Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Khils said:

All but one us were his friend!!

....he knows who I'm referring....& still owes him an apology.

There's a few of us who know who your referring to Kevin. 

I doubt it'll ever be brought up by him. 

Use to read a lot of this guys stuff back before i got into the hobby.  Would actually find his posts just searching on google for specific things.  Didn't know him at all, but sucks he's gone.  What in the world happened?

Just now, Brudda said:

Thank you sir

I had a stroke several years ago. This is how I got into the hobby. Had prostate cancer 1 year ago. Some how dodging the bullet . Just had a friend pass last month. Several friends passed a year ago. I guess I’m getting that age where my buddies and I are older and life is more precious than ever. Build while you can! Rest in peace Snake. Model on buddy. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Brudda said:

...I guess I’m getting that age where my buddies and I are older and life is more precious than ever. Build while you can! 

A friend who's only 2 years younger than me came by a couple of days back, and we were laughing about who would have believed that the wild guys we were back in the '70s and '80s would someday be crotchety old fossils.

It seemed like we'd live forever way back when.

EDIT: If I'd known then what I know now, I sure would have done a few things differently.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 5

At the end of NNL East every year as we do the final comments, I have had the thought that someone in the room will not be with us the next year.  It seems the very old guys just soldier on and we see them every year.  The guys who pass are often a shock, some of them are younger and looked perfectly fine the last time we saw them.  That's why we need to be good to each other.

This past year I had one of those moments.  I am 65 and was anticipating retiring at the 67 3/4 for full social security or even 70 since I liked my work and feel good.   We were at our club meeting and talking about what we were going to do when we retired.  Al Raab spoke about working another year to wind down his business and then was going to retire and spend his time resin casting the masters he had been saving up.  He looked good at 66 and had just had Lasik surgery so he was without glasses for the first time in the 30 years I knew him.  Within a month he was dead.  Stepped out of the shower one morning, had a major heart attack and died on the spot.

That changed everything for me. I retired on my 65th birthday.  I know I have some time now, but maybe not 2 years from now.  Today I work on growing my little eBay stamp business and play with hobbies.  I spend time with my family.  I babysit!  Time much better spent than working for an ungrateful company!  

• Like 14

I will miss Snake very much.  I enjoyed his posts for his advice, his wit, and his unique presence on the board.  R.I.P. Good Sir!

• Like 2

I am working on a Snake tribute car right now!  I will share details after the weekend!  

He liked to be called Snake.. I used to bust his chops...  "Does your mother call you Snake?"   🙂

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:23 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

EDIT: If I'd known then what I know now, I sure would have done a few things differently.

Wouldn't we all 🙂

• Like 1

Just don't have the words.  He is the 6th to pass on in the year and a half.  And yesterday came news of another one, Bruce Sadewater (aka Hemiman) has gone on to the big model room in the sky.  May they all Rest in Peace.

image.png.a1711721166a3fc2da23820965dcdbad.png

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

As promised, I finished the Snake tribute car!   Follow the link below to the thread.

Tom, I tried To Pm you...says you cannot receive msgs....might your inbox be FULL?

On 5/9/2024 at 2:51 PM, Tom Geiger said:

At the end of NNL East every year as we do the final comments, I have had the thought that someone in the room will not be with us the next year.  It seems the very old guys just soldier on and we see them every year.  The guys who pass are often a shock, some of them are younger and looked perfectly fine the last time we saw them.  That's why we need to be good to each other.

This past year I had one of those moments.  I am 65 and was anticipating retiring at the 67 3/4 for full social security or even 70 since I liked my work and feel good.   We were at our club meeting and talking about what we were going to do when we retired.  Al Raab spoke about working another year to wind down his business and then was going to retire and spend his time resin casting the masters he had been saving up.  He looked good at 66 and had just had Lasik surgery so he was without glasses for the first time in the 30 years I knew him.  Within a month he was dead.  Stepped out of the shower one morning, had a major heart attack and died on the spot.

That changed everything for me. I retired on my 65th birthday.  I know I have some time now, but maybe not 2 years from now.  Today I work on growing my little eBay stamp business and play with hobbies.  I spend time with my family.  I babysit!  Time much better spent than working for an ungrateful company!  

Sounds like a company I work for...🙄😒 I just turned 64 last month and I plan to retire next April 8th...

11 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Sounds like a company I work for...🙄😒 I just turned 64 last month and I plan to retire next April 8th...

I worked at my job for 33 years. It was a position that you just couldn't walk in and perform. Filming records and developing them for microfilm and records.  Indexing them for retrieving the data. Dealt with attorneys and legislatures across the country. They begged me to reconsider. Had a boss the last 12 years who hated me for some reason. Little to no pay raises every year while other got larger one. When I told the companies I dealt with I was leaving. Seems they did everything to convince the higher up to convince me to stay. Because the day I announced my retirement. My boss called me in and said "Seems people really like you Dave, People have called the Secretary of the Senate trying to convince them to offer me an incentive. I looked at him and said. "As long as you're here. I'm gone". So at 55. I had the years in to retire. Left and never looked back. Loved my job. Not the person above me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I will always miss my friend, I have an old build to drag out and finish in his memory. He gave himself to the forum and a friend to many. Don’t put off anything enjoy your life. R.I.P. Brothe Snake!

Carl my friend I did the same thing. I was down in my garage and trying to find something to occupy my mind (idle hands, devils playground, yada yada) and I drug out 2 rebuilder/light glue bombs and asked myself “what would Snake do?” So in his honor I’m going to throw some “Snake-Fu” at both of them and “Model On” as he would encourage me to do. 

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/20/2024 at 12:05 PM, ewetwo said:

So at 55. I had the years in to retire. Left and never looked back. Loved my job. Not the person above me. 

Amen. It's said that people don't leave jobs, they leave bosses.  The problem is that those bosses just soldier on, ticking people off, and somehow companies don't catch on and sack 'em!

• Like 2