Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 February 2024

1 hour ago, Hondamatic said:

Excited to get that police car, and the box art makes that disco nova look pretty sweet

Shouldn't this be a trunk rack?

Screenshot_20240202_082731_Chrome.jpg

It is. They just mislabeled it.

What got my attention was the G@@)Y#@% logo on the tire.  Somebody in Akron being a bit less of a d-bag about licensing?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
  • Like 2

At 19:18, did he say they were going to do a Warlock in 1/18 scale? That's different

Another AMT trailer reissue. They just re-did the Great Dane reefer trailer a year or so ago, so I guess it was due for another?

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Does vid look washed out???

Yeah, I thought they got the lighting wrong in this video. Too bright, washes out some detail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

At 19:18, did he say they were going to do a Warlock in 1/18 scale? 

Round 2 has released several Warlocks and Little Reds over the years in 1/18. I think they did a Warlock of some kind pretty recently, and I know one of their latest releases is a short bed Sweptside pickup. 

48 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Round 2 has released several Warlocks and Little Reds over the years in 1/18. I think they did a Warlock of some kind pretty recently, and I know one of their latest releases is a short bed Sweptside pickup. 

Just diecasts though, right?

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Just diecasts though, right?

I’m not sure what you mean. The 1/18’s were only diecasts. I think they might have offered a Diecast kit to assemble about 20 years ago, either the Warlock or the LRX. 

The last time the Warlock was offered as a 1/25 kit was about 1979-ish. The Little Red (2 wheel drive, exhaust stacks, no bed rails) came back around 1994, and was offered a few times after that. 

Yeah, I had one of the 1:18 Warlocks in black along with one of the 1:18 LRE diecast. The bodies are nice, but they aren’t as detailed as other diecast in that scale. I put the stake sides from the Warlock onto the LRE since I think they suit that truck better!

Well, I am taking thank you's for those who are happy about the Nova, I finally got hold of a body and interior tub to make a Busch Grand National race car and had to pay $45 after shipping, then a LeMans stock car kit was released that I could have used my Nova grille and front bumper to build the car I wanted and now we have a clean unmolested Nova for the right parts and pieces. Now I need someone to spend the $100+ for one of the '71 Pinto Wonder pony kits I refuse to cough up that much for one that will probably come with hogged out rear wheel openings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I’m not sure what you mean. The 1/18’s were only diecasts. I think they might have offered a Diecast kit to assemble about 20 years ago, either the Warlock or the LRX. 

The last time the Warlock was offered as a 1/25 kit was about 1979-ish. The Little Red (2 wheel drive, exhaust stacks, no bed rails) came back around 1994, and was offered a few times after that. 

Prior to releasing the Little Red Ertl had to retool several parts....as they couldn't find the original inserts.

If one looks at the inside of the bed for example, one sees some sidewall detail on the original, but none on the 90s version.

17 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

At 19:18, did he say they were going to do a Warlock in 1/18 scale? That's different

Another AMT trailer reissue. They just re-did the Great Dane reefer trailer a year or so ago, so I guess it was due for another?

This is the AMT Fruehauf reefer trailer, the Great Dane reefer was an ERTL tool...  It's been a long time since this one was last out I think.

19 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

Excited to get that police car, and the box art makes that disco nova look pretty sweet

Shouldn't this be a trunk rack?

Screenshot_20240202_082731_Chrome.jpg

That's funny. I have called it a trunk rack myself but on these Corvettes. What would you call it since it doesn't have a trunk either? Deck rack?

25 minutes ago, Sport Suburban said:

That's funny. I have called it a trunk rack myself but on these Corvettes. What would you call it since it doesn't have a trunk either? Deck rack?

the '72 Corvette brochure calls it a luggage carrier

• Like 2

The Nova kit looks interesting, but I hope they have corrected the rear side windows shape. The original kit has the windows shaped like a cross between the coupe and the Hatchback and not correct for either one. Can envision some LN, SS and Rally Nova variants.  

8 hours ago, Motor City said:

the '72 Corvette brochure calls it a luggage carrier

That luggage carrier is very close to the Mopar trunk lid luggage rack offering for 1971-74 B-bodies.  It was a factory installed option in 1971 and possibly 1972, but available as a dealer installed option for all four model years.  There was an E-body application too but not sure of the details.  And yes, had one installed on my '74 RR, too.   TB 

• Like 1

I just looked at my '70-'74 Dodge and Plymouth brochures.  The '70 Challenger and Charger are listed in the full-line brochure as having an optional trunk rack, but it isn't listed for the Coronet.  The '71-'73 full-line brochure doesn't list it, but it notes to see the dealer for additional options.  The '74 brochure specifically lists a rack only being available from the factory for the wagons. 

The '70 Plymouth full-line brochure doesn't mention it.  The '71 Barracuda and intermediate brochures list it.  I don't have the '72 brochures.  The '73 Barracuda brochure doesn't list it and I don't have the intermediate brochure.  I also don't have the '74 Plymouth brochures.  

Lots of options aren't listed in brochures.  As Tim stated, many options were available from the factory, and some were also available as a dealer option.  Since we are talking model cars, you can do what the factory should have done!

7 hours ago, espo said:

The Nova kit looks interesting, but I hope they have corrected the rear side windows shape. The original kit has the windows shaped like a cross between the coupe and the Hatchback and not correct for either one. Can envision some LN, SS and Rally Nova variants.  

That's the AMT kit, this is the MPC kit. It always has been correct.

BTW, the coupe and hatchback used the exact same rear side windows. The AMT kit was just wrong.

• Thanks 1