Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC '69 Rebel SST

pack rat

A stock-ish build up of a rare kit.  Hard to find, and $$$ if you find one, but at the end of the day a so-so kit.

The highlight of this kit is the early F/C chassis which is included in this and a few other Johan kits of the era.  As impressive as the box-art rendering is, it's too bad the Grant Rebel FC was actually based on a '68 body.  Oh well.

I decided to build a "stock" version. 

Even though the body is beautifully engraved and proportionally bang-on, there are a couple of impossible-to remove sink marks on the right side.  I added some lower rear quarter trim and wheel-lip moldings that should be there but aren't. 

The stock chassis is a '66 Marlin piece lengthened by about 1/8 inch.  Likewise, the engine is an early 60's-era (327?) V8, not the 290/343 that belongs in a '69. 

The stock interior is correct for the model year, too bad it's a totally inaccurate 3-piece assembly lifted from the '69 Ambassador!  (nice dash engraving though)

The magnums I borrowed from a '69 Road Runner look good but weren't available on the 1:1 car.  The kit-supplied wheels are the common turbine-style ones found in many Johan kits of the era....can't recall seeing similar wheels on a 1:1 AMC car, but they sure look similar to '66/67 Plymouth Fury hubcaps.

The box calls out a custom version....a plain-looking hidden-headlight grille, a pair of racing-style  O/S mirrors, and plain clear red taillights.

Paint is an attempt to replicate Bittersweet Orange using rattle cans as the airbrush was down for repair.  Maybe it's not 100% accurate, but it looks OK on the shelf. 

zzz1a copy.JPG

zzz1b copy.JPG

zzz2 - Copy.JPG

zzz3 copy.JPG

zzz4 - Copy.JPG

zzz5 - Copy.JPG

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

To me that is one of, if not the, greatest kits of all time. 

I am bias, I own 2 real AMCs and I had the kit when it was new. Dad came home from a meeting at Valvoline racing and handed me this kit. 

Your build looks GREAT!! The real car , to me, is as good as any MOPAR mid-size. 

Again...NICE work.