Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1/24 Model A Phaeton

Justin Porter

On 4/10/2024 at 5:37 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I am looking forward to the Model A kits, but hopefully we will get a few more body choices. A Victoria or an A-400 would be nice, along with a Fordor. Hopefully ICM will do more Fords, but I would like to see a model of the Ford Y and its variants (right up to a stock 93E Anglia/Popular). Plenty of body choices with that running gear!

They could do a Victoria, A-400, any of the Tudor & Fordor Sedans using the tooling they have now. Coupes, Roadster & Pickups used a different rear fender.

I would love to see a 1/24 or 1/25 Model Y kit. Somewhat of a novelty over here, but a club member had one about 20 years ago and would bring it out on tours. I thought it was the neatest thing.

ICM posted this on their Facebook page. I may pick up a set as it's a good excuse to try their paint. I've read decent reviews about it online so this is good as reason as any to give it a shot.

434465851_772677024966769_5744878126281844753_n.jpg

• Like 2

ICM posted these pics on their Facebook page yesterday. Posting here for those who haven't seen it. In my opinion, it sure looks like the way they did the sprues it'd be real easy to do different bodies fairly easily. Bring on the Victoria, A-400, Tudor & Fordor Sedans, Deluxe Phaeton. One could do these without having to create a new fender mold.

438086451_776202074614264_4973565596775967242_n.jpg

437589173_776204561280682_4135962435911981479_n.jpg

438099552_776182594616212_3454873555789809174_n.jpg

5 hours ago, RSchnell said:

ICM posted these pics on their Facebook page yesterday. Posting here for those who haven't seen it. In my opinion, it sure looks like the way they did the sprues it'd be real easy to do different bodies fairly easily. Bring on the Victoria, A-400, Tudor & Fordor Sedans, Deluxe Phaeton. One could do these without having to create a new fender mold.

438086451_776202074614264_4973565596775967242_n.jpg

437589173_776204561280682_4135962435911981479_n.jpg

438099552_776182594616212_3454873555789809174_n.jpg

That evidently is short a sprue or two, as I don't see an engine, frame, or suspension. Among other parts. Looks good though.

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

That evidently is short a sprue or two, as I don't see an engine, frame, or suspension. Among other parts. Looks good though.

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the frame rails and the engine parts are on this tree?

image.png.dda0c9104c41148540050d495109cea1.png

Interesting. The illustration gives 3 cars from 3 states, New York, Ohio and Michigan and yet if the running boards are GAZ specific then the car will be incorrect for any American version. Bit of an oops on their part for Lord knows there is plenty of reference material on the web to be able to create North American version of the Model A. On the other hand I still look forward to this kit and any others they decide to do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the frame rails and the engine parts are on this tree?

image.png.dda0c9104c41148540050d495109cea1.png

It would appear so. That would be a great way for somebody to finally do an accurate 32 Ford chassis in scale. Looking at the tree with the wheels, it appears to be 3 inners and 3 outers.

Edited by Dave Darby

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

It would appear so. That would be a great way for somebody to finally do an accurate 32 Ford chassis in scale. Looking at the tree with the wheels, it appears to be 3 inners and 3 outers.

There's a tiny "x2" under that sprue, meaning you'd get two of them....for...6 wheels total...😬

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peter31a said:

Interesting. The illustration gives 3 cars from 3 states, New York, Ohio and Michigan and yet if the running boards are GAZ specific then the car will be incorrect for any American version. Bit of an oops on their part for Lord knows there is plenty of reference material on the web to be able to create North American version of the Model A. On the other hand I still look forward to this kit and any others they decide to do.

I'm thinking of sanding the running boards flat, and using textured tape or vinyl to simulate the pyramid design of 30-31 running board rubber. 

As an aside, I like that they used a '31 Rad shell. It is a lot easier to backdate a '31 shell into a '30 then vice versa. Some styrene pieces and you could easily replicate the Gaz rand shell which is nothing more than an AA truck shell(and 4 row radiator as opposed to 3 row on passenger cars & light trucks on 1:1 stuff)

• Like 2

Looks like there will be no Chrome. Not  Deal Breaker for me, but could be an obstacle for some. I think that the folks who know about and purchase ICM kits will not be Fazed. They can do Chrome themselves, so it won't bother them.

• Like 1

Much like several other "open top" kits ICM has done there will be two releases of this at the same time. The one we've been discussing here appears to be the one that will actually include the "up top". Be sure you know which one you're purchasing if that option specifically matters to you, otherwise you're getting specifically a convertible. 

Here's a video ICM posted on Youtube showing a CAD type assembly process of the parts and some footage of the actual built kit. I like that they include the top irons and top saddles. You could easily make a top boot if you didn't want to wait for the top down version. 

I'm curious how the ICM chassis will match with the old Monogram 1/24 Coupe & Cabriolet. The ICM chassis & engine is light years ahead of the old Monogram one.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Looks like there will be no Chrome. Not  Deal Breaker for me, but could be an obstacle for some. I think that the folks who know about and purchase ICM kits will not be Fazed. They can do Chrome themselves, so it won't bother them.

The majority of the chrome on a Model A was nickel-plating. Kit chrome would be way too bright for most of us, but we are the builders who would know. 

4 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

The majority of the chrome on a Model A was nickel-plating. Kit chrome would be way too bright for most of us, but we are the builders who would know. 

Yes, nickel plating has a warmer (slightly orangish) tone than the "cold" chrome mirror-like shine.

4 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

On a 30-31 Model A the only nickel plating would be on interior hardware. The only chrome on the exterior were the bumper bars & cowl light arms. 1928-29's used a ton of nickel plating, radiator shells, headlight buckets & lens retainers, radiator & gas caps, some exterior door handles etc. 

Model A's originally used a brushed nickel finish on most interior components, so no need for anything fancy when painting these parts. It was rather dull in appearance. I've got some NOS Model A interior stuff in my parts building, next time I'm over there I'll grab some pics for reference.

9 hours ago, RSchnell said:

On a 30-31 Model A the only nickel plating would be on interior hardware. The only chrome on the exterior were the bumper bars & cowl light arms. 1928-29's used a ton of nickel plating, radiator shells, headlight buckets & lens retainers, radiator & gas caps, some exterior door handles etc. 

Model A's originally used a brushed nickel finish on most interior components, so no need for anything fancy when painting these parts. It was rather dull in appearance. I've got some NOS Model A interior stuff in my parts building, next time I'm over there I'll grab some pics for reference.

Correction noted, RSchnell. Thanks! 

17 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Here's a video ICM posted on Youtube showing a CAD type assembly process of the parts and some footage of the actual built kit. I like that they include the top irons and top saddles. You could easily make a top boot if you didn't want to wait for the top down version. 

I'm curious how the ICM chassis will match with the old Monogram 1/24 Coupe & Cabriolet. The ICM chassis & engine is light years ahead of the old Monogram one.

I'm pretty impressed with the detail on the chassis & engine. I just might get one.

• Thanks 1

I like the icm kits but they do have some very minor flaws. I'm currently working on the opel sedan and I've found some parts are too delicate. for example theres a piece of trim for the body that is near impossible to remove in one piece. it has a connection at each end thats bigger than the part along with an ejection blob in the centre. the part is a piece of body trim and even using a very fine tooth pe saw it just takes it to bite once and the part is destroyed. and the instructions are a bit hazy in places where they really need to be clearer (the cowl fit for example). None of its enough to put me off their kits though and with this being a model a the flaws of the opel shouldn't appear on this due to the way the body fits the fenders (note, most of my build problems have been due to me assembling the body too early). I think we might get a model aa from icm next in probably civilian and first responder versions as it would tie in with the model ts they did.

• Like 1