Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

Thank you Steve for the insight and explanation, as a modeler one can hope there are similar projects in the works that prove to be mutually beneficial.

but the '60 was something I didn't even know I wanted. LOVE it when a manufacturer does that.

Chuck took the words out of my mouth with his above quote.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:10 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Interesting that this kit has the more modern style wheel design used by Moebius with the flanges that fit into the tires. Have other new tools from Round2 used this style?

image.png.e4cf5bd49327c4927fb2d0c0e245d024.png

I'm not a big fan of the Moebius/Promo style flanged wheels.

And, since Round2 went to the trouble to re-tool these wheels could we not have gotten Front Bearing Dust Caps, and a better, more realistic wheel? Nostalgia has it's place but the wheels in the early 1960's kit were just sad. Would have been nice to see better ones.

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I'm not a big fan of the Moebius/Promo style flanged wheels.

And, since Round2 went to the trouble to re-tool these wheels could we not have gotten Front Bearing Dust Caps, and a better, more realistic wheel? Nostalgia has it's place but the wheels in the early 1960's kit were just sad. Would have been nice to see better ones.

At the risk of my picking fly poop out of pepper - I agree regarding the subpar details of those rims... especially since Round2 went through the trouble to newly-tool them. Conversely : I'm sure that many will simply cover those centres with the included hubcaps, and barring that, will seek aftermarket / parts box replacements. 

Ne'er-the-less, a small 'issue' in the overall theme. Absolutely better than paying $1,000,000,000 for an original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Ne'er-the-less, a small 'issue' in the overall theme. Absolutely better than paying $1,000,000,000 for an original.

I agree with you. It was a small niggle.

I am grateful for the kit.

The wheels seem to have the same flat center bolt area as the originals, but better molded outer rims with vents. The originals without slots or hubcap bumps look almost exactly like the factory wheels found on the Continental Mk II, of all things. And usually at least one in each kit had a sink mark in the center.

Truck is completed, will share the complete story after it shows up in Finescale. At the moment, I am building the trailer. Please, no questions, can’t give details yet……

6A13DE8F-6083-490E-8A7E-1982D06A6BEC.jpeg

C12A7D6F-28C6-4832-8677-B738477CF283.jpeg

725D92DA-36E4-432B-9428-30B14F3949A9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, cruz said:

Truck is completed, will share the complete story after it shows up in Finescale. At the moment, I am building the trailer. Please, no questions, can’t give details yet……

6A13DE8F-6083-490E-8A7E-1982D06A6BEC.jpeg

C12A7D6F-28C6-4832-8677-B738477CF283.jpeg

725D92DA-36E4-432B-9428-30B14F3949A9.jpeg

Appreciate you sharing it with us over here!  Great looking build!  

On 1/4/2024 at 7:11 PM, mikemodeler said:

IIRC, Moebius decided to sell the plow set up separately after the plow kit had been out for awhile. I know some folks bought the pickup and plow kit for the chassis and not plow as I have done some trading with them. Additionally, the Revell GMC pickup and plow kit saw the same thing- some were after the truck, some were after the plow.

To your point, the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed has been slapped behind a few different cabs. Maybe if the Moebius wrecker does well Revell might either reissue the Midnite Cowboy kit or cobble up a kit using it and a different cab? As much as I would like to see Moebius sell the wrecker separately, I don't think that would happen.

Mike, where can I order a Moebius Snow Plow kit separate from the entire Ford F-250 4X4 kit? Thank you!

Re: HPI Guy's Video.

Steve G and Round2....

After watching the video, I am even more impressed with this kit! The engineering on the Hood, and Bed is especially clever. The Cab, Bed and Hood, are all crisp & sharp, with just the right mix of Modren Engineering Prowess in Tooling, and the Nostalgic Feel & Look of a 50 (almost 60) year old kit. The more I see of this kit, the better it looks. And it would appear that the companion '63 Kit is just as good, with a differing set of parts and options, executed in a similar style.

My Original intent was to combine the Camper & Trailer on one truck as a Salt Flat Racer Support Unit, given that there are so many extra parts in each kit. I can see now that I will need more than just one of each kit.

So far 2024 is the year of the Pick Up. The Dodge  Warlock 4x4, This Pair of Fords, the rumored 68-72 Chevys, the rumored Powell Pick up, and who knows what else. It looks to be a great year for the Pick Up builder. I cannot wait to see detailed builds of these Fords, and the Dodge.

Thank You, Round2. Your efforts are much appreciated, and I hope the sales of these kits exceed all expectations!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Steve G and Round2....

The Cab, Bed and Hood, are all crisp & sharp, with just the right mix of Modren Engineering Prowess in Tooling, and the Nostalgic Feel & Look of a 50 (almost 60) year old kit. 

Point of Order - 1960 was in fact 64 years ago now 🤣🙃

6 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Re: HPI Guy's Video.

Steve G and Round2....

After watching the video, I am even more impressed with this kit! The engineering on the Hood, and Bed is especially clever. The Cab, Bed and Hood, are all crisp & sharp, with just the right mix of Modren Engineering Prowess in Tooling, and the Nostalgic Feel & Look of a 50 (almost 60) year old kit. The more I see of this kit, the better it looks. And it would appear that the companion '63 Kit is just as good, with a differing set of parts and options, executed in a similar style.

My Original intent was to combine the Camper & Trailer on one truck as a Salt Flat Racer Support Unit, given that there are so many extra parts in each kit. I can see now that I will need more than just one of each kit.

So far 2024 is the year of the Pick Up. The Dodge  Warlock 4x4, This Pair of Fords, the rumored 68-72 Chevys, the rumored Powell Pick up, and who knows what else. It looks to be a great year for the Pick Up builder. I cannot wait to see detailed builds of these Fords, and the Dodge.

Thank You, Round2. Your efforts are much appreciated, and I hope the sales of these kits exceed all expectations!

Alan...having observed the 1963 kit up close, your comments apply equally so there.  The engineering of tabs and pins in the 1963 is really well done.  The interior and the pickup bed floor/front wall literally snap in place in the body, perfectly aligned.  No glue needed.  All the components that fit the body have alignment pins.  It's really a joy to assemble.  And a huge improvement over the original kit body, which was littered with sink marks and a pretty much non-usable upper bodyside molding engraving.  Even the camper top goes together in a breeze with the alignment tabs etc.  TB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Alan...having observed the 1963 kit up close, your comments apply equally so there.  The engineering of tabs and pins in the 1963 is really well done.  The interior and the pickup bed floor/front wall literally snap in place in the body, perfectly aligned.  No glue needed.  All the components that fit the body have alignment pins.  It's really a joy to assemble.  And a huge improvement over the original kit body, which was littered with sink marks and a pretty much non-usable upper bodyside molding engraving.  Even the camper top goes together in a breeze with the alignment tabs etc.  TB

Tim, will we get 'First Looks" of these kits on your Fotki Pages?

If any recent kits deserved, the Full Detail, Up Close Looks you provide, these kits are Number 1 on that list.

I hope to see them there someday.

Cheers, Alan

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:59 PM, TransAmMike said:

That truck never looked that great  from the factory...but it should have😂

To each is own, but I don't think the problem was with the factory.  One that has been taken care and preserved in its original state looks great from the factory, especially the base models with black wall tires and painted front ends. IMO, the '57-'60 Ford pickups had a super modern look, much more modern looking than any of the competition.

B706DBD8-0C10-43B1-82E8-DAD0D31EB7A3.jpeg

• Like 8

I have two of the original, one that I converted to a stepside, but I can't wait for these two trucks to come out! Plus, I really like AMTs trailers. I wish they'd do some mini-kits with the trailers from this truck and maybe the small utility trailer from the 1968 Dodge Coronet. Maybe they could also do one with the go-cart from the Chevy truck and the minibike from the Dodge truck, too!

F-1001960.jpg

Edited by oldcarfan
  • Like 1