Model Cars Magazine Forum

Family heirloom "barn find" Lamborghini Miura

89AKurt

WIP: "Barn find" Italeri's Lamborghini Miura with link to article that was the inspiration.

What I do with kits that aren't accurate or detailed enough, is make derelicts.  If it wasn't mostly made of aluminum, would have added rust.  Since this car was kept in a garage, protected from weather and rodents, it was well preserved.  Built as Box Stock, the only modification was dropping the rear axel, and using another front badge. Last build for 2021!

IMG_3110.jpg.9e6e433738a1952083da618dcd11df90.jpg
IMG_3111.thumb.jpg.4980a340bf2303c9dccc36901d80d82f.jpg
IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.2247f28366dc6f30aad208d5efee7d0a.jpg
IMG_3113.thumb.jpg.59612a792765fc09df975b7d80982f45.jpg
IMG_3114.thumb.jpg.3547fad2d14ebb9b6463938b33531bb1.jpg
IMG_3115.thumb.jpg.e968c8b484ff1a275f0071e289e1491c.jpg
IMG_3116.thumb.jpg.88e04a4c3351e5c17b1d686d898a405f.jpg
IMG_3119.thumb.jpg.f51478edc2e7a7078a6fda0b8198a2b8.jpg

The real car's bonnet opens up this much, but the exhaust pipes lift the rear wheels off the ground. 😂
IMG_3117.thumb.jpg.e87e920bc032769c1df65ac4b08b549e.jpg

• Like 1

Good idea, Kurt, to turn this one into a dust-covered barn find - I sold mine off 20 years ago (I had the initial ESCi version which was reissued by Italeri) because of its inaccuracies. Would be great if Hasegawa would backdate its Miura SV to an earlier version (would need a narrower body, though)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 4:55 PM, bbowser said:

Very cool, reminds me of an episode of Chasing Classic Cars.

Someone on Fascistbook posted this video on my post, wish I watched before building it, see one incorrect thing I've done according to the lousy instructions.  I also noticed the license plate changed from this day to the studio photos.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mattilacken said:

Cool build! 

Thanks!

On 12/31/2021 at 11:36 PM, slusher said:

Looks great, weathered nicely..

Thank you.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:39 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice build!

Thank you too.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:47 AM, 1959scudetto said:

Good idea, Kurt, to turn this one into a dust-covered barn find - I sold mine off 20 years ago (I had the initial ESCi version which was reissued by Italeri) because of its inaccuracies. Would be great if Hasegawa would backdate its Miura SV to an earlier version (would need a narrower body, though)

That explains it, I built an Esci last century and swore to never touch another one.  Was ticked off when I first looked at this rebox.

4 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

LOVE it!!  Its not accurate, but it is a fun, easy kit to build!!....been thinking about doing another one myself. I have a new thing to do with kits like this, and Protars Ferrari 250 GTO...i build them as if they were kit cars.

Thanks for checking in.  We just can't throw them away.  I have the Protar GTO, it's the Monogram GTO that looks horrible based on the photo on the box!  The Miami Vice Daytona would be ideal for your idea. 😆

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Its a shame to see this happen to a really exotic classy car...but it happens. What a cool idea Kurt.  Well executed.   I have a friend who owns one of these. I assure you...he would never let this happen. 

Yes it is.  There are 3 Miuras, one is white that was in a body shop, and a metallic brown that an Iranian college girl had, then this one.  Back in the 60s old cars were considered used up, the disposable society mentality.  There was a Ferrari GTO that a high school shop teacher had, that his class wrenched on (if I recall, long time ago memory).  Then there is the Sultan of Brunei rotting collection.  I assume you have gone for at least one ride?

Someone on Fascistbook wondered why I didn't try to correct it, not worth the effort when Hasegawa has this kit.
IMG_3121.thumb.jpg.44e0ce1555e46a3c90bf500d0870f39f.jpg

2 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Someone on Fascistbook posted this video on my post, wish I watched before building it, see one incorrect thing I've done according to the lousy instructions.  I also noticed the license plate changed from this day to the studio photos.

Thanks!

Thank you.

Thank you too.

That explains it, I built an Esci last century and swore to never touch another one.  Was ticked off when I first looked at this rebox.

Thanks for checking in.  We just can't throw them away.  I have the Protar GTO, it's the Monogram GTO that looks horrible based on the photo on the box!  The Miami Vice Daytona would be ideal for your idea. 😆

Yes it is.  There are 3 Miuras, one is white that was in a body shop, and a metallic brown that an Iranian college girl had, then this one.  Back in the 60s old cars were considered used up, the disposable society mentality.  There was a Ferrari GTO that a high school shop teacher had, that his class wrenched on (if I recall, long time ago memory).  Then there is the Sultan of Brunei rotting collection.  I assume you have gone for at least one ride?

Someone on Fascistbook wondered why I didn't try to correct it, not worth the effort when Hasegawa has this kit.

Hmm.... in that first pic for the video it looks like some girl sat her bottom down on the trunk and rubbed the dust off

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thanks!

Thank you.

Thank you too.

Kurt...nah!...I ididn't get a ride in it. Its a trailer queen and he rarely drives it.  I did get to sit in it and start it up.  OMG what a sweet sounding V-12.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Kurt...nah!...I ididn't get a ride in it. Its a trailer queen and he rarely drives it.  I did get to sit in it and start it up.  OMG what a sweet sounding V-12.

Well, that's more experience than me.

12 hours ago, RAMBENNA said:

looks cool, nicely done

Thank you!

12 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice and realistic weathering!,everytime i see one of these kits built i think about the opening to the original Italian Job.

Thanks!  Might as well post it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

10 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Beautiful dusty effects. I did the hasegawa kit but not the italeri but it looks pretty  good to me.

Appreciate it.  The interior is really bad, the center gauge pod is the worst, then the arm size shifter shaft, then no footwell to speak of.  I should have made the driver window with a spot cleaned off to peer in.

Might as well post this video too.

Edited by 89AKurt

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Well, that's more experience than me.

Thank you!

Thanks!  Might as well post it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Appreciate it.  The interior is really bad, the center gauge pod is the worst, then the arm size shifter shaft, then no footwell to speak of.  I should have made the driver window with a spot cleaned off to peer in.

Might as well post this video too.

Very cool video Kurt. Thanks for posting it.  Soooooo...If this is the original car from the movie what did they destroy at the end of that scene. I have watched that movie several times now and have always winced  when it ran into the the front loader. 

10 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Very cool video Kurt. Thanks for posting it.  Soooooo...If this is the original car from the movie what did they destroy at the end of that scene. I have watched that movie several times now and have always winced  when it ran into the the front loader. 

Welcome.  Notice they don't show the actual crash?  Some time ago I heard/read that they built a replica, didn't need to have the interior or engine.

14 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Welcome.  Notice they don't show the actual crash?  Some time ago I heard/read that they built a replica, didn't need to have the interior or engine.

Kurt.. further research and I found out they used a second Miura that had already been wrecked and non repair able. The car came from Dubai. 

• Like 1