Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spilling Plastruct Liquid Cement: terrible bottle design!

I cant be the only one with this problem!!    I started using Plastruct liquid cement last year, and i have probably dumped this bottle 4 times while trying to insert the cap and brush back in.  What a terrible designed bottle!!!  rounded way to much on the bottom.   So this is what i did.  I used a spray paint lid and taped it to the bottle,  problem solved!    a Edge shaving cream lid would also work,  i happen to have a revell chrome lid that fit good too.   But be sure to tape it on, otherwise you will have a tendancy to lift the bottle out of the lid.

20240106_182658.jpg

Good idea. I will  give it a try.

I have one of these:

https://www.hobcen.com/products/hc3d17-plastruct-no-tip-glue-holder?variant=39262799167617

3d printed for my local hobby store. 

I did modify mine a bit however, I glued on a bit larger hex shaped base made form 1/4" aluminum which adds more weight on the bottom and makes it nearly impossible to tip over.

cheers, Graham

thats hilarious!     the tipping problem is so bad that someone actually sells a comercially available product to fix the problem.  Why doesnt Plastruct just make a better shaped bottle?   i guess they can sell more product that way.  I wasted atleast one full 10 dollar bottle by spilling it and had to go buy another.

I super glue a plastic plate to the bottom of the bottle of anything I don't want to spill. I once spilled a can of zip kicker on the dining room table, it ate the plastic Xmas table cloth and I got some on a built chassis. I keep all my CA glues in an old potato salad container so they can't fall over.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

I used the old "hole drilled in a block of wood" technique when I was using Plastruct. I've since moved on to Tamiya Extra-Thin, which has a great bottle design.

This is what I use mainly as glue for non-painted parts. I have around 5 CA glue types, like I said, I take care so they don't tip over. I have been using the Hobby Lobby CA glues, the caps stay cleaner than Zap-a-Gap does.

I’ve transferred my CA kicker over to a square Tamiya bottle. I also glued it and the regular extra thin Tamiya bottle to a thick metal plate. Then I glued non slip drawer liner to the bottom. This way I can open either with one hand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Potato salad is more traditional among modelers. I've known guys to use macaroni salad containers with good results.

Hmmmm. I wonder if a cottage cheese or sour cream container would work.

Weeks of intense experimentation and research to follow...

Probably going to need to apply for some kind of grant though.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

One can just as easily cut four pieces of 1mm styrene sheet 30mm high and cement the ends to form a box large enough to slip the bottle in. The four bottom corners will prevent the bottle from tipping over.

Or you could bore one of the finger holes in an old bowling ball to just accept the glue bottle, and then put the bowling ball on a bowling ball holder...

image.png.2f3b92ff5b2ca45382fd0cc7ab9937f6.png

...which you could 3D print if you were a really cool hot hip happenin' kind of fella...

image.png.5d6a10cfcfa87249bc7f46fe90352f6c.png

...which you could put on the back of a trained giant turtle...

image.png.197ae1684a6a6b9f9afde5108ea5d919.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Or you could bore one of the finger holes in an old bowling ball to just accept the glue bottle, and then put the bowling ball on a bowling ball holder...

image.png.2f3b92ff5b2ca45382fd0cc7ab9937f6.png

...which you could 3D print if you were a really cool hot hip happen' kind of fella...

image.png.5d6a10cfcfa87249bc7f46fe90352f6c.png

...which you could put on the back of a trained giant turtle...

image.png.197ae1684a6a6b9f9afde5108ea5d919.png

Or you could just take your chances like I do.

I kinda like livin' on the edge. :D

Steve

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or you could just take your chances like I do.

I kinda like livin' on the edge. :D

Steve

Me too. I have never tipped anything over except my Dixie cup full of sprue lengths.

A long time ago I knocked over a bottle of Testors liquid cement.  It was almost full and I lost about 75% of the cement.  Since then I put the cement bottle in a plastic cap from an aerosol deodorant.  

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

We have all knocked liquid cement bottles over at some time or other. Some ingenious holder suggestions on here.

I put my Plastruct Plastic Weld in a shallow wide glass honey/jam jar to keep it stable white in use.

I've knocked a bottle over, and once was enough...as it ruined several assemblies on the bench I couldn't pull out in time.

But ever since I started using the bowling ball / giant trained turtle setup, I haven't had any more problems, no matter how doofy clumsy not-paying-attention I am on any particular day. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Many of you probably don't remember inkwells in your school desks.  I do (and the mess we used to make back in the 1st grade).  Based on that idea, just drill a hole in your workbench to hold the glue bottle.  Unless you flip the bench over, there is no chance of spilling the glue! :D

• Like 1