Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Problems -- Please Read

Dave Ambrose

I tried using Edge again. Cleared everything.

I can log in but still get the warning about "connection not being secure".

I can, when using the forum connected to http://www.modelcrsmg.com/forums ....  change pages of a topic and "like"  posting BUT it is inconsistent.

You will notice that Edge is indicating that the connection to the forum is not secure i.e. using HTTP: and not HTTPS:

image.png.2b4b34ccfce12f2e564bcf8b65121018.png

If I log in to the forum using Chrome ( or Firefox ) and manually change HTTPS://www.modelcrsmag.com/.... to HTTP://....  then the forum functions normally as I would have usually expected; that is, I can switch pages on multi page topics and leave "likes" per usual. Switch back to HTTPS:// and the issues return.

It seems that Edge is letting me connect via HTTP:// (non secure) by default whereas Chrome (etc) are connecting or at least attempting to connect via HTTPS:// (secure) by default. 

I recall that Chrome has some "safe browsing" settings and something about forcing the user to connect only via HTTPS:// but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. 

All in all, it still seems to me that the issue lies outside of the end users choice of browser but rather with how the forum/forum host/service provider is managing HTTPS://  or site certificates or something similar.

cheers, Graham 

• Like 1

I think we're making some good progress here.  I always use HTTP access (there is nothing really private or valuable in the info coming from and to the forum website, so I don't feel the need for HTTPS connection).  And I never had any of the problems described.

So I just tried to access the forum using HTTPS and and I got an error when trying to use the "like" button just like the other members. I reverted to HTTP and everything works fine again.

This could be a very important clue to the admins of this site or to the forums software vendor.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just tried an experiment. I changed to https on my tablet and I could not use the react button it gavethe error message.. Went back to http and it works. 

That confirms the observations you made.

does not work for me

This is useful information. It's possible that it doesn't fix all but 4.cases have been observed that do.

It would help of this information could be consolidated into one place. There are like 8 posts on the various issues.

What os and browser are you using? Which features are you having issues with?

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Thank you Dave for posting this info.  I noticed this issue (inability to go to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so forth pages on a given thread) starting about 3 or 4 days ago and was concerned it was an issue with my desktop computer using Windows 10 and Chrome.  I have not experienced it on my laptop using Windows 11 and Edge.  I was concerned that my desktop operating system had been somehow affected by a problematic issue on my end, not yours.  Thus, it is very reassuring to hear that the issue is not mine alone and that you all are working on a solution.  Best....TIM 

On 10/17/2023 at 10:37 PM, ColonelKrypton said:

For the past couple of days I have been experiencing problems similar to what others have been describing. This is a first as up to now I have not experienced any of these problems.

Rather than post in the longer thread which has now started to have descended into a more heated discussion and pointing fingers, I will add my observations here.

I started to have some issues starting a couple of days ago, maybe three or four.

I primarily use Chrome but knowing very well that sometimes changes may effect one browser and not another I tried, a number of times, different browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Brave. Behavior on all of these browsers is exactly the same whether I am logged in or not which to me indicates that whatever the issue it is not specific to any one or two browsers.

There are several things in respect to behavior that I am observing.

Logging in. When logging in I get warnings that "the connection is not secure", and "this form is not secure" and this in spite of the little padlock icon on the URL bar indicating a secure https connection.

image.png.48de3dcd603bd61ee04c3026dfb2dcf0.png

image.png.9800111ae8aa5aeac883f738aa694ca3.png

image.png.093bdad5c2a627fb5b8744be6fbf03b7.png

Logged in or not, like other users have been reporting, regardless of browser, I am unable to continue beyond page one of multi page threads UNLESS I "right click" on the next page number or next or last page >> and select "open in new tab" which causes that page  or next page or last page to be opened in new a tab.

Logged in, like other uses have been reporting, regardless of browser,  I cannot "like" a posting getting this error:

image.png.a9cf7b283267c2dd7b2866e59a78c6ef.png

There may be other issues but not that I have spent any time looking for.

Since, these behaviors are being experienced by (many, most, all) users and does not appear to be one or two browser specific then the problem lies elsewhere than users cache, user service providers, model or make of computer, or choice of internet browser. Rather, the issue more than likely lies with the forums host, some sort of php or javascript or certificate issue, change, or upgrade perhaps. Britmodeller uses this same forum software and I have not noted any of these issues on that forum.

The admins are well aware of these ongoing issues and are hard at work sorting the issues.

cheers, Graham

Same here.

IMPORTANT

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THE ISSUES WITH THE BOARD USE HTTP INSTEAD OF HTTPS. 

Please post here if it fixes your issues. 

The posts below explain more

On 10/18/2023 at 7:21 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just tried an experiment. I changed to https on my tablet and I could not use the react button it gavethe error message.. Went back to http and it works. 

That confirms the observations you made.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:52 AM, ColonelKrypton said:

If I log in to the forum using Chrome ( or Firefox ) and manually change HTTPS://www.modelcrsmag.com/.... to HTTP://....  then the forum functions normally as I would have usually expected; that is, I can switch pages on multi page topics and leave "likes" per usual. Switch back to HTTPS:// and the issues return.

It seems that Edge is letting me connect via HTTP:// (non secure) by default whereas Chrome (etc) are connecting or at least attempting to connect via HTTPS:// (secure) by default. 

• Thanks 1

Quick Update

I have made some changes to our security certificates. If I run the extensive diagnostics, they say our security certificates are good. I've noticed that browsers cache those certificates, and clearing the cache vexingly leaves them intact. I'm experiencing some of the same problems as the rest of you plus another set that's more than a little annoying. It looks like there may be another problem with the forum. 

I'm working on this nearly full time, and will keep doing so until it's resolved. I have a few steps I can take that should improve things by a lot, but I've run into a major roadblock there, and it's gotten way more complicated than it should be. 

I have discovered a partial work around for the paging problem. On Chrome, I can left click on the next page button, copy the link address, then open that address in a new tab. It's not the most convenient work-around, but it may help some of you. 

Please be assured that I'm working to resolve this as quickly as I can. The server might be going offline at random times, but I will let you know in advance when I can. 

Thank you all for your patience and support,
Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 10/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Quick Update

I have made some changes to our security certificates. If I run the extensive diagnostics, they say our security certificates are good. I've noticed that browsers cache those certificates, and clearing the cache vexingly leaves them intact. I'm experiencing some of the same problems as the rest of you plus another set that's more than a little annoying. It looks like there may be another problem with the forum. 

I'm working on this nearly full time, and will keep doing so until it's resolved. I have a few steps I can take that should improve things by a lot, but I've run into a major roadblock there, and it's gotten way more complicated than it should be. 

Interesting information. When I was doing some website work it was just related to the html and programming. My curiosity has been piqued and I've done some reading and now have a better understanding of the problem. How https and certificates work together.

Again thank you for your time for working to solve this complex problem. It will be interesting to know what the root cause was.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Like 1

Posts not saving are my bugbear.  On more than one occasion I have tried to save a post I have typed in for the 'save' to fail.

Sometimes I can recover it by toggling to a previous page and back again and it will allow me to save it.

But what really gets my back up is having done this sometimes it will still not save and then ask me for my email address as well as checking to see if I am a robot. (And this is happening whilst I am already logged in to the forum! Weird!)