Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our hobby to our wife

For those of you that are married. How does your spouse feel about you buying and building models. Is it a problem. I mean I never say anything about what she buys or how she spends money. I work she stays at home. Babysitting a little. Lay it on me. 

"Going to play with your toy cars?"

Ultimately, it doesn't bother her. I have a hobby that doesn't cost a lot in the big picture.

I'm not out at the bar drinking. I'm not out spending big money on a side by side or sled or whatever. 

I'm not spending every weekend and most evenings at a golf course or buying $1000 clubs. 

Plus, I'm smart about it. We make good money, but I really don't spend much on the hobby. Could totally spend more, but I don't.

I'm sure if I started spending a ton on kits and supplies and tools, then she might have some issues with it.

But I don't, so we're good.

• Like 3

Cindy is great about my hobby and is quick to let others know that I build model cars and has even known to bring home kits and that she picked up at rummage sales.... She has actually found me some very cool stuff through the years, including an airbrush and paint booth!

• Like 3

In the mid 80's after my wife and I were married for a couple of years she encouraged me to get back into the hobby. That says a lot.

I don't go overboard on buying models and such but have accumulated more than I will be able to build. I keep everything tidy in our spare rooms and real life comes first so modeling doesn't interfere with anything. The only thing she says once in awhile now is when I finish another model..... "Where are you going to put that?". Running out of room a little bit.

• Like 3

I'm fortunate that my wife has been very supportive with my model building. She has reminded me a few times when I show up with a new kit that I already have more than I can build with the time I may or may not have left. She also goes along to the annual local model show and swap meet. This allows me to go visit other vendors and look at the models on display while she stays with my table of models I'm selling. She likes to go and look at the models as well and comments on the ones she likes the most. She helps me load up everything at the end of the day and we go home and have a nice dinner and we talk about what we both liked and maybe didn't like. She suggests body and interior colors for models of cars she likes. She has a couple of models of cars she liked that I made for her that she has in plastic display cases on the bookshelves in her home office. 

• Like 5

With the Ex-wife 1994-1997, I didn't get many and the hobby was about nil. 1. Because in 1995 our son was born, then Feb 0f 1997 our daughter.  Kids came first with me! 2. The fact she lied before we got married that she liked the hobby, only to use it as a weapon that I loved it more than I loved her, 3. I loved the children more than I did her. 4. She loved to smoke, read romance book's and Cheat! She left us for a 17 year old punk! The late wife was very supportive of the hobby, and would build when she was able to. But she had tremors in her hands most of the time. Our marriage was from 1999-2013

The ex also caused the children to be taken from our home, I fought to get them back, but because I was a single male . The state disliked me with a passion! If I got on the floor to play with my children that was wrong! If I tried to read to them That was also cutting into their play time, and If I sat and watched them play I wasn't interacting with them????

Edited by ranma
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Vettegasser said:

For those of you that are married. How does your spouse feel about you buying and building models. Is it a problem. I mean I never say anything about what she buys or how she spends money. I work she stays at home. Babysitting a little. Lay it on me. 

In a nutshell... no. 

I’m one of the lucky ones, I guess.  My wife of 40 years has never said a word about how much time and money I spend on this hobby.  She has been nothing but supportive.  Like Dan said earlier in this thread, I am not ridiculous when it comes to the amount of time and money that I spend.  I don’t have model kits cluttering up every corner of the house, I keep my stash on shelves in the basement and the little hobby room that I built.  The house and yard are well maintained, nothing has been neglected so that I could buy model kits.  I have given up model shows to do things she wants to do.  I guess for us it comes down to moderation and give and take.

Edited by Nacho Z
Better wording
  • Like 2

My wife as of 48 years today who as big a car nut as I am ( we met 53 years ago when she drove a '66 GTO Convertible and me my '66 SS Chevelle) encourages it and never complains when I need a model related item or want a new kit.

• Like 3

Well this has been a real eye opening conversation. It started out all good with me even encouraged it  Now it’s like your buying too many my collection only numbers 150. So I don’t see that as a big deal over a 12 year period.  Thanks for all your input 

7 minutes ago, Vettegasser said:

Well this has been a real eye opening conversation. It started out all good with me even encouraged it  Now it’s like your buying too many my collection only numbers 150. So I don’t see that as a big deal over a 12 year period.  Thanks for all your input 

Jimmy, IMHO, in our hobby, those are not bad numbers at all.  Roughly one kit a month.  My wife and I both work and we both agree that we don’t work just to pay our bills.  There has to be some enjoyment and a little fun money.  You should tell your wife about some of our stashes…lol.  I’m lucky, I have way, way more kits than I can build in umpteen lifetimes, but I have local friends that have more than me! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

My wife as of 48 years today who as big a car nut as I am ( we met 53 years ago when she drove a '66 GTO Convertible and me my '66 SS Chevelle) encourages it and never complains when I need a model related item or want a new kit.

Happy Anniversary!   :)

• Like 3

When I told the wife last year that I wanted to get back into this hobby, all I got was a small smile and a nod of her head. I know that she was relieved. Over our 37 year marriage, she saw me throw soooo much money down the rabbit hole with my 1:1 project cars and racing asphalt Modifieds. Heck, how much damage could I do to the family finances with some 1/25 scale “toys”? Proves that everything is relative.

My “model” workshop is down in the basement. I’ll come upstairs all excited after some first time modifications, saying something like “Hon.....I just perfectly shortened a chassis”! Always get the same reply.... a bored, half hearted “That’s nice”.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Vettegasser said:

My relationship, hobby and wife, is just like yours.

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

"Going to play with your toy cars?"

Ultimately, it doesn't bother her. I have a hobby that doesn't cost a lot in the big picture.

I'm not out at the bar drinking. I'm not out spending big money on a side by side or sled or whatever. 

I'm not spending every weekend and most evenings at a golf course or buying $1000 clubs. 

Plus, I'm smart about it. We make good money, but I really don't spend much on the hobby. Could totally spend more, but I don't.

I'm sure if I started spending a ton on kits and supplies and tools, then she might have some issues with it.

But I don't, so we're good.

I agree. My situation is similar.

I am not married but i do have to stop buying new kits. Aftermarket stuff is different. ( lol)  Hobbies all take money and time. This is what my Aunt did.  Start watching the crime shows. When she asks why, just tell her you want to learn from others mistakes. It got my uncle to listen to his wife better.  He still wonders if she is joking. But she does put up with a lot if his shenanigans.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, espo said:

I'm fortunate that my wife has been very supportive with my model building. She has reminded me a few times when I show up with a new kit that I already have more than I can build with the time I may or may not have left. She also goes along to the annual local model show and swap meet. This allows me to go visit other vendors and look at the models on display while she stays with my table of models I'm selling. She likes to go and look at the models as well and comments on the ones she likes the most. She helps me load up everything at the end of the day and we go home and have a nice dinner and we talk about what we both liked and maybe didn't like. She suggests body and interior colors for models of cars she likes. She has a couple of models of cars she liked that I made for her that she has in plastic display cases on the bookshelves in her home office. 

Yea see there ya go.Did anyone else suggest trying very hard to sharing our hobby with our wives?Thats what its all about.And hey,there’s hobbies i have that she’s never shared with me.And she has hobbies that I do not share with her.I mean I like cars,& fishing🎣,& she likes clothes shopping.So there you go.🤣Hey hang onto that gal sir.I think most of us know how difficult it is to find a gal like that.🤦‍♂️🥃.Isn't there a few woman on this site?If so,i wonder how they feel about things.🤔