Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does your workbench look like this too often?

My build desk ranges from clean & orderly to absolute pandemonium. My build time is limited, so I maximize by having 2-3 projects going at the same time. I'm in the process of getting ready to move, so the stash & non essential building supplies/materials are packed up.

20220305_205424.jpg

20220928_162907.jpg

• Like 2

It seems everyone has lots of variety regarding supplies and layout.

My bench HAS to be cleared of parts after every session.

Otherwise my wife's cat will steal a part and play with it until she loses it under a random piece of furniture.

My display case holds the parts for my builds in progress. It is the only way to keep them safe.

I have 7 works in progress. 3 are long term but nearly finished, 4 are midway through.

Multiple builds has the advantage of letting paint cure to avoid fingerprints and dulling.

It also permits mixing and matching optional engine parts and wheels during the planning stages.

Work bench Feb 2023.JPG

Display case Feb 2023.JPG

• Like 4

On 2/15/2023 at 7:31 AM, Joe Nunes said:

So, I came downstairs to do some model work today and when I turned on my shop lights this scene greeted me…once again. Seven ongoing model projects on the tables; five you can readily see and two more being sneaky!  😳😄  Plus, I hadn’t cleaned and put the tools away from the last session.  Does it bother me?  Not in the least!  😁😉

This scenario seems to occur frequently at my house and I was wondering if it only happens here (🤣), or, perhaps, at other modeler’s homes too. Let’s see what greets you most of the time when you venture to your model building work area. 

Joe

A4C7EBD2-57EB-496A-906F-A0FCFAB1994B.jpeg

9A11E5AB-537C-4DCB-B5B9-3949B8434937.jpeg

69479C0C-D9E1-413C-9BB3-248434720773.jpeg

Oh yeah ! Looks familiar 

21 hours ago, RSchnell said:

My build desk ranges from clean & orderly to absolute pandemonium. My build time is limited, so I maximize by having 2-3 projects going at the same time. I'm in the process of getting ready to move, so the stash & non essential building supplies/materials are packed up.

20220305_205424.jpg

20220928_162907.jpg

I agree, same here

• Like 1

It is so interesting to see all of these model building work space scenarios, and what seems to be a common factor . . . regardless of how much bench space we have, or what size room we are talking about . . . there is only around one foot square of actual empty space in which to work, and sometimes less.

I have so much ' stuff ' piled up on what should be the workbench that I have to build models on my 3D printer table, which is quite a small table.

A friend of mine who lives across the road is a professional model builder, and when I visit him for advice every so often I see that his well equipped workshop is completely overwhelmed with boxes, partly built projects, tools and materials, scribbled notes and drawings on bits of paper, and all manner of clutter . . . leaving him with only about a square foot of real space in which to work. It is so funny how we men of a certain age, say between 50 and 70 years of age, are able to turn out scale models that are assembled and painted to a high standard, and all within such a tiny space on the ' bench '

David

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

It is so interesting to see all of these model building work space scenarios, and what seems to be a common factor . . . regardless of how much bench space we have, or what size room we are talking about . . . there is only around one foot square of actual empty space in which to work, and sometimes less.

I have so much ' stuff ' piled up on what should be the workbench that I have to build models on my 3D printer table, which is quite a small table.

A friend of mine who lives across the road is a professional model builder, and when I visit him for advice every so often I see that his well equipped workshop is completely overwhelmed with boxes, partly built projects, tools and materials, scribbled notes and drawings on bits of paper, and all manner of clutter . . . leaving him with only about a square foot of real space in which to work. It is so funny how we men of a certain age, say between 50 and 70 years of age, are able to turn out scale models that are assembled and painted to a high standard, and all within such a tiny space on the ' bench '

David

Gets even worse when there are two of you in that space!

moe.jpg.5501c100aeb5a207d96e196128d926c6.jpg