Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Problems -- Please Read

Dave Ambrose

We've had multiple problems reported with the forum.

• moving between pages isn't working
  • The like button isn't working

This seems to have been cause by a recent update to Chrome. We're working on fixing it as quickly as we can. The underlying problem is complicated. If clearing your browser cache doesn't clear the problem. Please try another browser, Safari or Edge don't seem to exhibit the problem. 

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose

• Like 3

if you use ad block plus it does this. i use ublock and everything works for me. I'm using firefox on windows 11 and i also use facebook container cos anything with a facebook link causes my browser problems without it and most ads have them even if your using an ad blocker.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

if you use ad block plus it does this. i use ublock and everything works for me. I'm using firefox on windows 11 and i also use facebook container cos anything with a facebook link causes my browser problems without it and most ads have them even if your using an ad blocker.

I use Firefox/DuckDuckGo and uBlock (which stops popups on YouTube) and everything has work flawlessly here for years. I have never been on Facebook.

For the past couple of days I have been experiencing problems similar to what others have been describing. This is a first as up to now I have not experienced any of these problems.

Rather than post in the longer thread which has now started to have descended into a more heated discussion and pointing fingers, I will add my observations here.

I started to have some issues starting a couple of days ago, maybe three or four.

I primarily use Chrome but knowing very well that sometimes changes may effect one browser and not another I tried, a number of times, different browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave. Behavior on all of these browsers is exactly the same whether I am logged in or not which to me indicates that whatever the issue it is not specific to any one or two browsers.

There are several things in respect to behavior that I am observing.

Logging in. When logging in I get warnings that "the connection is not secure", and "this form is not secure" and this in spite of the little padlock icon on the URL bar indicating a secure https connection.

image.png.48de3dcd603bd61ee04c3026dfb2dcf0.png

image.png.9800111ae8aa5aeac883f738aa694ca3.png

image.png.093bdad5c2a627fb5b8744be6fbf03b7.png

Logged in or not, like other users have been reporting, regardless of browser, I am unable to continue beyond page one of multi page threads UNLESS I "right click" on the next page number or next or last page >> and select "open in new tab" which causes that page  or next page or last page to be opened in new a tab.

Logged in, like other uses have been reporting, regardless of browser,  I cannot "like" a posting getting this error:

image.png.a9cf7b283267c2dd7b2866e59a78c6ef.png

There may be other issues but not that I have spent any time looking for.

Since, these behaviors are being experienced by (many, most, all) users and does not appear to be one or two browser specific then the problem lies elsewhere than users cache, user service providers, model or make of computer, or choice of internet browser. Rather, the issue more than likely lies with the forums host, some sort of php or javascript or certificate issue, change, or upgrade perhaps. Britmodeller uses this same forum software and I have not noted any of these issues on that forum.

The admins are well aware of these ongoing issues and are hard at work sorting the issues.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

The internet is a "web" of hosts and providers and some changes take some time ( sometimes days) to propagate throughout.

I able to post but I can also edit a post which to my mind indicates that the problem lies less with the basic forum software and more so with the layer between the forum and the user i.e. the forum's host and infrastructure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Interesting, bobthehobbyguy can "like" a posting but I still get an error.

I am sure the admins will get these issues sorted out. Short term pain, long term gain.

cheers, Graham

LIke I mentioned in pretty much every (of the several) threads about these problems, the forum has been working, and still works perfectly well for me.

Running on MS Windows 7 and Seamonkey browser. 

48 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

the issues seem to be with Windows

That does seem to be one the patterns.

I am using a PC and Windows 11.

Out of interest, I tried using a PC with Ubuntu Linux. I was able to log in, leave a "like", change page, etc In other words the forum worked normally. I also noted that the layout of the forum web pages was a little bit different. 

Curiouser and curiouser - wonder what it is about any browser on a Windows PC that makes such a difference. 

cheers, Graham

43 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

That does seem to be one the patterns.

I am using a PC and Windows 11.

Out of interest, I tried using a PC with Ubuntu Linux. I was able to log in, leave a "like", change page, etc In other words the forum worked normally. I also noted that the layout of the forum web pages was a little bit different. 

Curiouser and curiouser - wonder what it is about any browser on a Windows PC that makes such a difference. 

cheers, Graham

I know that Microsoft has done a update as somebody was complaining about it. I assume that  was windows 10 and 11. It makes sense that Windows 7 would work becuase there aren't any updates happening and Linux is different.

I'm surprised that you were having the issue with edge  because others have gone to edge and it worked. Did you try clearing your cache for it? If you do get it to work then I suspect that Microsofts latest update may be causing issues with other browsers. 

I

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm using a Samsung tablet that has android os and I'm using Google Chrome. As far as I can tell the issues seem to be with Windows.

I posted a little higher up the page that I am now having problems on latest Android version and using Chrome. I installed the DuckDuckGo browser and all is well, at least for the time being. Until this past Saturday I was only having problems on pc with Windows 10.