Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet another Revell Model A '30 Coupe??? Sure, why not? -update 2/23/22

Rocking Rodney Rat

I saw this very kool Model A Coupe at a show recently and I decided it would make a good take-off point for yet another Revell 1930 Model A Coupe build (this will be my fifth one).

iunnljn.thumb.jpg.5349635d5e635656c43b3bbf754b2410.jpgjjnkjnkjn.thumb.jpg.6580557feee53af6a1681182c02a7f6e.jpg

I really should taken a few more pix of the car but I didn't.

-----------

So, I started pulling some parts and mocked up what I think will be a good stance. I'm going with a '30 frame, channeled over the body, a nice rake and a bad attitude. The tires are from Modelhaus...

8247y8979827.thumb.jpg.d904f59a531b8ecde7ec7a7a53830e39.jpg

------

I found a Mustang floorpan in my stash of stuff, this will do nicely, I will slice it apart using the kit floopan as a pattern...

oijpipon.thumb.jpg.c1a5d0386db3b1d277492cffbd866e72.jpguhuyhouy.thumb.jpg.e07fce76613d278cefbe615a30ba06d0.jpg

-----

I wanted to fill the roof with a cloth top. I grabbed a Revell '32 sedan body that I had hacked apart for another build and will cut the roof up to fit....7898h97.thumb.jpg.15e1b17aa5908da8540c38948881d0b3.jpg

-----

I decided to cut the '30 roof opening to more of a stock configuration, cutting off the front part of the opening marked as below. The '32 roof has been cut away from the '32 body...8yhy98bhyuioh.thumb.jpg.ed8276888da245f937710ad5d7c249ae.jpg

----------

A bit of slicing, trimming and sanding gets the top to drop into the opening...ihbhbnohno.thumb.jpg.0080d378abb52920c6fa78f42728fd11.jpg

----

I trimmed the edges of top with pieces of Evergreen .040" half-round...1947221808_jjnjn.thumb.jpg.8371101bbccf3c507315cc06ff14889b.jpg

(sorry about the crappy pix, but you get the idea...)

KK sent me a W motor (just to use a different powerplant) and I will slice off the bellhousing and transmission (too wide to fit under the tunnel) and graft on the T5 transmission from the same Mustang kit I got the floorpan from....

More later.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 1

The stance looks just like the pictured car. I don't know just how close you're going to stay to the green car's features, but there are a few that standout to me. The firewall treatment is interesting and don't recall ever seeing one done in this way. The stacks on the carburetors are set differently as well. Usually, the opening would be facing toward the rear of the car or the front and these are facing the side. Using a Chevrolet W engine will make this different. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, espo said:

...The stacks on the carburetors are set differently as well. Usually, the opening would be facing toward the rear of the car or the front and these are facing the side...

Funny how folks in the 21st century seem to have forgotten which way bologna-cut stacks HAVE to face to work right.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, espo said:

The stance looks just like the pictured car. I don't know just how close you're going to stay to the green car's features, but there are a few that standout to me. The firewall treatment is interesting and don't recall ever seeing one done in this way. The stacks on the carburetors are set differently as well. Usually, the opening would be facing toward the rear of the car or the front and these are facing the side. Using a Chevrolet W engine will make this different. 

I'm not really planning to stay very true to the real car. I'm going to make a flat very slightly recessed firewall, intake stacks will be frog mouth scoops.... -RRR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I'm not really planning to stay very true to the real car. I'm going to make a flat very slightly recessed firewall, intake stacks will be frog mouth scoops.... -RRR

Yeah, that Swiss-cheesed firewall is just weird.

Beautiful workmanship! 

• Like 1

Very cool! I never get tired of seeing "another" 30, 32, 34 Ford, 57 Chevy, or any model car. I am constantly amazed at the variety of approaches to builds here, with regards to re-styling, finishing, concepts, and every other aspect of car modeling. Every builder cannot help but impart his/her own personality into a build. I would say that even a same kit, straight from the box build by a dozen different modelers would still show some measure of variety in execution. With that in mind, I look forward to your progress on this one, as I will the next one!

• Like 1

A little more work on the coupe. I started whittling away on the floor pan (from a Mustang kit). 

jh9uh0uh.thumb.jpg.d726c2f349f5451eb6ed5b22d2215f51.jpg

------

after looking at it more carefully, I came to the realization that the floor had too much whoop-dee-do in it. That wont work. I will cut off the tunnel and attach it to a flat sheet of styrene... 954651327_7h08hyh(3).thumb.jpg.1ad62438c8abec2da564cc5a9b0dad5a.jpg

-------

The W motor I'll be using has a bellhousing that's way too wide to fit into the trans tunnel. The solution is to separate the block and use the T5 from the same Mustang kit the trans tunnel is from. That will fit. I'm planning on adapting the two 3x2 log manifolds from the Nailhead in the Revell Model A kits...

uhybuyb.thumb.jpg.26cd88efcf4c1c7cb0e53f45b41a792e.jpg

------------

I glued it all together. Much better....   I tried my Molotow chrome pen on one of the valve covers. Looks pretty good...

ybuyuhbhb.thumb.jpg.785d9515f0ad241dc25c938eef18e31f.jpg

More later, thanks for following along... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 1

As we left off a few days ago, I decided that floor wouldn't work, so the tunnel was cut off, cleaned and attached to a sheet of Evergreen styrene...

njnjpj.thumb.jpg.d509afc86ce922c9387aaf834392a085.jpg

I traced around the original floorpan as it was shaped to fit the '30 body and then separated the two sides from the tunnel...

----------

67g97g7ygy7.thumb.jpg.e4bedefccfffb9adf810d5f0cd028c8b.jpgI cleaned up the cut sides of the tunnel and measured a few times to get it as close to centered as I could and glued it on.... 

---------

ygouu.thumb.jpg.058d41010d9d64f154a08cebcdd9104d.jpg

I cut the pan out of the sheet of styrene and cleaned up the edges. The next step is to grab the trusty Dremel and grind out the tunnel on the underside.

I have a plan for the interior, that's coming up next... -RRR

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:53 PM, bisc63 said:

Very cool! I never get tired of seeing "another" 30, 32, 34 Ford, 57 Chevy, or any model car. I am constantly amazed at the variety of approaches to builds here, with regards to re-styling, finishing, concepts, and every other aspect of car modeling. Every builder cannot help but impart his/her own personality into a build. I would say that even a same kit, straight from the box build by a dozen different modelers would still show some measure of variety in execution. With that in mind, I look forward to your progress on this one, as I will the next one!

Try this on... ACME is having a club build using the '30-'31 Coupe from Revell as a Common Kit Club Build for our Southern National NNL!  Stay tuned film at 11!! -KK

84431470_30-31CoupefromRevell.jpg.7821d721ce84ba80d27ce5aa98d88455.jpg

Cheap Ad Placement

Edited by Kit Karson
Text correction...

I don’t think you can ever have too many Model A Coupe hot rods. Love the way you reworked the roof insert into the stock shape and that now it has texture to it. Definitely a detail that will make this one stand out in a crowd. Too bad the Mustang floor pan didn’t work out but that’s still a great looking driveline tunnel to graft into a new floor. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Well, that's a little closer to home than GSL in SLC!!! -RRR

You know that you are an honorary member! -KK

btw I've sent models to a show with someone else, before!!!  The way things are going with the cancellation of the WC NNL... while going to the GSL is still on my bucket list, it's not a death wish ;-)> -KK

• Rocking Rodney Rat changed the title to Yet another Revell Model A '30 Coupe??? Sure, why not? -update 2/23/22