Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foil from Cigarette Boxes

Important thing out of the way first, I don't smoke. I was able to get some (empty!) boxes from one of my brother's co-workers. I have read about using the foil to replicate things like insulation and stuff like that but what I would like to know is if it's possible to remove the foil from the paper backing. Simply trying to peel the foil off hasn't worked, nor has kissing it with a flame, so I'm at a loss on that. Other things that have a foil coating like the wrapper from some gums that can simply be peeled off. What do you think?  

16 hours ago, T-Ray said:

Important thing out of the way first, I don't smoke. I was able to get some (empty!) boxes from one of my brother's co-workers. I have read about using the foil to replicate things like insulation and stuff like that but what I would like to know is if it's possible to remove the foil from the paper backing. Simply trying to peel the foil off hasn't worked, nor has kissing it with a flame, so I'm at a loss on that. Other things that have a foil coating like the wrapper from some gums that can simply be peeled off. What do you think?  

The cigarette wrapper foil on paper backing is sort of quilted and the extra thickness of the paper is what makes it a good representation of 1:1 insulation.  Plus it is embossed and sometimes it has tiny holes in it. Separating it from the paper would ruin its appearance as insulation.

Why would you like to separate it from the backing paper Tom?  If you need smooth foil then (as you said) get it from gum wrappers, or get some foil that is designed for hobbyists (like Bare Metal Foil). Use the cigarette stuff to represent insulation.

Yes, the cigarette foil is good stuff with many uses. I scratchbuilt a master for some '37 Ford bullet-style tail lights and cast them in resin years ago, and used the textured foil as reflectors epoxied onto the back of the lenses. It gave a nice sparkled texture when seen through the red lenses.

Heating that type of foil with a lighter usually allows separating the paper from the foil- you want to let the flame lick the paper side until the paper just starts to pull away on a corner and then gently peel the paper back onto itself.

3 hours ago, peteski said:

Why would you like to separate it from the backing paper Tom?  If you need smooth foil then (as you said) get it from gum wrappers, or get some foil that is designed for hobbyists (like Bare Metal Foil). Use the cigarette stuff to represent insulation.

The idea was to get uber-thin foil backed by an adhesive but you do bring up good points against using the cigarette foil. As I mentioned, I never had success in separating it. The question was more so if it was possible as opposed to a serious proposition. 

1 hour ago, T-Ray said:

The idea was to get uber-thin foil backed by an adhesive but you do bring up good points against using the cigarette foil. As I mentioned, I never had success in separating it. The question was more so if it was possible as opposed to a serious proposition. 

Oh, I see. I was just curios about your reasoning.  Sounds like BMF is exactly what you are looking for: Uber-thin foil which is stretchy to conform to uneven surfaces, and is adhesive backed.  Lots of us have been successfully using it for very long time.

23 hours ago, T-Ray said:

I was going to suggest something like what gman suggested. The textured finish on the foil makes a great reflector for a taillight lenses, the larger and flatter the better. 

• Like 1

Someone here (I’m pretty sure it was @Impalow) sent me a link one time to some paper candy wrappers that were the EXACT same paper as you see in cigarette packs - silver with the tiny square pattern.

I ordered some at the time, but now my Amazon history doesn’t show that it ever existed, nor that I ever purchased it 🤔

Might be a good lead to check tho - wouldn’t be surprised if Michael’s or Hobby Lobby carries a similar product 

On 11/7/2023 at 11:34 PM, CabDriver said:

Someone here (I’m pretty sure it was @Impalow) sent me a link one time to some paper candy wrappers that were the EXACT same paper as you see in cigarette packs - silver with the tiny square pattern.

I ordered some at the time, but now my Amazon history doesn’t show that it ever existed, nor that I ever purchased it 🤔

Might be a good lead to check tho - wouldn’t be surprised if Michael’s or Hobby Lobby carries a similar product 

Yup that was me!    look up "foil chocolate wrappers" on amazon, tons of options and different textures!  (and a "lifetime" supply for cheap)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9JRGMLH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_5GN3D2MK7KE3BBJ9CDBV

I used that one to make this parachute pack for my FED.

Dragster14.jpg

Dragster21.jpg

Edited by Impalow
  • Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 3:30 PM, espo said:

I was going to suggest something like what gman suggested. The textured finish on the foil makes a great reflector for a taillight lenses, the larger and flatter the better. 

I used it for the taillights and side markers on this Monza. It works beautifully, I'd say! It's not easy to see in photos, but, it looks right.

3936b.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_4165cr.jpg

IMG_4093cr.jpg

IMG_4101cr.jpg

17 hours ago, T-Ray said:

Wow! Those look great! I'm gonna have to remember that

Thank you! After I posted that, I realized that this Vega shows up better. I used clear sheet to make these, and painted the colors with Tamiya clear colors. The pattern might be a little too pronounced, here. But, it's not horrile.

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you! After I posted that, I realized that this Vega shows up better. I used clear sheet to make these, and painted the colors with Tamiya clear colors. The pattern might be a little too pronounced, here. But, it's not horrile.

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Brilliant, Daniel. I'll be using that one. 

• Like 1