Model Cars Magazine Forum

How big is your... stash?

Just got back 5 months ago. I have a mind-blowing 10 kits, 1 resin body and a small box of resin parts. When I gave everything away over 12 years ago or so, it was close to 500 kits.

Going slower this time, other financial priorities, everything is way more expensive and my wife insists that if I'm doing this again, I have to start finishing builds. I have 3 planned out and...

Charles 

Edited by Calb56
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:09 PM, Calb56 said:

Just got back 5 months ago. I have a mind-blowing 10 kits, 1 resin body and a small box of resin parts. When I gave everything away over 12 years ago or so, it was close to 500 kits.

Going slower this time, other financial priorities, everything is way more expensive and my wife insists that if I'm doing this again, I have to start finishing builds. I have 3 planned out and...

Charles 

Kits are more affordable 12 years ago.  Hobby Lobby 40% off week sure helps out"..

• Like 1

I counted all my kits in boxes a few months ago, I was somewhere around 500. That doesn’t include the ones that have two kits in a box, unboxed kits, big scale kits/motorcycles, or piles of parts to make full builds. Since then I think I’ve added another 150 kits….maybe close to 200. I stopped building for a while but now that I’m into it again I just keep buying kits I want to build since I can’t find anything I wanted 10 years ago at a reasonable price anymore. Kits that used to be on the shelf at Michaels/AC Moore and Hobby Lobby (like the Revell 32 sedan) seem impossible to find. And every time I sell one thing on eBay I buy six more lol. At least it keeps me busy and happy. And it gives me something to do when it’s too cold to work on motorcycles in the shed. 

I'm really in the minority, I have exactly zero in the stash.  I like to use my local hobby shop as my stash.  After I finish a build (I just finished my AMT millenium falcon cutaway), I like to go to my hobby shop and pick out my next project.  My hobby shop has a great selection, and between that and ebay, I have literally 1000s of models to choose from, so for me, why would I buy tons of models and just having them sit in a closet for years?  A big part of the fun for me is when I finish a project, I clean my hobby desk completely, and then head to the hobby shop.  Last weekend I did this, and picked up the revell streetburner 1970 Challenger T/A.  Then, I bring it home, open it up and study the parts and manual.  Then I choose the colour I want to paint it and make a list of paints that I may need for it.   Then, back to the hobby shop to grab the paints that I may need.

For me, I have no need for a stash.  I build only a couple of models per year (the millenium falcon took me almost 2 years to do).  I don't build in the summer.  

However, the Challenger may be a fairly quick build, only 78 parts.  

Anyway, this is how I like to build.  I'm in a small house as well, so storage space is an issue too.  

A few years ago I added a third tier to the shelf, and took the opportunity to organize the stash. I had reached maximum storage capacity, so decided to thin the stash to make room for new acquisitions, and to finance some high-end kits (MFH, etc) and some hobby gear, such as a lathe and a resistance soldering set-up. In my first run through the stash I pulled 130 out to sell (everything on the bottom shelf), 40 of which have sold. Among other things, they paid for my long coveted Harder & Steenbeck airbrush. I mainly sell at our local annual model show, but there hasn’t been one since covid, so haven’t moved any kits lately. 
703B82C7-FF5A-4C49-87E7-2904D1BE2033.thumb.jpeg.42d65c78a0b1603d5d93ba0e147f80fe.jpeg

8070C4F1-DC95-4C08-AE98-91E95E5C30FF.thumb.jpeg.057484f5b599d1a5f73dded5bf72e950.jpeg

1BD06151-D452-4143-9282-1F94EA41426B.thumb.jpeg.b5069871d483ce58917a79de611dd88f.jpeg

0916F47E-50F7-496C-BF2C-DC62F647B5A3.thumb.jpeg.ccc71205aa9acd839fc018ea2339ea50.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluenote said:

I'm really in the minority, I have exactly zero in the stash.  I like to use my local hobby shop as my stash.  After I finish a build (I just finished my AMT millenium falcon cutaway), I like to go to my hobby shop and pick out my next project.

No, No, No….that’s not how it’s done! There must be something wrong with you.🤪😉😉 What if the carpet monster eats a part…what if you don’t like something in the kit….you NEED spare parts….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

A few years ago I added a third tier to the shelf, and took the opportunity to organize the stash. I had reached maximum storage capacity, so decided to thin the stash to make room for new acquisitions, and to finance some high-end kits (MFH, etc) and some hobby gear, such as a lathe and a resistance soldering set-up. In my first run through the stash I pulled 130 out to sell (everything on the bottom shelf), 40 of which have sold. Among other things, they paid for my long coveted Harder & Steenbeck airbrush. I mainly sell at our local annual model show, but there hasn’t been one since covid, so haven’t moved any kits lately. 

Trevor, your stash looks like a jewelry store, loaded with gems.

A gentleman never tells….

That said, I carry myself with what the youngsters call “big stash energy.” My wife tells me it’s the biggest she’s ever seen, for what that’s worth

I plan to build every kit I have other than the small handful of “parts kits.”

• Haha 1

I haven't counted them, but I figure around 400 or so car/truck kits, 100 or so aircraft & 100 or so Space & missile related.  I need to cut back on buying & do more building, but I get as much enjoyment out of the hunt as I do the actual kit, a holdover from chasing 1:1 car parts for 40 years. 

24 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Looking at all these beautiful stashes makes me envious. So I might grow mine a bit but I have to make sure to buy stuff I really want to build some day.

Dreaming with discipline, is that possible?

No, it's not.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bainford said:

Nice looking stash, Keith. Looking at your built-ups, what colour/type is the paint on the mossy metallic green Challenger T/A? It's a great colour, and looks right at home on the Challenger.

It’s actually a factory Jeep color called Rescue Green. I had a spray can of it mixed up at my local auto body supply shop. Kinda pricey at $25 but it lasts for a while.

87495AF4-D477-4AE4-AD8C-E842B6360E61.jpeg

Edited by Keef

19 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I believe it is.

I keep myself on a pretty short leash these days, only buying things I really really want, usually when it's pretty obvious I'll most likely never find them again, and even then, only if they're at a "good" price, i.e. considerably under average.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

I probably have over 1000 kits, restorable old built ups and a load of parts kits.  Last time I bought anything was two kits at a show last September. I don’t have any restrictions on me, I just haven’t been feeling it!

At 64 I’m hoping not to be going anywhere anytime soon, but ya never know!  My wife has a few names and numbers of folks I believe would be fair.

On the other hand, the big money is my stamp collection. That will wind up with an auction company!

12 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Looking at all these beautiful stashes makes me envious. So I might grow mine a bit but I have to make sure to buy stuff I really want to build some day.

I believe you can. Remember too hang on to your kits they only get more expensive and you never know when they will make them again or the company goes bankrupt…

On 1/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Gramps46 said:

My inventory list says 396 kits in the stash.  All are 1/24 or 1/25 scale. Those in the little white boxes are resin bodies or transkits though.  Too many for an old man in his mid-70s.

20191111_093444.jpg.2786c98584dca66e700496980777ce88.jpg

I have many that are upper right.  Took this picture 2018 of my Ferrari stash, which has changed a little.  I have built 3!
IMG_7035_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2a054e7d4e595761924798cb3ecfa33f.jpg

2020 I got another shelf unit from Pier 1 that closed their store.  I recently rearranged my stash, should take new pictures.  If I live to be 300, might build most of them.  Crude list shows 157 kits, not including engine detail kits, wheel/tire sets, etc.  Have a cardboard box of kits going to the next swap meet/ model show, about a dozen not on the list, for each year that passes it will grow.  I see a few that were sold.  Cooper 🙀 is like 'what the ...'
IMG_0074.thumb.jpg.b912d25774b1bccc378576f82ce93a34.jpg

What Carl said above, I have a Fisher 1953 Alfa Romeo BAT 5, tragic that Paul's house went up in flames during the Paradise wildfire. 😢  If you want it, get it at that time!

Edited by 89AKurt

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I have many that are upper right.  Took this picture 2018 of my Ferrari stash, which has changed a little.  I have built 3!
IMG_7035_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2a054e7d4e595761924798cb3ecfa33f.jpg

Good looking collection, Kurt. That's a tasty stack of Ferraris. Good to see Cooper the guard cat is keeping an eye on things.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I believe you can. Remember too hang on to your kits they only get more expensive and you never know when they will make them again or the company goes bankrupt…

Who knows what will hold or gain value but in the end I do want to buy with intent to build. That being said all that stash eye candy has motivated me to make a little purchase.

Revell Bentley Blower.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Who knows what will hold or gain value but in the end I do want to buy with intent to build. That being said all that stash eye candy has motivated me to make a little purchase.

Revell Bentley Blower.jpeg

Nice! That one is high on my 'want list', too.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

random acquisitions just because they were 40% off.

Unfortunately, that is one of my problems, I am an impulse buyer.  If I am in Hobby Lobby and see their kits are% off I will try to find something on the shelf I do not have.  However, that being said, the last few times I have been able to walk out without buying anything. Yet, I do have a bid in on an on-line auction right now and have just won an AMT Ford kit, with the tall top coupe, with the winning bid, buyer's premium (paying the auction company), and shipping it is going to be a very expensive kit. I really need to sell off a bunch of my stuff.

Edited by TarheelRick