Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your most difficult kits

On 12/2/2023 at 7:25 AM, peteski said:

This is an easy one!

It is Pocher 1:8 scale 1934 Mercedes 500 K built over 30 years ago.  With over 1,000 ill fitting parts and its large size, it was a very difficult build.

MB340AK.JPG

I can X2 all of your frustrations.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

That’s not a 1:1??  Wow.  Looks like it was well worth the effort then.  👍

Thank you very much. One of the hardest I have completed. Here is a Porsche 935/78 engine that is pretty intense also. MFH kit . It’s a work in progress. 

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5600.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, Daddyfink said:

Kudos to all those who have conquered the Revell Orange Crate, because I never have! LOL! 

image.png.5ae2885333b5d561fb6fabfbd2eaaba4.png

Honorable mention...

image.png.2c69a2d506f03bda7c3e2b0b5a89ace2.png

If you thought Orange Crate was bad you should try this one...it's even worse.
This is a modified version of the Orange Crate and I bought one as a teenager back in the late 70's as I thought it looked cool, I didn't know it was based on the Orange Crate then tho'...started to build it, the chassis and drive train is the same as the "Crate" but the body was supposed to sit on the chassis permanent and had a floor so it was not flip up body and the front fenders was added,  nothing fitted like it should so I finally gave up on it...the only kit that has beat me so far.

1_87774ed2cd93102e7da3391900d955311976.jpg.0cff34ec6ff34756457efa2b06693ff3.jpg

This is a couple other versions of the kit.

(KGrHqIOKnUE3ZOUKty-BNCCMTZvg_3.jpg.fb5cd486c515e4b4daca2fe13ad19dc9.jpg

1_3978d2d34067b48873362eec6d3ec0541986.jpg.4acc771cd97a0ea16329b4264185ffe4.jpg

I do have a couple of the Orange Crate reissues from 1999, my modeling skills has improved some over the years and I will give it a go some time in the future.

Edited by Force
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Force said:

If you thought Orange Crate was bad you should try this one...it's even worse.
This is a modified version of the Orange Crate and I bought one as a teenager back in the late 70's as I thought it looked cool, I didn't know it was based on the Orange Crate then tho'...started to build it, the chassis and drive train is the same as the "Crate" but the body was supposed to sit on the chassis permanent and had a floor so it was not flip up body and the front fenders was added,  nothing fitted like it should so I finally gave up on it...the only kit that has beat me so far.

1_87774ed2cd93102e7da3391900d955311976.jpg.0cff34ec6ff34756457efa2b06693ff3.jpg

This is a couple other versions of the kit.

(KGrHqIOKnUE3ZOUKty-BNCCMTZvg_3.jpg.fb5cd486c515e4b4daca2fe13ad19dc9.jpg

1_3978d2d34067b48873362eec6d3ec0541986.jpg.4acc771cd97a0ea16329b4264185ffe4.jpg

I do have a couple of the Orange Crate reissues from 1999, my modeling skills has improved some over the years and I will give it a go some time in the future.

Yes! The blue Chopped Deuce! LOL! My uncle gave it to me as a Christmas present and it was the worst thing I ever tried to assemble up that point. Never finished it either! LOL! 

I should take another wack at it as well. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2023 at 1:41 AM, DanL said:

No question the AMT 70 1/2 Z28 wins for most maddening for least result.... Such a popular car yet such a poorly executed model kit

9DSC00346.jpg

Love your camaro

On 12/15/2023 at 3:41 AM, DanL said:

No question the AMT 70 1/2 Z28 wins for most maddening for least result.... Such a popular car yet such a poorly executed model kit

9DSC00346.jpg

Mine is sitting in purgatory as I try to figure out how to weave the headers in between the engine and subframe. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:08 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

This was my early model building career nemesis. Finished it and didn’t keep it during the great model purge. Took the pic from the net, don’t think this was the box art from the kit I built.

D3F18821-BE3E-4AA9-B373-48BF77E9956E.jpeg

This builds up well if you do not follow the instructions.... LOL

Any of the miniart tractor kits. The parts fit is great but some items like fuel taps could have been molded on instead of being seperate parts. can you imagine how tiny the part is when its only about an inch and a half full size. or some of the carb body parts having so little strength they break just from being set down gently, or the seat being 14 parts when it could easily have been three. even a rose stopcock like you see on old taps is 6 parts. I've started one of them but i really have to be in the mood to work on it as its such a pita. I suspect the others are going to be worse as they have the pre war steel wheels to build up but even with the difficulty i'll keep buying them as i like old tractors. this is the one i've been working on

MIN24007.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:41 AM, DanL said:

Ding ding ding! That's my selection too. To be a relatively "modern" kit from the end of AMTs Dyersville new kits, this thing's got some great detail and once finished it looks awesome, but the execution is abysmal. It's like whoever did the original test shot build for this kit must have been used to building the old sixties kits with worn out molds and felt it was close enough to just send it. The only other model I've been nearly as flustered with is the Monogram sprint cars. I bought two when they were released in the eighties. One developed wings when I was building it and was never heard from again, except for a few found pieces and I finished the second one last year with the wheels and tires from the first one.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, Daddyfink said:

Yes! The blue Chopped Deuce! LOL! My uncle gave it to me as a Christmas present and it was the worst thing I ever tried to assemble up that point. Never finished it either! LOL! 

I should take another wack at it as well. 

Well, thanks a lot. Because of you and Force, I drug out my Revell Chopped Deuce that I've had in my stash for over 40 years and give it another try.  Man, this thing is frustrating. I did an engine swap with my leftovers from a Tweety Pie kit and it makes it even more difficult. I'm about "done" with chassis and interior but I can't get the steering column to stay glued when I try to put the interior on the chassis and the instructions are no help. I'm close to the end one way or another. There is a reason it's been out and put back several times over the past 40 years. Thanks again, guys.      

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:29 PM, ksnow said:

Mine is sitting in purgatory as I try to figure out how to weave the headers in between the engine and subframe. 

I have had the same problem on another car and a friend said to make them, out of solder. You can twist and bend them a little and it might work. Worked for my situation. Just a thought. 

Revell T600 Aerodyne. Absolutley nothing fit as it was supposed to even the instructions were wrong in my kit. I think I have posted it here in the wip or under glass or both describing how it fought me all the way... it was so bad that the amt t600 everyone said was a pain to build felt like a italeri kit where everything just goes toghether without major problems..