe an idea for a parts pack.

Edited by Luc Janssens

I've always said it and always will, "I'd rather have a curbside kit with an accurate body than a full detail kit with a butchered body." The Moebius '65 Nova immediately comes to mind. Besides, how many people display their models with the hood open outside of a model show? Or put them on their roof to show the chassis? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

think much like the cloning success of older kits, additional late model kits are going to be dependent on the sales of the Charger and this Bronco. Prove there's an actual market instead of old sales data and supposition. 

Totally agree.   TB 

As for cloning or redoing the old kits:

the '65 GTO never had a correct taillight panel; fix that and restore the original grille/headlight assembly

the '65 Dynamic 88 could be done over as needed and create a '66 88 as well, or make '65 and '66 Starfire models out of what's left

make '68 and '69 Cyclone GT and Cyclone Spoilers out of the Torino tooling   

make a '70 GTX or Road Runner in 1/25th scale using the updated '70 Super Bee chassis and engine 

restore the '70-'71 Cyclone GT tooling

Edited by Motor City

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I think much like the cloning success of older kits, additional late model kits are going to be dependent on the sales of the Charger and this Bronco. Prove there's an actual market instead of old sales data and supposition

Definitely time for all those that called for the cornet to vote with their walletsl.  Same goes for the bronco everyone wants new kits and here is one.

Also- I gotta say- the Charger and the Bronco are definitely steps in the right direction. Well detailed and executed kits of modern subjects. I know we can’t get them all anymore, but I’m sure there will be plenty of interest in these!!! 

Here’s a free product idea for Round 2: tool up a Hellcat/ Hellcrate engine & transmission. Also tool up a shipping crate for them, and some other MOPAR goodies (like maybe the Demon crate and parts, wheels & tires, etc.).  Offer two engines in a full size box with said goodies, as sort of a super-sized parts pack. I think a ton of builders would buy these to place those engines in other kits. 

I'm thinking/hoping/crossing fingers that at some point Round2 will bless us with a '68 Impala SS based on their '67. Especially since they did the four door. I would gladly send them mine to reverse engineer one.

442696908_2022-05-2212_45_09.jpg.ddb4b28c6f72ba949b6266c87ba1c4b3.jpg  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I'm thinking/hoping/crossing fingers that at some point Round2 will bless us with a '68 Impala SS based on their '67. Especially since they did the four door. I would gladly send them mine to reverse engineer one.

442696908_2022-05-2212_45_09.jpg.ddb4b28c6f72ba949b6266c87ba1c4b3.jpg  

WOW!

15 hours ago, gasman said:

The bronco being a curbside is fine with me, the Charger can be full detail because most of it is hidden under an engine cover, this would be a nightmare for Round 2 to replicate in scale. 

B9B8856F-B7B4-46A5-80B3-707543C7F696.jpeg

Terry is correct, considering the fact the design work for this kit was well underway long before the first 2021 Bronco's even hit the showroom.  While we are grateful for the generous support we got from Ford with all the 3D data they provided to our design team.  There were certain details that were off limits and could not be provided.  With no vehicles to photograph and or measure at the time to help fill in the missing data on our own, the choice was to delay the project or go curbside.   

The hood was made separate for several reasons including likely design changes for future versions and the possibility that the aftermarket might provide additional parts.  Time will tell what the future of the AMT Bronco kit will be but I can say there's lots of possibilities. 

-Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The 1971 Demon 340 certainly was announced some 10 years ago, available for ordering (I despise that "pre-order" term... one's either ordering something or they're not), then cancelled. The 1975 Dart Sport ('Rebel Rouser' livery) was slated to be a 'one-last-run-of-fun' release before being backdated to 1971 Demon. 

Who knows why it was cancelled.

The Sod Buster (i.e., a 'normal' stance K10) is great news! I hope that Round2 adds engraved emblems to the fenders, and will eventually offer the 2WD suspension (and some steelies/hubcaps wouldn't hurt, even for the Sod version).

The interior tub of the '68 Coronet looks different -- looks like an improvement, at least in the rear compartment. 
The big block/ Torqueflite --complete with 1965-1967 air cleaner assembly-- were, indeed, used exclusively in the Dodge promos/annuals. Not sure why the similar Plymouths got a big block/4-speed --sans hole-through-the-engine-- when the existing Dodge 'version' was available.

Huzzah! Fourth- quarter 2022/ first-quarter 2023 is shaping up quite nicely for everybody !

Thanks for listening to your custom base's desires and requests, Round2!

1 minute ago, 1972coronet said:

The big block/ Torqueflite --complete with 1965-1967 air cleaner assembly-- were, indeed, used exclusively in the Dodge promos/annuals. Not sure why the similar Plymouths got a big block/4-speed --sans hole-through-the-engine-- when the existing Dodge 'version' was available.

**AMENDMENT** 

IT would appear that the engine in the prototype Coronet certainly is cleaner than the original's (the aforementioned air cleaner isn't a dealbreaker to me). Heck, if it comes down to it, the engine from the 1971 Charger would likely serve as the perfect amphiviate (with some minor backdating -- rocker covers are different from 1970-1978 due to the then-new C.A.P. setup, for an example).
_______________________________ ___ ___ _____________________________ ___ ___ ______________________________ ___ ___ ___________________________________________________________________________

Fly poop from pepper here, but: up-top, s'il vous plait.

20 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The 1975 Dart Sport ('Rebel Rouser' livery) was slated to be a 'one-last-run-of-fun' release before being backdated to 1971 Demon. 

Who knows why it was cancelled.

The Dart Sport/Last Run of Fun/Demon backdating  was supposition on someone's part. 

The plan was actually a Demon based on the new-tool Duster. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The Sod Buster (i.e., a 'normal' stance K10) is great news! I hope that Round2 adds engraved emblems to the fenders, and will eventually offer the 2WD suspension (and some steelies/hubcaps wouldn't hurt, even for the Sod version).

I just hope if they do add emblems to the fenders, that they'll be the correct half ton emblems instead of the three quarter ton emblems. I would be happy if they just added them to the decal sheet. Best scenario IMO. Personally, I'd rather see the fleetside bed from the GMC with Chevy script on the decals for the tailgate. Sans the toolbox lines also.  

Anyone know if there was an '81 that had the grille with only two headlights? I was thinking the Sod Buster did. But, apparently not.

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, pack rat said:

The Dart Sport/Last Run of Fun/Demon backdating  was supposition on someone's part. 

The plan was actually a Demon based on the new-tool Duster. 

I stand corrected on the latter; didn't realise that the former was speculation. Thanks much for the clairification.

5 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I just hope if they do add emblems to the fenders, that they'll be the correct half ton emblems instead of the three quarter ton emblems. I would be happy if they just added them to the decal sheet. Best scenario IMO. Personally, I'd rather see the fleetside bed from the GMC with Chevy script on the decals for the tailgate. Sans the toolbox lines also.  

I'll take your word regarding the '20' (three-quarter-ton) emblems, as I've never owned a copy of that edition (I've had the original Fall Guy issue, and the 1978 two-wheeler annual and the first 4WD edition [Dirt Devil, with the misleading photo of a 2WD version, complete with steelies/hubcaps!] ).

Decals would be a nice and welcomed touch. I like to place decals over moulded-on scripts; however, decals when used not as decals (i.e., cut & glue, leaving the decals' backing paper attached) would be acceptable.

Fleetside [et alia] bed sans the toolbox lines would be even better... especially a long bed (short wheelbase version, too, anyone?).