Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "Illusion" by Rick Dore.......on the Bench 12/9/23

John Teresi

Hello......This will be a replica of Rick Dores :  The "Illusion".......It will be a Birthday present for my Father......My Dad was watching The Sema car show on TV  about 4 years ago and saw this car The "Illusion" built by Rick Dore.......My Dad bought the Car ......and I am going to build him a replica of it........I sent a bunch of pictures to my good friend Keven with "Frankies Hobby & Horror Shop" and asked him to draw up and 3D print the body for me......Keven did a Fantastic Job .....I have been doing Business with Keven for a few years now  and his work is just Awesome.......then I asked my good friend Steve A.  to 3D print a GM LS3 engine and Trans. for it, thank you Steve for your Awesome work and Decals......I will be using a AMT Bel Air kit as a donor .......I will be doing a lot of modifications and using part box parts.........the guy sitting in my Dads Car is Chris Sobak my good buddy who has helped me with a lot of my models thanks Chris......thanks for looking

thumbnail-1.jpeg

DSCF2373.jpg

thumbnail.jpeg

DSCF2372.jpg

DSCF2375.jpg

DSCF2370.jpg

DSCF2374.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Edited by John Teresi
  • Like 12

On 12/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

What a great subject, and we expect your usual mastery of details!

Just curious: I suppose the steel body was hammered by a member of the famous Delay family, of Custom Metal fame in Corona? 

CT 

I did some research on the car for John to figure out some details for the engine and decals, and the body was done by Luc Deley of Marcel's, but the body isn't steel, it was made out of aluminum.  There are quite a few pics of the car online where it was displayed at like SEMA in raw aluminum.

Steve A.

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

Nice - hi john - are the eng parts drawn and printed - appear to be …

No, I purchase a file of a 1/10th scale Chevy LS3 and a 4L60 automatic transmission for John, and scaled them to the sizes he needed and resin printed them.  I have an Anycubic Photon Mono X6Ks printer.

Steve A.

5 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Great to see you back doing a build thread John. Looking forward to seeing how you work with the 3D printed parts.

If you saw John's post awhile back of the Radial Motorcycle build he did with Curt Raitz, I 3D printed the radial engines & some small parts for them, and John did a great job with those parts.  You can see details of both their bikes here:

Plus, John has used a couple of 3D printed bodies on some of his builds.  I don't think it makes much of a difference to John if he is working in plastic or resin.

Steve A.

3 hours ago, Leo64 said:

I did some research on the car for John to figure out some details for the engine and decals, and the body was done by Luc Deley of Marcel's, but the body isn't steel, it was made out of aluminum.  There are quite a few pics of the car online where it was displayed at like SEMA in raw aluminum.

Steve A.

Thank you Steve!

Indeed, I know the Deley's always favored aluminium over steel, for its ease of hand-forming. Great project. 

CT