Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the ONE model kit that you would consider the “holy grail” for yourself?

51 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

There's a Japanese version (name escapes me even though I have it) seems a little better in some proportions but is off in the motor and cockpit offset.

I think this car would be a great candidate for some of our talented 3d guys to tackle. 

The Nichimo version was the better choice.

Nichimo MantaRay Slot car (2).jpg

nichimo Manta ray.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

As I recall, the excellent Dean Jeffries book has parts of the scale drawings of the Manta Ray (that Jeffries submitted to MPC) printed on the inside cover. 

I've got to admit that, as a kid back then, I didn't get what Jeffries was trying to do with that car.  I have grown to appreciate it in recent years however.

• Like 1

Yup, that's the one, unfortunately mine is very incomplete and the body while restorable is rough as well. My MPC version while not perfect is nice enough that I wouldn't consider sacrificing it to making a mold as much as I'd like to do a static version. 

I’ve purchased most of the “holy grail “ kits I built as a kid. The one that keeps escaping me is the Monogram 70 Malibu Street Machine. I either find it priced higher than I’m willing to pay or built and missing the important parts (grille, hood with scoop, front airdam and rear spoiler and the wheels). Maybe I’ll find it someday.

IMG_7561.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keef said:

I’ve purchased most of the “holy grail “ kits I built as a kid. The one that keeps escaping me is the Monogram 70 Malibu Street Machine. I either find it priced higher than I’m willing to pay or built and missing the important parts (grille, hood with scoop, front airdam and rear spoiler and the wheels). Maybe I’ll find it someday.

IMG_7561.jpeg

That is a neat kit.  Built it as a kid, didn't paint it, put all the decals on it..held up well for 40+ years..

I seem to have been lucky  and have found a few of the seemingly unaobtainable kits on my list, at reasonable prices.

I think currently though, the Revell Mercedes 230TE has got to be the grail kit, the most elusive kit I've been looking for.

i-img1200x600-1559462292qukjf8415761.jpg

On the rare occasion they come up for sale, they're usually far more than I would spend on a single kit.

Ahh well, I'm fairly patient, so one should eventually come along.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I seem to have been lucky  and have found a few of the seemingly unaobtainable kits on my list, at reasonable prices.

I think currently though, the Revell Mercedes 230TE has got to be the grail kit, the most elusive kit I've been looking for.

On the rare occasion they come up for sale, they're usually far more than I would spend on a single kit.

That is definitely one I'd love to have.    Same with the Revell Mercedes 230 E Lorinser sedan and Mercedes 300E AMG sedan kits.   I love the W124 M-Bs.

One of my grail kits for years was the Revell BMW 8 series coupe.  I ended up buying on eBay the Tamiya boxing of it a few years ago from Japan, found it for a good price considerably less than the usual going rate on eBay. 

• Like 1

I have to admit, my timing over the years has been pretty good and I have been able to find pretty much anything I have wanted.  The early days of eBay were pretty predictable: one of a particular kit would turn up, bidding would go stupid crazy, then other people who found they had the same kit would flood the market after seeing the first one sell so high.  With the stupid crazy bidder now having one, he's now out of the game, leaving the follow-up auctions going for a lot less.  A lot of closets and attics got cleaned out in those days, and a lot of stuff resurfaced as a result...

• Like 2

I got one of my "holy grails" today as these cars are among my favourites.
Not really a model kit but assembly is required, this body kit is meant for slot car racing but I'm not doing that, it's going to be a static display shelf model when I come around to it.
It's a nice limited edition resin kit by Fein-Design-Modell from Germany, but as it's for slot car racing it needs a chassis and some other stuff but it will look nice when it's done.

Lola T70 Mk. III B, Chassis SL76/141.
Driven at the 12 hours of Sebring 1969 by Ulf Norinder and Joakim "Jo" Bonnier, it's fun because on most websites it says the drivers were from Switzerland...totally wrong...both of them were Swedish but unfortunately none of them are with us today, the car is still around tho' and are raced at nostalgia events.

20230721_071159.thumb.jpg.368c3ef66bf17dee3dd0de466a856883.jpg

20230721_071227.thumb.jpg.ad5a14029679b5f333e833e05ac0ebde.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/15/2023 at 3:50 PM, Keef said:

IMG_7561.jpeg

I’m in the same boat, would love to get this kit again.

Haven't seen one of these since the original issue.  I have some of the parts, but would really like to have an original or repop of one of them.  For some reason I am hooked on AMT's version of the Willys coupe, but really looking for that custom sedan.

004-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Anything by Fisher Model & Pattern!  Unfortunately Paul lost everything in the devastating fires that raged through California a couple of years ago.  I never got around to buying one of his kits and and greatly regret my inaction.  I would suggest that if anyone has an unbuilt kit that they contact Paul at Fisher website and offer the loan their kit as tooling to replace his lost molds.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:54 AM, Justin Porter said:

I've been lucky enough to have been working my way through purchasing and building some of my grails lately. Right now, the kit that's eternally out of reach but most desired that immediately comes to mind is a Fisher Model & Pattern 1/24 Ferrari 512M. Sunoco Ferrari 512M in 1/24 | Fisher Model & Pattern

Justin - this is the kit - another one is on ebay currently for waytoomuch$$. 
Keep looking - you mite get lucky - i got lucky last yr - but not on ebay …

018278B3-AE89-4F1D-B1B1-6BB2FE843E0D.jpeg

On 7/19/2023 at 7:54 AM, Justin Porter said:

I've been lucky enough to have been working my way through purchasing and building some of my grails lately. Right now, the kit that's eternally out of reach but most desired that immediately comes to mind is a Fisher Model & Pattern 1/24 Ferrari 512M. Sunoco Ferrari 512M in 1/24 | Fisher Model & Pattern

I found one of those on consignment in a hobby shop in Salt Lake City several years ago.  Price was probably ridiculously low compared to what they go for on ebay these days.

• 5 months later...

Mine would be the Dick Harrell funny car, can't even find one to pay a ridiculous price for, but still hoping my permanent Ebay search comes through, someday. A Barry Setzer F/C would be a good runner-up.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I've been looking for one of these a long time. I love Euro wagons. Here's hoping they'll rerelease it someday.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, Camaro lover said:

I’d like to find one of these

1D447174-732E-4D0B-9956-64E1B9CB0C1D.jpeg.66e1f582fbf895480fe077dbda27bfcb.jpeg

Maybe since the 1:1 car has now been found and is going to be restored, someone will be inspired to find the original kit tooling, or maybe to clone it?