Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box stock buildup: Original issue Heller Ferrari 4 Full Detail Kit....

Here follows a collage of photos of my buildup of the original issue of Heller's 1/24th scale Ferrari P4 kit.  I built this kit box stock way back in 1974, with Pactra Red as the paint color. 

While many feel this kit was/is difficult to assemble, to the best of my memories from 49 (Ouch!) years ago, I did not encounter any real issues with this kit. (Now as to Heller's 917K, that's a whole 'nother story!)

Thanks for checking this out...TIM 

DSC 0543

DSC 0544

DSC 0545

DSC 0546

DSC 0547

DSC 0548

DSC 0549

DSC 0550

DSC 0551

DSC 0553

DSC 0554

DSC 0555

DSC 0556

DSC 0557

DSC 0558

DSC 0559

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, that looks great! The P4 is such an awesome car. It's kind of the final encore for sexy, beautiful race cars from the sixties. Many designs up to this point were just intuitive, aerodynamically speaking. The Chaparrals and GT40's were transitional, with lot's of wind tunnel time. Everything that's followed since then has become more functional, but not necessarily pretty- especially compared to the P4. It's just gorgeous!

So, when you built this cool model going on 50 years ago, did you ever imagine you'd have your own personal computer sitting at your desk, that you shoot photographs with your Tricorder.....I mean cell phone...... and that you'd instantly share it with thousands of people around the world with the click of a few keys? 😄

-TIM-

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 3:39 PM, Hoffman said:

Tim, that looks great! The P4 is such an awesome car. It's kind of the final encore for sexy, beautiful race cars from the sixties. Many designs up to this point were just intuitive, aerodynamically speaking. The Chaparrals and GT40's were transitional, with lot's of wind tunnel time. Everything that's followed since then has become more functional, but not necessarily pretty- especially compared to the P4. It's just gorgeous!

So, when you built this cool model going on 50 years ago, did you ever imagine you'd have your own personal computer sitting at your desk, that you shoot photographs with your Tricorder.....I mean cell phone...... and that you'd instantly share it with thousands of people around the world with the click of a few keys? 😄

-TIM-

Hi Tim....thanks for the comments.   As regards those questions, back then I never thought about the future in any terms, much less those involving modeling or the technologies that we enjoy today.  Kinda makes you / me wonder what the next round of "the future" might hold for us, doesn't it? 

Your comments about beauty in race cars are spot on, too.  Formula 1 cars from the 1960s and 1970s vs. those things that race today?  No comparision, either!   

Best...TIM 

• 1 month later...