Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Class of 2022, finally.

espo

This year got a slight delay getting started with the creation of a model building area that delayed the start for a few months. Late in the year some issues that have been building having to do with my eyesight became very clear, as opposed to my actual eyesight. This was brought to my attention as you will see looking at the painted trim on my Lawman '64 Plymouth build. I was fortunate with a double Cataract Surgery and the reshaping of the lens for a Stigmatism I now have 20/20 vision only needing glasses for reading and the smallest detail work on my models. As you can see, I have a great deal to be thankful for in 2023.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                The '67 Chevelle 300 two door post is a resin body and uses the chassis and partial interior from the Revell '67 Chevelle SS396. Tried to make a nice street small block car.  

IMG_1743 (2).jpg

IMG_1745 (2).jpg

IMG_1747 (2).jpg

IMG_1748 (2).jpg

IMG_1755 (2).jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, espo said:

This year got a slight delay getting started with the creation of a model building area that delayed the start for a few months. Late in the year some issues that have been building having to do with my eyesight became very clear, as opposed to my actual eyesight. This was brought to my attention as you will see looking at the painted trim on my Lawman '64 Plymouth build. I was fortunate with a double Cataract Surgery and the reshaping of the lens for a Stigmatism I now have 20/20 vision only needing glasses for reading and the smallest detail work on my models. As you can see, I have a great deal to be thankful for in 2023.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                The '67 Chevelle 300 two door post is a resin body and uses the chassis and partial interior from the Revell '67 Chevelle SS396. Tried to make a nice street small block car.  

IMG_1743 (2).jpg

IMG_1745 (2).jpg

IMG_1747 (2).jpg

IMG_1748 (2).jpg

IMG_1755 (2).jpg

The '59 El Camino has engine wiring and hoses done. The suspension was lowered to get the stance. The tube grill was a kit part. The chrome trim is done with foil and the body lines were very vague and hard to follow.  

IMG_1719 (2).jpg

IMG_1720 (2).jpg

IMG_1722 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Having a hard time bringing the rest of my builds over, so here are the rest.                                                                                                                                                   This '64 Plymouth model of the Lawman race car was when I realized the sight was just to shoot for this. The Orange body paint just didn't line up after I was done, and it looked so good when I masked it. 

IMG_1777 (3).jpg

IMG_1778 (2).jpg

IMG_1779 (2).jpg

• Like 2

This is the Moebius '65 Plymouth Belvedere 1. Used Tamiya Black and Clear on the body. The interior is done in Tamiya Oxide Red Primer and Gloss Red to represent the vinyl portion of the seats and the dash. Ken's Fuzzy Fur for the carpet. Other than plug wires all else is as comes from the kit. I did flip the front spindles to try and get the nose down a little and the rear slicks just do fit in the back.  

IMG_1806J.jpg

IMG_1807J.jpg

IMG_1805J.jpg

IMG_1809J.jpg

IMG_1800J.jpg

• Like 3

This '68 Firebird is an old AMT kit with a couple of build options. Used the stock 400 engine with the chrome trim. The chassis is lowered in front and added traction bars to the back. Used the rear slicks with the optional wheels. The paint is Tamiya TS-21 Gold, and the interior is Tamiya AS-15 Tan (USAF).

IMG_1736 (2).jpg

IMG_1738 (2).jpg

IMG_1741 (2).jpg

IMG_1740 (2).jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice, well done!!

Thankyou Larry. 

21 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Excellent!

Thankyou Bill.

21 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Have a great 2023 model car building

Thankyou Phil.

20 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Glad to read that you have your eyesight back. You have some nice models here and perhaps can touch up the Lawman model to your liking now. 👍

Joe

Thank Joe. After the surgery I can't believe how much brighter everything is. The Lawman was decaled and cleared before I realized how bad the body painting was, and then I saw these pictures and almost didn't want to post them. I also used the last of my Hemi Orange Testers paint. No touch up here. 

20 hours ago, Keef said:

Love that Chevelle!! And the Belvedere looks great!

Thankyou Keith. They are sort of an idea if I was the one owning that car this is what I would have done with it.

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice class of 2022.

Thanks Bob, I enjoyed yours as well. 

19 hours ago, bbowser said:

The Firebird is my pick, they all look great!

I think I described it as being an AMT kit and it is actually the Revell kit, excellent kit with a lot of extras including a Blower set up. 

19 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Every time I’m about to post a comment I scroll down to find more of your builds. 😆  They are all very nice, my favs are the Chevelle and Belvedere. 👍

Sorry about that. I was trying to put information about each kit as I posted the pictures and just couldn't get back in to post each time. The Chevelle is one I have wanted to do for a long time until I found this resin body. The Belvedere is a really great kit as well and I sort of like the sleeper look. 

19 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Great looking builds David and all with very nicely detailed engine compartments. The two tone treatment on the Chevelle interior looks great. 

Glad to hear your vision was restored with a successful surgery. 

Thanks Tom. I use semi and flat colors on the interior as it tends to look a little more realistic, sort of like a vinyl and cloth combination. The eyesight thing is amazing, and I only have to wear glasses for close work or reading. 

18 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Nice builds! Great job! 

Thankyou Anton.  

18 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Beautiful work on all of them David, I really like the Belvedere.

Thanks Bill. The Belvedere build was stopped for about 60 days while I got my eyes fixed. I'm more of a GM builder, but these Plymouth kits are great looking when done, have a couple more planed for 2023.

15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I would say everyone's fear of losing eyesight is scary, glad your CS worked out.  Nice work too.

Thanks Kurt

18 hours ago, Slotto said:

You've had a great year. I'm glad your eye troubles are behind you

Thanks Steve.

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice models David! I really like that El Camino! Ever since I saw it the first time, I've been thinking about building one. Nice work!

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice models David! I really like that El Camino! Ever since I saw it the first time, I've been thinking about building one. Nice work!

As I mentioned to others, everything is just so much brighter, I just didn't realize how bad it was getting. The '59 El Camino has very light body chrome moldings in the casting. I would recommend getting the ones you want to use cut in with a #11 before even removing any flash as it will start to disappear with the first coat of primer. The kits lowest front suspension setting will bring the oil pan really close to the ground. 

5 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Nice builds!

Thanks Chris. 

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Some great builds this year , David!

Thankyou Carl. 

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good looking lot of builds this last year Dave!! I've gotta get me one of those Firebird kits as it's one of my all-time favorite cars.

Thankyou Joe, I'm glad you liked them. I said the Firebird was an AMT kit and it's actually the Revell kit and it has a couple of build options in the box. I opened the hood intakes and used thew kits Ram Air air cleaner set up. 

Great collection David , really like that 2Dr Chevelle !  Congrats on the successful surgery . . . mine has gotten worse for a couple years now and I can only imagine what it's like to suddenly be back to 20/20 , you had a very very good year !

• Like 1