Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1976 Chevy Caprice

AMT68

Last post in Under Glass for the year is this 1/25 scale MPC '76 Chevrolet Caprice Classic from the reissue with the retro box art. It's painted in Dupli-Color Chrysler Forest Green Pearl with Rust-Oleum clear. White wall tires are AMT Firestones and the side view mirror is from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo. I "backlit" the provided tail lights with the bright side of some aluminum foil. The tail pipes hang too low and aren't molded very cleanly and an area I'd like to improve on my next build. I used the "Caprice" decal for the trunk script from one of the recent reissues. Since this build I've done foil under paint on a second build and the trunk script foiled is an improvement over the decal. 

Though not everyone's cup of tea I've always admired the '71-'76 B-body coupes (and convertibles) from Chevrolet. And I've always had a particular liking for the '76 Caprice with it's curved front end and rectangular head lights. And why I picked up a half dozen of these kits. 

DSC_8045.JPG

DSC_8050.JPG

DSC_7780.JPG

DSC_7934.JPG

DSC_7946.JPG

DSC_8080.JPG

DSC_8165.JPG

DSC_8283.JPG

DSC_8175.JPG

• Like 11

Looks good to me Tom, and I'm pretty picky on those old '76s as I used to own an almost fully equipped [just missing the power seat]  '76 Landau, burgundy/burgundy with black vinyl on the back of the roof which I replaced with silver when I was re-doing the car. Loved that car, great for going to the drive-in with the fully reclining passenger seat. 😉

Kudos on doing the windshield pillars properly, most builds I see of them leave the body color strip on the pillar as on the box art, which is wrong.

22 hours ago, michelle said:

Very very nice work 

22 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nicely done.

21 hours ago, Kah puts said:

You done a great job there sir👍

Thanks Michelle, Jim and Glen

20 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Sweet looking Caprice Tom. Totally agree with you on the appealing body styling on these year Chevys.

Thanks Garry. For me part of the appeal from that generation is the concave rear window. 

18 hours ago, carrucha said:

Sharp build.  I really dig these "glasshouse" Impalas and Caprices.

Thanks Hector. There's some great YouTube videos on Glasshouse car show gatherings I enjoy. 

17 hours ago, Mittagskind said:

Great clean build.

16 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

13 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That is absolutely beautiful! That paint!! I really love the detailing on the hubcaps as well. 

Thanks Hanjo, Chris and Jeff. The wheel covers were a bit of a challenge and honestly the Landau style wheels covers would've been a better kit option.

12 hours ago, Matt87 said:

I love these cars. Yours looks great! I built one years ago but my skills are better now i wanna pick this kit up again.

Thanks Matthew, their still fairly plentiful despite being out a while. 

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

Great looking model.  That Forest Green Pearl looks really deep.  Nicely done.

11 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Great build, very well done!!

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Very nice. Smooth paint, lovely shine to it.👌 Love these old boats.

Thanks Bob, Tom and Gareth. I much prefer the styling of these old full size coupes to todays vehicles that dominate the automotive landscape. 

11 hours ago, eastown said:

Very,very nice.

9 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful!

6 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

As you said not everybody's cup of tea (me included) but you did an awesome job on bringing this kit to a higher standard and the trim is super clean. It looks gorgeous in this color combo. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob, Lee and Mario. The color combination is not only what I remember and like but also what I owned from GM cars in this era. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking paint finish and vinyl roof cover. The body trim is all cleanly done. 

4 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Very nice. Great 70's look with that green and white.

Thanks David and Andy This color is just slightly darker than the one offered that year. 

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Looks good to me Tom, and I'm pretty picky on those old '76s as I used to own an almost fully equipped [just missing the power seat]  '76 Landau, burgundy/burgundy with black vinyl on the back of the roof which I replaced with silver when I was re-doing the car. Loved that car, great for going to the drive-in with the fully reclining passenger seat. 😉

Kudos on doing the windshield pillars properly, most builds I see of them leave the body color strip on the pillar as on the box art, which is wrong.

Thanks Steve I'm thinking of doing one in a Burgundy color eventually. I made sure of the windshield pillars but didn't get the body colored sections between the tail lights. I'm okay with the bodyside molding in bright though it had vinyl insert. I noticed on your build that you have that molding correct. How did you accomplish the painted section of the molding as neatly as you did?