Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oil Crisis

GLMFAA1

On 3/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, Joe Handley said:

Never let a crisis, real or made up, go to waste, seems about normal for petroleum.

I don't blame big oil this time. 75% or the oil drilling is now done by small, mostly family owned companies that then sell it to refiners.  Big oil can't be bothered with this step any longer.

The issue is government. The Governor of Alaska was all over the news shows last weekend talking about how the Federal regulators will not allow current wells to produce at more than 25% capacity and have shut down all new drilling. He claims over night they could produce most of what we need if the Fed's allowed. So who is benefiting from this 'Crisis'??  At the same time the refiners are not being permitted to run at 100% capacity.   This was per two different state governors. You can look this stuff up. 

You are correct......Never let a crisis go to waste  is a way of life for some.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

NEWEST TREND: Drilling holes in gas tanks to steal the fuel.

The method of choice for chimps too inept to work a siphon hose, apparently.  No phone app, ya know?

Guess which state it started in...

Saw that on GMA this morning. They. get 5 gallons and let the rest run out on the ground…

Nothing new. When gas prices were high the last time I heard they were punching a whole in the gas tank with a  screw driver and catching the gas in a container. Takes less time than siphoning and is less obvious. 

In addition you have the insult of losing a tank of gas but also the cost to repair or replace the gas tank.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

Nobody around here seems to repair gas tanks or recore radiators anymore.  All of the shops that used to do that work now have huge signs: "we install new gas tanks and radiators".

A lot of modern gas tanks and radiators are plastic..probably easier/cheaper/faster to replace than attempt to fix.

One of my cars has both made of metal.  I had the gas tank out last year, scoped it, nice and clean inside.  I had the radiator and heater core redone years ago, both are still good.

I can now get a new gas tank (couldn't for a long time; there was ongoing litigation over it), can even get a stainless one.  I might do just that, if a vendor at Carlisle would actually bring some stock instead of just passing out catalogs...

Edited by Mark
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

A lot of modern gas tanks and radiators are plastic..probably easier/cheaper/faster to replace than attempt to fix.

Most of the plastic tanks can not be repaired anyway...at least using technology available to most shops...though there are cost-effective ways.

The tank almost always has to come out though, so it's simpler to replace and insulate your shop from lawsuits when the chimp does the repair wrong and babies get incinerated.

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

Nobody around here seems to repair gas tanks or recore radiators anymore.  All of the shops that used to do that work now have huge signs: "we install new gas tanks and radiators".

Yup. There are a very few shops here that can, and even one that can make up a gorgeous custom aluminum unit, but boy, are they rare.

In general "twow it away, mommy; it bwoken."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mark said:

R + R is the way now....remove and replace....not fix.  Back in the olden days of the 1970's there was a radiator shop in Charlotte that I took stuff to. It was outdoors so in the winter the vats would have steam boiling out.  The owner and sole employee was about 6' 8" and had a pointed beard. You can guess what a visit to his shop was like!!!! He did great work....the radiator he did for my 66 Mustang lasted until I put an aluminum unit in 2019!!! 

I was out and about today and noticed that the price of gas had dropped almost ten cents a gallon from last week. I filled up last week at Costco and they are usually ten to fifteen cents a gallon cheaper than the usual Oils Company stations. Today the Quicktrip, which is sort of the price leader in our area, is priced at what I paid at Costco last week. I hope this is a good sign of things to come.  

53 minutes ago, espo said:

I was out and about today and noticed that the price of gas had dropped almost ten cents a gallon from last week. I filled up last week at Costco and they are usually ten to fifteen cents a gallon cheaper than the usual Oils Company stations. Today the Quicktrip, which is sort of the price leader in our area, is priced at what I paid at Costco last week. I hope this is a good sign of things to come.  

Futures market is worried that the FEDS will open drilling and thus the market fell a little.  (read the story on why Alaska is only at 25% capacity today)  To go into details would drag politics into the stream here.....but I am sure most of us here can dig and find the info on the net. 

18 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Futures market is worried that the FEDS will open drilling and thus the market fell a little.  (read the story on why Alaska is only at 25% capacity today)  To go into details would drag politics into the stream here.....but I am sure most of us here can dig and find the info on the net. 

Thank you for the insight. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 10:42 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

NEWEST TREND: Drilling holes in gas tanks to steal the fuel.

The method of choice for chimps too inept to work a siphon hose, apparently.  No phone app, ya know?

Guess which state it started in...

I'm old enough to remember the gas lines back in the 70's when siphoning was the preferred method. Back then people (like me) bought locking gas caps and even though gas was a lot cheaper, you just couldn't get it. Long lines with odd/even days based on the last number of your license plate here in NYC. I guess that the high-tech puncture method hadn't yet become the standard for the brainless.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:22 AM, NYRich72 said:

Stan, Absolutely correct. Like other laws, they only work if they're enforced. I live in upper Manhattan and it's an all-night noise fest with loud "mufflers", motorcycles and fireworks year round. This isn't the place to be pointing fingers but I think that we New Yorker's know where the problem lies. 

We used to live on E 94th, and it was always pretty drama free there…but once you went north up to 112th to my favorite dive bar (in walking range anyway) it was always like a zoo with the ATVs racing and doing wheelies, and the Hondas with farty exhausts and the occasional crack of a gunshot and cops chasing people and general chaos 

I miss that part of town 😂

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

We used to live on E 94th, and it was always pretty drama free there…but once you went north up to 112th to my favorite dive bar (in walking range anyway) it was always like a zoo with the ATVs racing and doing wheelies, and the Hondas with farty exhausts and the occasional crack of a gunshot and cops chasing people and general chaos 

I miss that part of town 😂

Stan, I've lived somewhat north of that (Inwood) for the past 12+ years and, up until a few years ago, it was a relatively quiet area, at least by NYC standards. Now, all bets are off. If I had a nickel for every time I was awakened or simply annoyed by street noise I'd have a lot of nickels. Are there still nickel slots in Las Vegas?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NYRich72 said:

Stan, I've lived somewhat north of that (Inwood) for the past 12+ years and, up until a few years ago, it was a relatively quiet area, at least by NYC standards. Now, all bets are off. If I had a nickel for every time I was awakened or simply annoyed by street noise I'd have a lot of nickels. Are there still nickel slots in Las Vegas?

Should have addressed to CabDriver who obviously also knows this city all too well.

• Like 1

I have yet to see it go down in California.

However, the price increases are now a few pennies at a time rather than 15-20 cents per jump.

So, there is that, at least. The rate of increase has slowed...... PTL for small favors. 

:)

Edited by stavanzer