Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2022 Cannonball Run Year of Birth Build Thread

disconovaman

Ok, so I'm in again for 2022. Unfortunately I did not finish my 2021 build yet....I've had a terrible chest infection for the past 8 weeks and have not felt like doing much of anything, but plan on finishing the Mustang none the less.

For 2022 I had originally planned on doing a '71 Plymouth GTX but I'm now changing that idea. Instead I'll be doing a 1971 AMX Javelin but will be using a 3D printed body of the Ring Bros Javelin ('72), since near as I can tell there is no difference. The body is 3D printed, I'll be 3D printing the wheels as well as other details and plan on either scratch building or 3D printing an interior tub. I'm thinking of scratch building a square tube chassis and using suspension from a modern race car, probably the Mustang GT4. I just bought the 3D file for the body and I have not printed it yet so once I do I can better figure out what I need for the chassis/suspension. For engine I'll either go with a Hellcat, like the Ring Bros used in their Javelin or I might go old school with the 440 six pack from the GTX. Currently I'm leaning towards the 440. 

Inspiration 

Prestone-1972-AMC-Javelin-Defiant-102.jpg.cc763403296a618403c81b4b79117121.jpg

3D print preview

ring3d1.jpg.96f21b0999f2820c8640178515558380.jpg

Not sure on colour options, but it wont be exactly the the Ring Bros car. I do like the wheels on the car but I also really like the Shelby Cobra Halibrands, so that might be an option, or maybe something else. 

HA15gold-polangle.jpeg.a9d13dc15ac4879b7cb1f99846c121e0.jpeg

or maybe

wheel1.jpg.4951f6f371c99b72e6837aa02bcc6174.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the builds begin in the New Year.

• Like 2

Couple of wild projects with the Buick and the AMX... those will be awesome to see come together! 

I have a parts box special Mustang... it's missing the grill and taillights also both bumpers are MIA. After seeing the Buick, maybe I should fab a grill to look similar and I could do something with the rear lights too... 🤔 

2022 Cannonball Roster

#1. Mattilacken - 1987 BMW 635CSi

#2. Pat Minarick -1966 Barracuda

#3. Fat Brian - 1981 Fox Body Mustang

#4.  4mula1fan - 1958 Chevrolet Impala 

#5.  MrObsessive - 1961 Pontiac Ventura STC

#6. Oldmopars  - 1970 Land Rover STC

#7. Bullybeef - 1970 Mercury Cyclone

#8. fivesuns -  1957 Ford Custom

#9.  Jantrix  - 1968 Buick Riviera

#10. Lunajammer  - 1961 Ford  Ranchero

#11. Beans - 1970 Camaro Z28

#12. camaro69  - 1977 Nova 

#13. stinkybritches  - 1966 427 Ford Fairlane 

#14. Spottedlaurel  -  1970 Challenger

#15.  avidinha - 1977 Ford E350 Centurion conversion van

#16. MeatMan - 1956 Club DeMer concept car

#17.  spencer1984  - 1978 Ferrari 308 GTB

#18. cheyenne93 - 1962 Pontiac Catalina

#19. landman - 1951 Studebaker

#20.  Koellefornia Kid  - 1978 Dodge Monaco 

#21. KWT - 1978 Chevrolet  Elcamino

#22. Iarman - 1969 Dodge Super Bee 

#23. tooltime-fan  - 1977 Lamborghini Urraco.

#24. Jhedir6 - 1971 AMX Javelin 

#25. LouO - 1968 Chevelle SS 396 

#26. Just Jim - 1969 Karmann Ghia

#27. matthijsgrit - 1976 Lamborghini 

#28. Alexis  - 1963 CJ-5

Just a reminder to post a photo of your pile-o-parts kit/box if you can. No Rush, We still have plenty of time before we get started. I have two kits in the mail that are potential candidates for my entry and they will have to be opened on Christmas day from my daughter... anyways

As we turn the page I'll continue to post and update the Roster as needed... the line-up is taking shape already.  

Edited by disconovaman
  • Like 1

I would like to throw my name in the hat with this 3D Printed Karmann Ghia I purchased a few months back. Per my Internet research this body either is or can at least pass for a 1969. If one of our more informed members says that’s not correct I will either gracefully bow out or find something else to build. 

Pic 1.jpg

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I would like to throw my name in the hat with this 3D Printed Karmann Ghia I purchased a few months back. Per my Internet research this body either is or can at least pass for a 1969. If one of our more informed members says that’s not correct I will either gracefully bow out or find something else to build. 

Pic 1.jpg

Your good no matter what year it is, last Ghia made was 1974, so even the newest meets the requirements. Besides, I totally love that as a P2P car. 

I might join in as well, not sure what 2022 will bring though... Haven't been building lately...

So, I'm hoping to finish this in the next 11 months or so (if my submission is allowed):

1/24 Lamborghini Jota SVR (1975) Plastic Model (plazajapan.com)

Miura%20SVR%20front_cover.jpg

My 'build year is 1976' (conceived in 1975 😜 ), the kit says 1975, but other sources state the car was built in 1974 and it took 18 months to transform it into what it is now, and that would be 1976. SO...... Is this OK?   Polo Storico Restored the Rarest Miura Ever (lamborghini.com) 

If it is, then it can be as far from stock as I'd like, as long as it looks street legal, etc? 

Like this one looks stock, but anyway...

Edited by matthijsgrit

6 hours ago, Just Jim said:

can at least pass for a 1969.

Yessir, I like the Karmann Ghia, great choice!

3 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

that would be 1976. SO...... Is this OK? 

Nice! I like the early research and your thought process.  This is a nice addition to the list. 

I wanna build something out of the ordinary... I'm still brainstorming some ideas... having a bit of writers block honestly, maybe I'm overthinking it? 🤔😏😄 

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Pic 1.jpg

I’m sorry, got my two build threads mixed up, but that is still good for a 69. 

So, I decided to do a bit of planning ahead, since I'm still feeling terrible and not motivated to actual do any modeling, and look at wheel choices.

wheelchoice1.png.b1f991efb528a79a4a7876a3f3cab26b.png

Option 1: Front wheel is an R1s. 3D printed with separate brake rotor/caliper and tire and center locking nut (not pictured)

Option 2: Rear wheel is a Ferrari style 5 star, again with separate brake/caliper and tire with center locking nut (not pictured)

Both are 3D files that I already purchased so they are readily at hand. 

(Ignore the red, that's just the area outside my printable field on my printer, but the software allows you to load in multiple files to see how things will line up as well as fill in a build plate, very handy.)

Thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Jhedir6
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Pic 1.jpg

Cool. I've got a different printed KG I planto use for the Peking to Paris buildoff if I can get a good print.

14 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Pic 1.jpg

That looks like a 60s model, in the 70s they got big squarish turn signals more on the outer corner of the fender and bigger taillights.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, MeatMan said:

Cool. I've got a different printed KG I plan to use for the Peking to Paris build off if I can get a good print.

Nice, I hope you find what you are looking for, I am anxious to see what you can do with it. I am an average modeler at best and working with this 3D print it going to be a huge challenge. However, I wanted to join in and did not figure the modeling world needed another Charger, Camaro, or Mustang. I too am thinking about joining the P2P with either a Pinto or an early 70’s Mustang (something I already have on hand). The two things holding me back are my concern that I may be making modeling promises I cannot keep time wise and the requirement to have those fancy P2P plates on the front and back of the car. I don’t have the ability to make them and I have no idea where I could buy one in 1/25 scale so, we will see.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

the requirement to have those fancy P2P plates on the front and back of the car. I don’t have the ability to make them and I have no idea where I could buy one in 1/25 scale

Contact Pete J . He will be making these agian and will be glad to help...

20 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Nice, I hope you find what you are looking for, I am anxious to see what you can do with it. I am an average modeler at best and working with this 3D print it going to be a huge challenge. However, I wanted to join in and did not figure the modeling world needed another Charger, Camaro, or Mustang. I too am thinking about joining the P2P with either a Pinto or an early 70’s Mustang (something I already have on hand). The two things holding me back are my concern that I may be making modeling promises I cannot keep time wise and the requirement to have those fancy P2P plates on the front and back of the car. I don’t have the ability to make them and I have no idea where I could buy one in 1/25 scale so, we will see.

I agree with wanting something different, that's why for the CBR I'm building the Club DeMer. I also have too many irons in the fire but having a year for both gives me hope. G'luck!

Well you can count me in with a Toyota hilux (the world’s most indestructible truck) my birth year is 2001 so it falls right in the middle of the 97-05 that this generation of hilux was manufactured. Unfortunately the kit doesn’t have an engine so it will require some cutting but I think the clearly scale LS with a procharger will hide under the hood nicely.

475E7580-3CA0-4C31-9888-EC05ADF04D5C.jpeg

AD6251C6-8986-464E-A069-14921E1ECAE8.jpeg

• Like 2