Model Cars Magazine Forum

8 2022 completions

Peter Lombardo

19 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Peter!

Great productive year, bravo!

If I may: what is the material that your Atlantic vacuum buck is made of? The texture puzzles me... 

CT

Thanks, your builds for the year are exceptional, as usual.  The material is referred to as sign foam.  It is a dense foam that comes in large sheets.  My brother usually buys it in 2 inch high sheets and uses it to make 3D signage cut on his computer controlled routing table.  He saves the scrap for me and I take the bigger pieces.  I layout the design on the block with magic marker, grind away the basic shape with my Dremel and finish with various grades of sand paper.  It is easy to grind away, but impossible to "put back", so, needless to say, great care must be taken.  

2 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

Thanks, your builds for the year are exceptional, as usual.  The material is referred to as sign foam.  It is a dense foam that comes in large sheets.  My brother usually buys it in 2 inch high sheets and uses it to make 3D signage cut on his computer controlled routing table.  He saves the scrap for me and I take the bigger pieces.  I layout the design on the block with magic marker, grind away the basic shape with my Dremel and finish with various grades of sand paper.  It is easy to grind away, but impossible to "put back", so, needless to say, great care must be taken.  

Hi Peter!

Thank you. I know what you are talking about. I worked once a a signmaker, and we used some of it. It was "new" at the time.

In 2006, I sculpted an entire 1/1 street rod body for a customer (see pix below), out of HD40 insulation foam that the factory sliced in huge blocks from the 49 X49X97 raw castings. Lots a foam particles left over, but it was later coated with latex paint to create a barrier, and laminated over with fiberglass. Quicker to produce a one-off body like that than making molds. 

Happy new year to you, and many creations in 2023!

CT 

37 door sill 1.jpg

37 frt end.jpg

37 frt DS view 10-14.jpg