Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATE! 2023 GSL entries with builders identified along with any awards for each model...

tim boyd

I am posting this link to an album with almost 600 pictures of entries from the last and largest ever GSL International Modal Car Championship which concluded yesterday.

Where possible I have included a picture of the builder's name immediately after the first image of each model car or truck.  l 

I will be doing more editing and also adding info on which models here placed in the various classes and "master awards" so check back again later in the week....here's the link and thanks for looking.  TIM 

UPDATE 5-20-23- I have now added the prizes awarded (at least the ones I was able to write down during the awards ceremony on Sunday).  The awards are shown on the first picture of each model...(remember that the second picture of each model is the builder's name).  TB

DSC 0806

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Great to see a large number of projects that have been on this forum being displayed

The quality and quantity of the models seen via this link is awesome. Thanks Tim

Congrats to all involved and it is very sad to see an institution of our hobby coming to an end.

• Like 1

Hurrah for digital photography. When GSL started it would have taken 17 roll of 36 exposure probably black and white film to do what you have photographed at the meet. Unknown how long it would have taken to develop the pictures and no way of mass distributing them to the public except print media. Once again thank you for taking the time and effort.

1483934796_kodakfilm.jpg.fe6d7f3b7194c6ff7da441f72bdad013.jpg

greg

• Like 3

Thanks all for the comments and expressions of appreciation.  My goal at this show was to primarily spend time talking to all you participants, but in between times there was still time for some photography, so I took the opportunity to do so.    

My acknowledgement, though, that it is the modelers and their model building talents that make this thread worthwhile.  My effort to document it pales by comparison! 

Still plan to go back and update with info on the class and master award winners when I get a chance. Will post an update to the thread headline when I get that done.

Best to you all....TIM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim, It sure was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you. I'v been in this hobby for over 55 years now and you have been greatly inspirational. When @Kit Karsonasked me for some help doing a repaint on his '29 tribute build, I never thought it would lead up to debuting the truck and meeting you to do so at the last gsl. A pinnacle momment in my hobby say the least. To see the photo of the truck when i opened your post was also exciting as you got to post the first picture of the truck finished on the forum. I'm so glad you got to do that. Again, Thanks for everything you have done for the hobby and it was great to meet you.

Speedpro

Paul Tolonen

Edited by Speedpro
Remove pictures
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:06 PM, tim boyd said:

I am posting this link to an album with almost 600 pictures of entries from the last and largest ever GSL International Modal Car Championship which concluded yesterday.

Where possible I have included a picture of the builder's name immediately after the first image of each model car or truck.  l 

I will be doing more editing and also adding info on which models here placed in the various classes and "master awards" so check back again later in the week....here's the link and thanks for looking.  TIM 

DSC 0806

On 5/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, tim boyd said:

Thanks all for the comments and expressions of appreciation.  My goal at this show was to primarily spend time talking to all you participants, but in between times there was still time for some photography, so I took the opportunity to do so.    

My acknowledgement, though, that it is the modelers and their model building talents that make this thread worthwhile.  My effort to document it pales by comparison! 

Still plan to go back and update with info on the class and master award winners when I get a chance. Will post an update to the thread headline when I get that done.

Best to you all....TIM 

Tim & Paul,

Never ever would I ever believed, that within in my lifetime I would ever be seen in the same room with either of you let alone both of you at the same time was amazing and pretty much emptied my bucket list!  Had @Dennis Lacynot created the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! - WIP: Model Trucks: Pickups, Vans, SUVs, Light Commercial - Model Cars Magazine Forum and @SpeedproWaldo and I had not reunited, this moment would have never occurred!  Now we can post the final pics Under Glass!! -KK

703958569_20230505_133440(2).jpg.7e22cb8a895273f0305fb7213f872b26.jpg

• Like 2

Paul and Wes....I had many special moments at the GSL this year but this one was just about the best!  I just wish my wife Lia had been there to see it.  This story is very special to me and I will long remember it and the model project that went with it!  Thanks for posting your comments here, too!   Very, very best to you both.  TIM

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Speedpro said:

Tim, It sure was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you. I'v been in this hobby for over 55 years now and you have been greatly inspirational. When @Kit Karsonasked me for some help doing a repaint on his '29 tribute build, I never thought it would lead up to debuting the truck and meeting you to do so at the last gsl. A pinnacle momment in my hobby say the least. To see the photo of the truck when i opened your post was also exciting as you got to post the first picture of the truck finished on the forum. I'm so glad you got to do that. Again, Thanks for everything you have done for the hobby and it was great to meet you.

I'd would like to share the first and the last photo's that i took building the truck. I have yet to take any finished pictures except at gsl.

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.5d4bdb09bb64de7fc935d03d16da321d.JPG

IMG_3502.thumb.JPG.e6b9c6fc5a89b4c45cf306aacfb877de.JPG

Speedpro

Paul Tolonen

Paul, I really enjoyed talking to you at GSL. Your ‘29 roadster was one of my favorite entries at the show. 

Edited by Marc Weller
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Marc Weller said:

Paul, I really enjoyed talking to you at GSL. Your ‘29 roadster was one of my favorite entries at the show. 

Mark , Enjoyed talking with you also. I'll have to keep my eye on your future builds to make sure i'm not building the same thing 😉. Seeing your '29 gave me a good perspective of what I was going to build without having to build it. It was going to turn out awsome just like your's

6 minutes ago, Speedpro said:

Mark , Enjoyed talking with you also. I'll have to keep my eye on your future builds to make sure i'm not building the same thing 😉. Seeing your '29 gave me a good perspective of what I was going to build without having to build it. It was going to turn out awsome just like your's

Yeah, you’ve got me thinking my next build will be rolling on Drag Stars 😀 !!

Dale and I took the Kindig-It tour that Friday - last one of the day. Will came through - said his 'hellos' - said he had to get out of there because he had someplace special to go after work. We drove back to the GSL and he arrived shortly behind us!  It was mentioned at Kindig's that he was a modeler.  That he is! He was really examining a lot of the killer builds!  [PS: Nice guy]

• tim boyd changed the title to UPDATE! 2023 GSL entries with builders identified along with any awards for each model...

Thanks to all who looked at this coverage, and to all who commented above. 

Also, just a note that I've update the album with info on the winners where applicable.  Info appears in the first photo of each model in the album.  Click on the link in the first post in this thread to see more..

Best...TB 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:10 PM, Danno said:

Dale and I took the Kindig-It tour that Friday - last one of the day. Will came through - said his 'hellos' - said he had to get out of there because he had someplace special to go after work. We drove back to the GSL and he arrived shortly behind us!  It was mentioned at Kindig's that he was a modeler.  That he is! He was really examining a lot of the killer builds!  [PS: Nice guy]

Yes, Will Lockwood was there - and I did get a selfie!  Will is amazingly talented. Was super-impressed by the fold down top he designed for a recent Kindig  pickup project.  It was nice to say hello!

I was right by my build that was closely based on a Kindig build.  First thing he did was look at the engine.  Not sure what he thought of my choice an old-school 7 liter Vs the supercharged Coyote Kindig used!

695BAEB6-0FB8-4C3A-B20D-5F8697C5F114.jpeg

10C30DA4-A1D2-4BC7-A35A-2DED81D74DDC.jpeg