Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023: My modeling year in review

ismaelg

Hello,

Happy holidays and best wishes for a wonderful new year!   Life continues to be beautifully chaotic.  Very busy with work, family, community and other hobbies.
This 2023 was a very interesting year. Hobby-wise, while 2022 was dominated by cameras and stereophotography viewers restorations, in one of those curve ball life throws at you, I spent a lot of time in 2023 with a modeling tool that became a new hobby in itself: Airbrushes! I now collect, restore and research airbrushes, particularly vintage units.  I have worked in more airbrushes this year than scale models.  Very few cameras were worked this year: serviced 3 but they were not mine. I also worked one or two stereophotography viewers.
I also did an epic trip with my wife to Italy, one of the most beautiful places in the universe.
But talking about scale models, this was a productive year. For the first time in over a decade I was able to finish 9 models within a calendar year. Granted, most were curbsides so sometimes I felt like cheating :) 
They were also quite diverse:
4 Corvettes in 1/25 scale
2 Star Wars spaceships
2 cars in 1/32
1 race car in 1/43 
No aircraft models this year, nor any modified Hot Wheels

Here is my class of 2023 in chronological order:

1.  Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X1. 1/36 scale   While mostly built in 2022, it was finished in early January so it counts for this year.  AMT kit: Contender for the worst fitting kit ever made.
2v2eatmFFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eatmyyxJ21ND.jpg
Link to the build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/2962/finished-darth-vaders-ride-advanced 

2. 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe.  Carlisle blue: one year only color.  1/25 scale. Modified Z06. Very long term project started almost a decade ago.
2v2eZdnDGxJ21ND.jpg 

2v2eZdnkgxJ21ND.jpg
Link to build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/1857/finished-2012-corvette-grand-sport

3.  Red Squadron Leader (Red 1) X-Wing Fighter  1/63 scale  Reissue of the old MPC kit.  Modified.
2v2ebKPzNxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ebKPWFxJ21ND.jpg
Link to the build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3072/finished-star-wars-wing-fighter

4. 1978 Pontiac Trans Am  1/32 scale.  Monogram kit.  Fun little project.
2v2eb6opixJ21ND.jpg

2v2eb6oGCxJ21ND.jpg
Link to the build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3103/finished-judge-monogram-pontiac-trans

5. 1915 Ford Model T  1/32 scale.   Excellent old Pyro kit from the 1960's   Tons of details added. Complex project. Very happy with the results. 
2v2e6pzALxJ21ND.jpg

2v2e6p5QdxJ21ND.jpg
Link to the build thread:race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3111/finished-1915-ford-model-pyro

6. Early C4 Corvette Racer.  1/25 scale. Contender for favorite of the year. Part of a local Corvette buildoff. Heavily modified 1984 promo.
2v2ekUSV5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7hY3xJ21ND.jpg
Link to build thread:race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3242/finished-quick-builds-local-buildoff

7. 1990 Corvette Convertible.  1/25 scale. Part of the local Corvette buildoff. AMT kit. One of the worst fitting Corvette kits ever made. Tons of work required.
2v2eSjwMHxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eSjwN9xJ21ND.jpg
Link to build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3242/finished-quick-builds-local-buildoff

8. 1963 Corvette convertible Restomod.  1/25 scale. Part of the local Corvette buildoff.  Quick custom using the Revell snap kit. 
2v2ehYu9rxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ehYu32xJ21ND.jpg
Link to build thread: race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3242/finished-quick-builds-local-buildoff

9. 1956 Ferrari 290 MM (Mille Miglia)  1/43 scale  white metal kit.  A most challenging build.
2v2eCcE4MxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eCcED8xJ21ND.jpg
Link to build thread:race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/3147/finished-43-1956-ferrari-290

What is your favorite?  As usual, your comments are appreciated.
Looking forward to 2024!

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 7

I think I remember seeing a number of these builds posted here throughout the year.

The quality and detail of your builds always impresses me Ismael. Your photography skills are excellent too.

May you and your family have a happy and prosperous 2024.

David G.