Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oil Crisis

GLMFAA1

4 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Will model prices go out of the range of the hobbyist?

greg

I suspect that most of us here have a lifetime supply of kits in our stashes already...although, of course, that's not NEARLY enough....:unsure::lol:

Edited by Snake45
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, slusher said:

We have to do our best with the situation.  The price will raise model prices.  Sure miss those 10 dolled models…

There might be a few of us who remember $1.39/49 kits and .10cent Testor's paints. My first car model was a AMT 1959 Mercury convertible. 

greg

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

I wonder how crossover SUVs will retain their popularity when gas hits ten bucks a gallon. Too bad that domestic sedans, coupes, and wagons all but faded from the marketplace not that long ago. 

Yup...and the reason I kept the Neon and PT cruiser after the prices bottomed out. They'll be looking pretty good in not too much longer.

Funny...last time gas prices peaked I had people offering me crazy money for my '93 Geo Metro convertible...which I've also kept.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
not enough "o"

2 hours ago, slusher said:

We have to do our best with the situation.  The price will raise model prices.  Sure miss those 10 dolled models…

$10!!! You must be a young whipper snapper!!!!  When the Monogram NASCAR kits first came out in 1983 retail was $5.00........I worked at a hobby shop and my cost was $3.33 each. 

I really miss $3.33 models!!!!!!  But think......1983 was not 100 years ago....yet models are almost TEN times the cost now. I know and the market shrink and all that....but many of the $1.49 we bought in 1965 are the same kits we buy today at $32...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I filled up yesterday for $3.99/gallon, up 20 cents per gallon since last week.  I get about 22-24mpg highway which is pretty good for a 5000lb SUV.   I work from home and have no commute, and mostly only drive on the weekends so I'm fine.

I remember when models were $5-8, when they were $12-15, when they were $20-25.  Inflation happens over time...nothing is static.  Everything is more expensive now than it was in 1982/1992/2002/2012...but salaries are higher also..

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I really miss $1.49 models, $0.69 parts packs...and gas for a quarter a gallon, sometimes as low as 15 cents.  :D

I'm with ya on that Bill!   I've seen it in color

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodent said:

I haven't left the house today, but the name brand stations were getting dangerously close to $6 for regular yesterday.

Yeah, I think CA has had the highest prices in the country...regular was $3.99 here in NE Ohio yesterday. I did notice diesel was $4.59 a gallon.

Edited by Rob Hall

36 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

IBTL....

Don't think we have hit the "political" threshold yet and I hope we don't.

I have been remotely working for almost two years now and I feel very lucky to have a job that pays the same as it did when I commuted 60 miles round trip.

My car gets pretty good mileage and I can afford $6 gas for the amount of driving I am currently doing. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather spend the money on something else (like kits).

I feel sorry for the Uber drivers, pizza delivery people, super-commuters, etc. that this gas situation is going to be very difficult on. What it will do to the price of kits, who knows? It is definitely more expensive now to put that shipping container from China on a truck in Long Beach or Oakland and deliver it to South Bend.

Highest price-per-gallon of gasoline I've seen around this region (southwest Riverside county) has been $6.50... at an ARCO station never-the-less! (garbage gas). 

Certainly, that's for "Premium" ( 91 octane -- other states have 93-94 octane ), as that'll all I'll run in my 2004 Crown Vic 'P71'. 

My 2019 Kia Soul gets 32-36 MPG (and I have heavy foot), so I can deal with the high gas prices, but buying heating oil will hurt.  The other problem is that sinice gasoline prices are tied to everything, we will see prices of everything head up.

But I will enjoy having to deal with fewer SUVs and leisure trucks on the roads (just like it happened during the last time gas prices were around $4/gal.)

30 minutes ago, Rodent said:

My car gets pretty good mileage and I can afford $6 gas for the amount of driving I am currently doing. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather spend the money on something else (like kits).

I feel sorry for the Uber drivers, pizza delivery people, super-commuters, etc. that this gas situation is going to be very difficult on. What it will do to the price of kits, who knows? It is definitely more expensive now to put that shipping container from China on a truck in Long Beach or Oakland and deliver it to South Bend.

Same here. The gas price isn't going to kill me but its effect on the price of EVERYTHING else is. :unsure:

Last time I filled up, a couple weeks ago, the price was $3.45/gallon. Sunday, when I went to get the paper, it was $4.09. Didn't top off and was almost immediately sorry. Yesterday (Tuesday) after I heard the latest news I went back and topped off and was surprised it was still $4.09. Today it was $4.19. The sad part is, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. :unsure:

35 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

It cost $172 CDN to fill my truck on Monday.

Currently at $1.66/L here. If my math is right, that's $4.89US/gal.

Between exchange rates and U.S. gallon vs. Imperial gallon that's too much math for me. In Ontario it's $1.84/L for regular and $2.12/L for 91 octane for my Challenger. At least there is gas to buy unlike the 70's.

Edited by imarriedawitch