Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 15 year 'Model Car' project finally completed!

Greetings All,

It has been a long summer.  Visiting aging parents in Florida and aging in-laws in Arizona have taken its toll.  (All are in Memory Care.)  As most of you know, it is a sad reminder that time is nobody's friend.  My one bright spot this summer is that I have finally completed my 'biggest model car project' ever.  (My wife's words, not mine.) 

I've had this '73 beetle since 1985 and used it as a daily driver for many years.  15 years in Florida and about 6 here in Alabama.  Took it partially apart to do some 'minor work' and wound up taking it totally apart because I wanted to build it back 'My Way'.  Work, family life, and everything else got in the way, so........there it sat, in a 'million pieces'.  After 15 years of on and off work it's finally done! 

Oh-yea...........it WILL be my daily ride again.  However, since I'm retired now, I don't have that much 'daily driving' anymore!     

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01133.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Joe Lange said:

Greetings All,

It has been a long summer.  Visiting aging parents in Florida and aging in-laws in Arizona have taken its toll.  (All are in Memory Care.)  As most of you know, it is a sad reminder that time is nobody's friend.  My one bright spot this summer is that I have finally completed my 'biggest model car project' ever.  (My wife's words, not mine.) 

I've had this '73 beetle since 1985 and used it as a daily driver for many years.  15 years in Florida and about 6 here in Alabama.  Took it partially apart to do some 'minor work' and wound up taking it totally apart because I wanted to build it back 'My Way'.  Work, family life, and everything else got in the way, so........there it sat, in a 'million pieces'.  After 15 years of on and off work it's finally done! 

Oh-yea...........it WILL be my daily ride again.  However, since I'm retired now, I don't have that much 'daily driving' anymore!     

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01133.JPG

Wow, very clean work. Looks like new. And grey/red is always a good combination.

• Thanks 1

That's one clean bug!  I grew up with Volkswagen's...my Dad was a independent VW mechanic and worked on all the Bugs, Ghias, wagons & buses in the area!  There was always a VW of some type at our shop!  Lots of memories!

I see Revell has a 68 Bug model kit out...You should try to build a replica!

• Thanks 1

That looks a very nice restoration and mild customising job you have done there Joe.

Those old VW Beetles have something about them so it is not surprising that they have such a dedicated following. They are a bit of a fun car to drive and the old beetles also have a large following over here in the UK.

It was well worth the wait in your case to do it when you were ready to tackle it.

• Thanks 1

Nice color looks like my 73 Superbeetle !

My dad gave it to me when I was 18 (48 now) and he owned it for 10 years prior so in the family 40 yrs 

went over the hole lego set in 2003 floors pans, channels , the works 1776 ,44 IDF webers more in the motor then the cars worth lol 

1973-volkswagen-super-beetle-pic-32236.jpeg

Edited by milo1303s
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:15 PM, ea0863 said:

Joe, shoot down to your local Costco and grab the Maisto VW Beetle for $16.99. It's in virtually the same color as your beautiful ride! :) maxresdefault.jpg.d5b4135b0b57418249e2ed4ed67f87c8.jpg

Thanks EMRE, but I'm afraid if I bring home one more VW toy or model, my wife will put them, (and me), on Ebay. 

Yea, I've accumulated a 'few' over the years along with my other model car kits.