Model Cars Magazine Forum

Master Modeler?????

I'm a fabricator. I've heard others refer to me as a "Master Fabricator", which I found odd, since there's no standard of competency to rate fabricators. Time, itself, is not a good gauge. I know fabricators with well over 20 years experience that just aren't that good. Likewise, I've been building models for more than 50 years, and am not at the level of the guys you all have mentioned above....

Exactly.

Though I've been making things pretty well for many years, there are a lot of fabricators in the world who are WAY better than me, and a lot of model builders who post on this very board who are also WAY better than me...and some of them have significantly fewer years of experience.

I know too that my own work is considerably better, in both fields, than a lot of fellers who seem to think they're the cat's pajamas.

The point is this: the great majority of folks who refer to themselves as "masters" of anything are usually only masters of BS-ing.

PS.  Formal "masters" certification programs don't always accurately reflect the certificate holder's actual competence either. I know a couple of ASE "MASTER" techs who I wouldn't trust to change the plug on my lawnmower. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Exactly.

Though I've been making things pretty well for many years, there are a lot of fabricators in the world who are WAY better than me, and a lot of model builders who post on this very board who are also WAY better than me...and some of them have significantly fewer years of experience.

I know too that my own work is considerably better, in both fields, than a lot of fellers who seem to think they're the cat's pajamas.

The point is this: the great majority of folks who refer to themselves as "masters" of anything are usually only masters of BS-ing.

PS.  Formal "masters" certification programs don't always accurately reflect the certificate holder's actual competence either. I know a couple of ASE "MASTER" techs who I wouldn't trust to change the plug on my lawnmower. 

This is why I like the idea of a master designation coming from a group of peers.  Nobody knows better what you skill level is better than those who also build.  In this respect, that is why I think national contests are a better judge of building skills.  Yes, I know, there are some biases in that method and we may not always agree that what won should have won, but as a measure of skills, someone who has been awarded top honors at a national level has shown some serious building skills.  The negative is that there are a lot of equally skilled builders out there who don't choose to compete. 

I had a friend who is now passed, he was a tool and die maker. On one of his tool boxes had his name and under it said Master Craftsman . I'd always look at it  and one day I asked about it. He told me the college awarded him that and all it meant was he was able to teach there.

When i think of a master modeler Elle Macpherson, Kathy Ireland,  Christie Brinkley, and Kate Upton come to mind!!!

Christie is 60 ish, Elle is 50 ish as is Kathy. All look better than most those out there. Agree completely, +1000000 :)

I've always found it odd that the term "master" anything is used when there is no qualifying standard. I believe some trades (maybe plumbing and carpentry?) have levels of competency that starts at apprentice, and works toward being a master. I'm a fabricator. I've heard others refer to me as a "Master Fabricator", which I found odd, since there's no standard of competency to rate fabricators. Time, itself, is not a good gauge. I know fabricators with well over 20 years experience that just aren't that good. Likewise, I've been building models for more than 50 years, and am not at the level of the guys you all have mentioned above. It would be interesting to have, maybe, an annual event to qualify model builders as "Master Modelers". I would think there would be a set of standards, and one would have to meet those standards for, maybe, 5 years running (to prove consistency) to be awarded the title. This would not be a contest- there could be any number of titles given to anyone who qualified. Just a thought.

Tom

That pretty much sums it up. My official title at work is "Master Engineer" but that really doesn't mean anything. It is just one pay-grade higher than "Senior Engineer".

But like Harry said, being a Master of your domain is definitely good thing.  ;)

I just looked at what you posted. Grille falling off, crooked radiator install and jagged BMF work plus no wiring under the hood and dust. You think he would take care of those issues before offering it for sale.

Edited by lordairgtar

Yes Gerald Wingrove is about the only 'Master Modeller/ Modelmaker' that I've heard of and seen his work. He's one who finds the real car/subject is allowed to break it down to make all of the measurements needed and manufactures every part, from engine internals, pistons, rods, gearbox cogs,spark plugs, wiring, brake pads, springs to hold those in place in the wheel hub, to steel chassis to leather upholstery, rubber tyres with the correct tread and sidewall lettering etc.

The figure I've heard is 10,000 hours. That probably varies with the field of expertise, but it seems right for anything of moderate complexity. That's 5 years of working full time. That's a lot of modeling time. I know I don't have that much into it.

Yes. This number of hours has been used quite a bit and might hold true for some people in some fields. Others not. It's been debunked recently in a few studies, but it was a given that it can't apply to all fields. Especially sports. 

Modeling has different aspects like painting, scratch building, bodywork, etc. some might be a master at chopping, but a below average painter.

There's an old (Jewish?) parable about a man who has 20 years experience but he basically had 1 year experience repeated 20 times. I think it meant that if you don't expand your knowledge and push your skills, it doesn't matter how long you've been doing something. 

I have 10,000 hours at mold making and casting. The nice thing is that each part is very different from the last and I learn a lot each time with immediate feedback. I'm pretty good, but will need another 10,000 to be a master

Yes. This number of hours has been used quite a bit and might hold true for some people in some fields. Others not. It's been debunked recently in a few studies, but it was a given that it can't apply to all fields. Especially sports. 

Modeling has different aspects like painting, scratch building, bodywork, etc. some might be a master at chopping, but a below average painter.

There's an old (Jewish?) parable about a man who has 20 years experience but he basically had 1 year experience repeated 20 times. I think it meant that if you don't expand your knowledge and push your skills, it doesn't matter how long you've been doing something. 

I have 10,000 hours at mold making and casting. The nice thing is that each part is very different from the last and I learn a lot each time with immediate feedback. I'm pretty good, but will need another 10,000 to be a master

Sounds like software. :D

unsure.gif You've seen models built by "Master Modeler's" for sale on eBay. huh.gif

I sell a lot of my built models on eBay, recently a buyer inquired if the model was built by a "Master Modeler".

This was not an easy question to answer sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif I think the stuff I build turns out OK, but not master built...

I'm just curious as to what qualifies one as a "Master Modeler"...just throwing it out there for a little feed back smile.gif

thanx

Great topic!!, I admit, my views on this subject have changed not so long ago, but I use to say that once a modeler reached "realism" with their builds, then they can consider themselves a master. There are SOOOO many different looks to realism, that once a builder gets there, there is no one better than everyone else, just more and more builders achieving realism at the same level. I'm still a bit in the air about it, but I do believe now that you DON'T have to build to realism to be a master modeler. I think its a constant drive to get better with our skills and tools that is important. I think someone once said, "you can't truly be a Master until you've lived out your life to its fullest".  -don't know about that either, though. Anyways, thanks for this topic, its got me thinking:)