Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 / 67 Corvette Gullwing

Lobo2me

With so many fantastic production and famous race cars, the answer to the “what is my favorite Corvette” question is a tough one. Mine would have to have; the impractical but beautifully proportioned aft end of the ‘63 split-window Stingray, the hood bulge and side pipes of the ’67 427, a big V8 (6.2L in this case), and why not make the hood tilt-open and give it gullwing doors and halo headlights, just for fun. Keep the ’67 dash, add better seats, modern door panels, and update the center console. And it must ride on wide low-profile tires with giant disc brakes.

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What '63 coupe body did you start with, the AMT or the Revell snapper? 

The headlight placement is very interesting. They are still mostly hidden and you maintain the aerodynamics at night. Kinda wonder how restricted the air is to the engine compartment, however. Maybe a single headlamp system would allow more air flow, though it could have a negative affect on the aesthetics?🤔 Great build for sure!👍
Come to think about it, the lights are hidden in that spot pretty much anyway if they were stock.

sorry about the sloppy post. I didn’t mean to quote Snake and then 2 edits! 😵💫

Edited by #1 model citizen

18 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

The headlight placement is very interesting. They are still mostly hidden and you maintain the aerodynamics at night. Kinda wonder how restricted the air is to the engine compartment, however. Maybe a single headlamp system would allow more air flow, though it could have a negative affect on the aesthetics?🤔 Great build for sure!👍
Come to think about it, the lights are hidden in that spot pretty much anyway if they were stock.

sorry about the sloppy post. I didn’t mean to quote Snake and then 2 edits! 😵💫

Hello John;

Well...good points, although the halo headlight buckets are slightly smaller than the stock flip arrangement and would likely let in a little more air, plus the big thermostatically controled "sucker" fan on the frontside of the 6.2L radiator should do the trick, or maybe a chin spoiler would scoop up more...if needed. Wish I had this baby in 1:1 scale to find out! Thanks for the kind words!!!

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What '63 coupe body did you start with, the AMT or the Revell snapper? 

Hi Snake;

Donor Kits & Features

o   AMT 63 “split-window” Corvette Sting Ray Coupe (rear body & doors)

o   Monogram ’67 427 Corvette Convertible (chassis, front & rear suspensions, dash, front fenders/hood – tilt-up, side exhaust)

o   Revell 2015 Foose Corvette Stingray (engine, radiator, seats, console, steering wheel, side mirrors, wheels & tires)

I never realized how much the Sting Ray followed the Mercedes 300SL theme until you did the gull wing doors on this.

Now the ideas are exploding!

I'm seeing a mash up between the two for quite a conversation piece. 

Perhaps Mercedes fender brows and single round headlights integrated onto the Vette body? A higher step into the doors for clearance around a full caged chassis. And a hood/grille redo to blend Euro with American muscle. 

Still pure Corvette with Mercedes touches!

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I never realized how much the Sting Ray followed the Mercedes 300SL theme until you did the gull wing doors on this.

Now the ideas are exploding!

I'm seeing a mash up between the two for quite a conversation piece. 

Perhaps Mercedes fender brows and single round headlights integrated onto the Vette body? A higher step into the doors for clearance around a full caged chassis. And a hood/grille redo to blend Euro with American muscle. 

Still pure Corvette with Mercedes touches!

Interesting thought Patrick M., although, I don't care for sauerkraut on my hamburger. But I do like the idea of a mix up of a Mercedes 300SL and SLR McLaren...or maybe I should try a SLR Stirling Moss. Now you have me scheming. Thanks

3 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

Interesting thought Patrick M., although, I don't care for sauerkraut on my hamburger. But I do like the idea of a mix up of a Mercedes 300SL and SLR McLaren...or maybe I should try a SLR Stirling Moss. Now you have me scheming. Thanks

"Sauerkraut on my hamburger"

That's a funny analogy!