Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 month later...

I've been agonizing over needing a car to get up my steep driveway in the snow and have had two 4wd vehicles in the past three years ... a Mini Countryman, that was a blast to drive but needed a hour and half drive for service .. and a BMW X1 that was competent but a total bore driving. Every trip to the BMW dealer saw me lingering around the VW GTI's. I just wasn't sure one would get up my drive with only FWD. Only the Golf R had 4WD and dealers are allowed only one! After taking a GTI on a test drive ... up my snow covered drive on summer tires ... I was sold! It's now sitting on Blizzaks! ... I'm happy and back tocars that are fun to drive!!!! :)

16%20GTI%20sml_DSC0223_zpsrvx3xhrc.jpg

16%20GTI%20sma_DSC0212_zpsuonzatxa.jpg

16%20GTIsml%20_DSC0215_zpslhjtabmb.jpg

winter%20tires_DSC0260_zps6rw4o3wl.jpg

Now I NEED one in PLASTIC!!!

Edited by Foxer

Just got a "new" everyday ride 3 months ago. 2012 Ford Fusion SEL, no pics yet, no mods planned, but it's a cool sparkly black and is totally loaded with some unusual options including body color grille. Nothing real fancy, but can be fun. My "baby" is my 1966 Mercury Comet Caliente, I bought it in 1984 when I was 16, has outlasted 5 other dailys, 2 houses, and a marriage! Some quickie pics I took for insurance can be seen in the 1:1 reference section.

I figured a thread like this must be around here somewhere!

I just picked up the truck yesterday. 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum 4X4. Yes, with the Cummins diesel. Only the daily commute so far, but I have an 800km roadtrip tomorrow, so that should be a good break in and chance to get used to it. 

I'm hunting for a project that grabs my attention right now. Most of my previous toys have been watercooled VW, so that's probably what I'll end up with. Here's the last VW I had. 1993 Passat VR6. Manual transmission, Kinetic turbo kit, AC delete, coilovers, Porsche wheels/brakes, Borla exhaust, C2 engine management. Car was crazy fast, top of the roof racks was the same height as the top of the bed on an F150. SOld it right after I blew the head gasket on a track day. 

WP_20160119_006.jpg

front.JPG

I come from a racing background...here are my two previous cars...06 xterra daily with 4" lift and 33" A/T tires and a 03 Miata (This was my 4th Miata) with Megan Racing coilovers, XXR wheels, home made exhaust and intake and some aero.

IMG_2190.thumb.JPG.c040309a72a1c291ec9a2

And my car now...the first FWD I pretty much ever owned...a 08 MazdaSpeed 3 with intake, Eibach Pro Kit springs, and a tune. Makes 287 whp and 291 wtq. She's gonna get fender flares and some meaner wheels/tires and some aero stuff this year. Power-wise I'm fine with it, I don't want to get in any trouble with the PD.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a6f373825c3f855

Edited by CFMgarage

I've been agonizing over needing a car to get up my steep driveway in the snow and have had two 4wd vehicles in the past three years ... a Mini Countryman, that was a blast to drive but needed a hour and half drive for service .. and a BMW X1 that was competent but a total bore driving. Every trip to the BMW dealer saw me lingering around the VW GTI's. I just wasn't sure one would get up my drive with only FWD. Only the Golf R had 4WD and dealers are allowed only one! After taking a GTI on a test drive ... up my snow covered drive on summer tires ... I was sold! It's now sitting on Blizzaks! ... I'm happy and back tocars that are fun to drive!!!! :)

16%20GTI%20sml_DSC0223_zpsrvx3xhrc.jpg

16%20GTI%20sma_DSC0212_zpsuonzatxa.jpg

16%20GTIsml%20_DSC0215_zpslhjtabmb.jpg

winter%20tires_DSC0260_zps6rw4o3wl.jpg

Now I NEED one in PLASTIC!!!

A 4-door GTI?? :huh:

Although the 4Motion (or whatever VW calls their 4WD now) does make up for a bit of that. 

Too bad they'll only be given 1/dealer. Most dealers here could probably sell one a week, if not more.

Charlie Larkin

A 4-door GTI?? :huh:

Although the 4Motion (or whatever VW calls their 4WD now) does make up for a bit of that. 

Too bad they'll only be given 1/dealer. Most dealers here could probably sell one a week, if not more.

Charlie Larkin

This is the top GTI, the Autobahn, and it only comes with 4-doors ... weird, eh? I wanted four anyway. The only real difference from lower ones is it has Navigation, another need. The GTI plaid seats only come in the lowest version. :wacko:

This is the top GTI, the Autobahn, and it only comes with 4-doors ... weird, eh? I wanted four anyway. The only real difference from lower ones is it has Navigation, another need. The GTI plaid seats only come in the lowest version. :wacko:

So...4 doors and no plaid seats? 

Well, at least they kept the go-fast parts. 

GTIs were never really my cup of tea (seriously, think about what I drive!,) but I always thought they were cool little cars that gave you a lot of scoot for not a (comparatively) lot of money and that made up for a lot of that. 

What I found most interesting (and perhaps most upsetting) was your description of your BMW as "boring." Never thought I'd heard a BMW described as that to drive.I'll grant an X-1 might not be a Z3/4 or one of their sports cars, but that's still kinda depressing. 

Also- out of curiosity, did Flynn buy out Haddad? I seem to remember them and Pete's as the two big dealers around there.

Charlie Larkin

So...4 doors and no plaid seats? 

Well, at least they kept the go-fast parts. 

GTIs were never really my cup of tea (seriously, think about what I drive!,) but I always thought they were cool little cars that gave you a lot of scoot for not a (comparatively) lot of money and that made up for a lot of that. 

What I found most interesting (and perhaps most upsetting) was your description of your BMW as "boring." Never thought I'd heard a BMW described as that to drive.I'll grant an X-1 might not be a Z3/4 or one of their sports cars, but that's still kinda depressing. 

Also- out of curiosity, did Flynn buy out Haddad? I seem to remember them and Pete's as the two big dealers around there.

Charlie Larkin

Yeah, boring BMW is pretty sad, but it was an SUV afterall. Then, my previous car was a Mini Countryman SUV .. and that was a total blast driving!

Flynn is VW, Audi and BMW. Haddad is Toyota among others. They bought out Pete's Subaru (and Chrysler/Plymouth).

I'm afraid our daily drivers are mostly mundane.

My wife drives an '04 Civic LX Sedan in dark metallic gray. (I don't believe it's a stretch to say you've probably seen one exactly like it)

I drive an '02 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon in silver (see below). It's currently sitting in the garage at the moment on jack-stands as I forgot a fairly important part (ahem, the upper spring seats) for the front struts, but it should be back on the road by next weekend.

2008NewWheels005-1.jpg

Sadly, I have no project cars to share. I've got too many ideas and not enough focus currently, so I've avoided making such a purchase. :unsure:

All Subis are sweet!!

Splitting our time between the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and Scottsdale, Arizona we have a specific vehicle for each home. Back in 2011 we bought our Wrangler, perfect for the wilds of the Island, 4 wheel drive for when it snows or gets muddy and last year we got our ragtop Bug, perfect for the Arizona climate! The longer wheelbase of the 4door Jeep provides a much nicer ride and the ragtop is just too much fun!!! Been wanting to swap out the factory wheels for Torq Thrusters from American Racing, yet it's been difficult to find info on their availabity (a few years back there was a SEMA show Jeep with a set; want the Jeep to look more like a cruiser rather than a jacked up off roader with beaded rims) and the Bug is going to get white walls with red steel wheels with baby moons. Fun vehicles, each suited to their locations.

Interesting side note, we can drive the Jeep down to AZ without issues at the border, yet being Canucks we're unable to bring the Bug into Canada as it carries American plates! Also note our plate, SOL BUG, a Latino sun bug.

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg