Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is Hasegawa's 1:24 Honda RA272E Formula 1 kit.  It represents the 1965 Mexico Grand Prix winner.  It is painted in Tamiya's LP-39 Racing White.  Nice little kit.  Not a ton of detail but what is there went together very well.  I photographed it on my normal black base and a gray base.  Let me know what you think.

20211212 201051

20220129 113827

20220129 113851

20220129 114255

20220129 114420

20220129 120845

20220129 121327

20220129 121955

20220129 121257

• Like 1

That is sweet! Hard to believe it’s 1/24, it looks as good as the best 1/20 Tamiya builds I’ve seen posted. I actually like the black gloss base photos the best, especially the first side profile shot - wow! Beautiful crisp clean flawless build.

I watched a hokey History Channel series recently on “cars that changed the world”. The Honda segment mentioned that they were having difficulties moving beyond motorcycles and obtaining a license to manufacture autos from the Japanese government in the 60’s. This first F1 win after several unsuccessful years finally brought them the recognition they needed to be considered a serious auto company by the Japanese gov’t and be allowed to manufacture and sell cars and ultimately becoming a global giant. Not just another race car….

23 hours ago, Silver Foxx said:

A really nice looking build , well done .

Hey, Bruce, thanks!

23 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

John...this is one really nice build. The photography is great too but I am leaning to the grey base. The reflection on the black base is a little distracting.  I got this car done in my case but I would replace it with yours in a heartbeat.

Thank you, Rich!  It was a fun little project.  I enjoy these Hasegawa kits, pretty simple but look good sitting on the shelf.

21 hours ago, afx said:

Very nice.  I have this kit in the stash, hope mine turns out as nice as yours when I decide to build it.

Thank, JC!  I have no doubt that your example will turn out better than mine!

20 hours ago, Dave B said:

Nice build and great photography John.

Dave B

I appreciate it, Dave.

So enjoyable to look at your nice models and photography skills. I think the black background is best but nothing wrong with the grey either.

I built this kit a long time ago and recall it being  trouble free. Hasegawa are usually very good kits.

This is a pleasure to look at. 
You wrote there is little detail in this kit.
To me it is not a disadvantage. You could focus to much on the details and start to make everything messy.
After all, the general look should be ok. Mission perfectly completed !

On 2/6/2022 at 9:58 PM, steveracer said:

Nice build. I like older F1 cars and this is fun to look at.  

gray base FTW. 

Thank you, Steve.  I have liked these cigar cars every since I was a boy. The Honda, Lotus, Eagle and others.  I have a 1:12 MFH Eagle that I am dying to build but yet scared to start it.  I can’t bear the thought of messing it up.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Beautifully built and photographed.

I too have this kit in the stash  - it looks to be well engineered and crisply molded. I'm always glad to see 1/24 scale F1 cars even though they're pretty tiny.

Thanks, Steve!  You are right about them being small.  I measured this one from nose to rear, not counting the exhaust pipes, and I believe it was around 5 1/2”.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:55 PM, papajohn97 said:

That is sweet! Hard to believe it’s 1/24, it looks as good as the best 1/20 Tamiya builds I’ve seen posted. I actually like the black gloss base photos the best, especially the first side profile shot - wow! Beautiful crisp clean flawless build.

I watched a hokey History Channel series recently on “cars that changed the world”. The Honda segment mentioned that they were having difficulties moving beyond motorcycles and obtaining a license to manufacture autos from the Japanese government in the 60’s. This first F1 win after several unsuccessful years finally brought them the recognition they needed to be considered a serious auto company by the Japanese gov’t and be allowed to manufacture and sell cars and ultimately becoming a global giant. Not just another race car….

Thank you, John!  It is fun learning about the models we build.  We may not have quite the rich histories to learn about as do our military modeler friends but still some  pretty cool stories to read about.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:08 AM, majel said:

Super clean build, great looking model.

Thank you, Jim!

On 2/7/2022 at 5:07 PM, drodg said:

Very nice build

Thanks, David!

On 2/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, bbowser said:

Great job on a neat little kit.  Did you paint the rising sun on the front or get the decal to snug down that well?

I appreciate it, Bruce!  That is the kit decal.  Now for full disclosure…lol.  There were too many compound curves for that poor little decal.  I used setting solutions, heat and patience.  In the end it tore a little bit and the very front edge is not perfectly smooth.  I used Tamiya Pure Red in their lacquer line.  It was just about a perfect match.  I should have represented the open scoop but thought to myself, leave well enough alone.