Model Cars Magazine Forum

A question for Mr. Goldman - Re Round 2

iwantmodels

16 hours ago, xbazzarex said:

I realize this is a snowballs chance in hell but, will there ever be any newer pontiac stuff? 3rd and 4th gen tran ams,

You may already be aware of this but every year of Firebird from '67 to 2002 was kitted in either Trans Am or Formula flavor. 

20 hours ago, xbazzarex said:

I realize this is a snowballs chance in hell but, will there ever be any newer pontiac stuff? 3rd and 4th gen tran ams, G8 GXP, Solstice GXP, 97-02 grand prix coupe? i know the 3rd gens get made every so often but they are usually knight rider stuff. 

I'd love to see a Solstice. I think that's one of the best-looking modern-era cars GM made. Supposed to be a real treat to drive, too, from everyone I've talked to that has one.

A G8 would be cool, too, and it would offer the basic tooling for a Chevy SS and a Caprice.

Charlie Larkin

On 12/7/2023 at 2:07 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Although I have two annuals, I would love an all-new cloned with improvements Bonnie, both in hard-as ragtop, but then there is still the Hasegawa thingy, which can be re-popped any time, tho it never will have to cool sixties spy/secret agent goodies the original Mpc kit had.

image.thumb.png.b128dceeac7c2ac832146fb66b52b2ba.png

I did not know the kit above ever existed. I am currently converting the Hasegawa from a curbside to a full detail kit. Revell parts pack 421 scratch built dash and console etc.

9 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You may already be aware of this but every year of Firebird from '67 to 2002 was kitted in either Trans Am or Formula flavor. 

yep, just most of the time the 3rd gens are kitts, and the late model 4th gen kits are pretty difficult to find. probably not much of a market anymore for those generations i guess. 

On 12/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, charlie8575 said:

I'd love to see a Solstice. I think that's one of the best-looking modern-era cars GM made. Supposed to be a real treat to drive, too, from everyone I've talked to that has one.

Nice little car, kinda slow with the 2.4 L4.

Stick an LS in it, you have a real treat to drive.   B)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/pontiac-solstice-v8-conversion/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

To the original post: I honestly doubt a new interior would create any meaningful incremental demand for the '66 Wildcat.  

However, fixing the notable flaws in the new-tool kits that did not get the final finessing from the original design team (due to poor decision making at the old RC at crucial junctures) would be well worth investigating.

There are several kits where attentive enthusiasts (not even the 2-percenter rivet counters) would be seriously re-energized for the subject with the obvious issues fully corrected. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, xbazzarex said:

yep, just most of the time the 3rd gens are kitts, and the late model 4th gen kits are pretty difficult to find. probably not much of a market anymore for those generations i guess. 

If they could find the original tooling inserts for the front and rear bumpers, they can easily do any Firebird GTA from ‘88-‘92.  For the earlier Firebird Trans Am, they would need to find the front bumper for the ‘82-‘83 models.  The rear bumper on the recent Knight Rider reissue is the original ‘82-‘83 style so it seems they never lost that bumper insert. Then, if they can find the ‘85-‘87 front/rear bumpers and side ground effects, those models could be covered too.  The only problem would be the incorrect later interior for the earlier variants, but that didn’t stop Round2 from the last Knight Rider reissue with the incorrect ‘90-‘92 GTA interior.

The earlier style Camaro may be more difficult because the front bumper and the ground effects were molded with the body on that one.  So, as they made the various updates over the years, they were molded in with the body tooling.  However, the ‘92 Camaro Z28 would be nice to see again if they could find the tooling.  Also, the promo based ‘91-‘92 Camaro Z28 from the old “SnapFast Plus” series line would be nice to see again as well.  That is, if they can find the promo tooling inserts for it like the molded in hood with screw stand supports on the inside, solid roof insert and the one piece promo style chassis.  They could market it under the new Craftman Plus series.  

Edited by mikos

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Mr Goldman will the new '68 hardtop Coronet have a new interior ,like back seat door cards ? will they be flat like they should  be  and not the convertible style ? thx

Yes, the reason that the '68 Convertible kit has the separate door cards and a back seat as that Hardtop kit will have the new Hardtop specific parts for both. 

-Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the reason that the '68 Convertible kit has the separate door cards and a back seat as that Hardtop kit will have the new Hardtop specific parts for both. 

-Steve

Thank you Steve  ,Awesome news .

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice little car, kinda slow with the 2.4 L4.

Stick an LS in it, you have a real treat to drive.   B)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/pontiac-solstice-v8-conversion/

I suppose that' no more terrifying than when I literally had to learn how to drive a manual transmission in a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack. I was absolutely terrified with all that power and the possibility of doing something that could be catastrophic for myself, those around me, the car, or any combination of the preceding.

Charlie Larkin

Bringing this back to Kits....

Steve, any idea when we might see any more of the AMT '32 Ford kits?

The Vicky was great, but it would be nice to see the Coupe or Phaeton back again. Since the Phaeton shares most of the Vicky's parts, I'd hope it would be an easy release.

And if we are talking 'cloning kits' how about the legendary '32 Sedan from the '32 Ford Sedan/ 41 Willys double kit.

That is one '32 that has a "Huge" built in sales appeal!

Or a Coupe/Roadster 2'n'1 Kit or Even Double Kit. Those kits would not be that hard to to squeeze into one box together as a true double kit.

Cheers, Alan

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stavanzer said:

And if we are talking 'cloning kits' how about the legendary '32 Sedan from the '32 Ford Sedan/ 41 Willys double kit.

Or, if the tooling must be created from scratch how about a 2n1 of the custom 32 sedan and the stock sedan in the same box.

Actually, you know what, scratch that. Because other than the body and glass they would share like zero parts. What was i thinking?

On 12/14/2023 at 12:00 AM, mikos said:

If they could find the original tooling inserts for the front and rear bumpers, they can easily do any Firebird GTA from ‘88-‘92.  For the earlier Firebird Trans Am, they would need to find the front bumper for the ‘82-‘83 models.  The rear bumper on the recent Knight Rider reissue is the original ‘82-‘83 style so it seems they never lost that bumper insert. Then, if they can find the ‘85-‘87 front/rear bumpers and side ground effects, those models could be covered too.  The only problem would be the incorrect later interior for the earlier variants, but that didn’t stop Round2 from the last Knight Rider reissue with the incorrect ‘90-‘92 GTA interior.

Another problem is Trans Ams have the front fender vents, the GTAs do not.

IIRC, the last issue of the KR car I bought for parts did not have the vents. 

16 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Bringing this back to Kits....

Steve, any idea when we might see any more of the AMT '32 Ford kits?

The Vicky was great, but it would be nice to see the Coupe or Phaeton back again. Since the Phaeton shares most of the Vicky's parts, I'd hope it would be an easy release.

That is one '32 that has a "Huge" built in sales appeal!

Or a Coupe/Roadster 2'n'1 Kit or Even Double Kit. Those kits would not be that hard to to squeeze into one box together as a true double kit.

Cheers, Alan

We've never run the 32 Ford Phaeton version, but RC/Ertl did a few times so it's on my to do list.  Hopefully all the inserts are there for it. 

As for '32 Sedan from the double kit, we know what we're missing, and we have the original parts for cloning.   I'm hoping for budget approval to move ahead.  It's come up before but has been bumped for other hot projects.  Fingers crossed .... 

-Steve

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

We've never run the 32 Ford Phaeton version, but RC/Ertl did a few times so it's on my to do list.  Hopefully all the inserts are there for it. 

As for '32 Sedan from the double kit, we know what we're missing, and we have the original parts for cloning.   I'm hoping for budget approval to move ahead.  It's come up before but has been bumped for other hot projects.  Fingers crossed .... 

-Steve

Great News, Steve.

What about the '32 Coupe/Roadster.

Most recent copy of the Roadster I have is the Millennium Edition with the extra parts added back in.

But that's been 24 Years (gulp). I still think of it as a New Kit.......