Model Cars Magazine Forum

Perfectionist?

It's okay to be a perfectionist, but I find those kind of people are often the most unhappy because it never turns out to their satisfaction. I know this for a fact because I am one. I'm dealing with some it-doesn't-look-like-I-want issues right now with my Jolly Roger Merc, '49 Shoebox, and '53 Stude. So I'm in a bit of a funk now building wise.

The only relief I get from this is building a rat rod or beater where perfection is never the goal but rather the opposite.

My goal is to finish a model! Any fool can start a model but the completion of said model is what separates the men from the boys!

I don't think in terms of perfection. I pay attention to detail and am always trying to build a better model to please myself. I still build multi-year contest builds that are 90% scratchbuilt and also some nearly out of box builds to keep the fundamental skills sharp. I enjoy both.

I know a few actual perfectionist types and the problem they have is they rarely finish a model. They get hung up because if they feel they can't do the next step perfectly they box it up and start another model!! :(

• Like 1

A true perfectionist is rarely, if ever satisfied, so as Martin said, completing anything is a rarity.

I've known a few people who call themselves perfectionists, but they really aren't. What I see are differences in what "perfection" means to different people, and their ability to see flaws and to know what it takes to get close to perfection. It's been my experience that those who call them selves perfectionists, well, they should read Scale-Master's signature line, because it's true. ^_^

To me, it all comes down to setting high standards for yourself and others, and sticking to those standards.

I build for my own fun and to relax,my stuff can be oob or wild and wacky.I try to make stuff as realistic as possible but sometimes I dont give a hoot!!

Take this 36 Ford,I reached a point where I had enough of sanding after ghost lines kept reappearing that I just went for a darker colour (still to be cleared!)

PGBO.jpeg

Last year I entered my first ever IPMS and was stunned to get a bronze and a commendation...

So....Build it as you like I say. :D :D

For me , acheived perfection is when I look at a completed build on the shelf and if I see the effect of what I set out to replicate. If so then all is good.

I do try my best to make the subject as accurate as I can ,, but within reason. I've done the super detailed builds. and although they do look great once done but they can consume a year of my time.

Now, I prefer to make them nice.

I have no interests in contests.if it pleases me, I'm happy.

sorry, this may be a bit long but.....

"My goal is to finish a model! Any fool can start a model but the completion of said model is what separates the men from the boys!" (quote from Modelmartin)

boy, how true this statement is! i have at least 80 kits started in some sort of way that i swear i will finish, but i just start another, then throw it on the shelf a month later. is it cause i look thru too may hot rod books and get more ideas, cause i made a mistake on a kit, shoved it back in the box, maybe i am a perfectionist and dont know it?

i read thru this post a few times and it is a doozy of a question. it can go in so many directions. is a perfectionist one who wants his kit to be as close to the 1:1 he is referencing or the execution of a clean build? here is what i think (for what it is worth), i am NOT a rivot counter, if my 63 plymouth has 64 door panels (which it actually does), thats ok, but it will not have mold lines, flash or trademark stamps on the chassis. i will not glue things on a kit just cause i have glue, it has to be functional in the 1:1 world. i will not put in scaled 6" round tubing in for a roll cage or glued my rear end (no jokes please..) directly to the chassis to get my pro streeter lower, i have cut the tops of the rear tired to get it lower..... hypocrite...... maybe.

i feel that you should always know the mishaps or mistakes on every build and try to eliminate them on the next. you wouldn't last too long at your job if you didnt try to correct your errors. but some people like stagnent, have no drive to improve, are satisfied. others are not, want to improve with every build. neither person is wrong, but will be looked at differently. i HATE to see a build with a gazillion dollars in aftermarket stuff when the guy glues the engine in cock-eyed and does not meet up with the driveshaft.

is perfection a perfect 1:1 recreation or a clean build with no mold lines? we all have a different view on this topic, and i will always have dust specs in my paint jobs no mater how many gallons of the purple stuff i go thru. the main thing is be happy with your builds, take critism optimistically and NEVER bash someone elses builds until yours are perfect. helpful hints are good, bashing, well, not so good.

I don't consider my self a perfectionist because i do not do extensive scratch building to add missing detail. I will, however buy every aftermarket set there is to supply the detail and i will do detail painting and add wiring and tubing, seat belts and such.

The one thing that really eats at me is I cannot tolerate my mistakes. I have no idea whose voice it is but something keeps screaming at me to do my best, "Don't be afraid to be perfect!". I actually think it is my mom!!!

joe.

" ... dang for people who may be perfectionists ... the most bitter sweet hobby ever considering that you WILL spend hours on something so minute ... ". I don't know, just wondering what y'alls take on this was...

i'm glad i'm a modeler instead of a gardener!

I don't mind spending a lot of time sanding/filing/fitting/filling. I spent about a week of hobby time (5 minutes here, a half hour there for a total of about three hours) assembling and painting the five pieces of the Beatnik Bandit frame shown below.

atpicbk2519511.jpg

Now I'm moving on to the engine and rear axle. That three-piece engine block is nice looking, especially for an early '60s kit, but it results in seams in the "wrong" places that require some work to eliminate (shown by the gray paint).

I try to do a nice job. Another way to look at it is to appreciate that you don't have to scratchbuild the part(s) that you are cleaning up. Then the time you take for cleanup is almost nothing compared to what you would have to spend to carve or fabricate that part from sheet styrene.

I am not a perfectionist but I do strive to make better models everytime I finish and pick up another. I have learned a lot of tricks and good sound techniques from Cruz and every time I see his models and the way they turn out, it just makes me want to try harder the next time. There is nothing wrong with that, the main reason to join the forums and clubs and attend shows is exactly for that, to become better modelers. Perfection? It doesn't exist, specially at this scale.

In regards to the talk about not finishing a model when something is not coming out as well as hoped, but instead starting a new model... (Not talking about any one person, just in general.)

Why not apply the effort you use to start another model (or heaven forbid another failure) to learn how to overcome the issue and ultimately finish the model? Even if it does not come out "perfect" you might learn how to address that issue, and practice to do better in the future.

Which is worse?

A - An unfinished model with a flaw you decided not to try to fix so it sits in box out of sight. (High emotional attachment, low participation.)

B - A finished model with a flaw probably only you are aware of that you learned how to do better that is on display. (High participation, low emotional attachment.)

Maybe you actually learned how to overcome that issue and there really is no flaw...?

To me the latter is a far better investment of materials and time.

• Like 1

In regards to the talk about not finishing a model when something is not coming out as well as hoped, but instead starting a new model... (Not talking about any one person, just in general.)

Why not apply the effort you use to start another model (or heaven forbid another failure) to learn how to overcome the issue and ultimately finish the model? Even if it does not come out "perfect" you might learn how to address that issue, and practice to do better in the future.

Which is worse?

A - An unfinished model with a flaw you decided not to try to fix so it sits in box out of sight. (High emotional attachment, low participation.)

B - A finished model with a flaw probably only you are aware of that you learned how to do better that is on display. (High participation, low emotional attachment.)

Maybe you actually learned how to overcome that issue and there really is no flaw...?

To me the latter is a far better investment of materials and time.

I have to agree with Mark

Another couple of pennies worth from me regarding Scale-Master's remarks above......

I've only recently got to the point in modeling where I have the skills necessary to finish some of the more ambitious projects I've started over the last few years I've been back in the hobby. I tend to push my limits and got in a little over my head on several, but now that I've stayed with it and finally finished one (with many flaws I see but no one else seems to mind), it's a lot easier for me to dive back into the ones that have been tucked away waiting for my skills to develop sufficiently.

I'm not talking about perfection, but I DO have a clear limit as to the level-of-quality and workmanship I can be satisfied with, and if I know I can't achieve it, I'll stop the build until I can.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 7/18/2012 at 9:54 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Another couple of pennies worth from me regarding Scale-Master's remarks above......

I've only recently got to the point in modeling where I have the skills necessary to finish some of the more ambitious projects I've started over the last few years I've been back in the hobby. I tend to push my limits and got in a little over my head on several, but now that I've stayed with it and finally finished one (with many flaws I see but no one else seems to mind), it's a lot easier for me to dive back into the ones that have been tucked away waiting for my skills to develop sufficiently.

I'm not talking about perfection, but I DO have a clear limit as to the level-of-quality and workmanship I can be satisfied with, and if I know I can't achieve it, I'll stop the build until I can.

I really associated with this post (even if it is from 11 years ago)...

I have no fear of putting a kit back on the shelf until I learn the right skill, or can find a particular material that I'm looking for, or until technology catches up with what I was hoping to do (I'm looking at you, 3d printing).  For example, I've got an AMT Firetruck T kit where I had the idea that I'd REALLY like to make all the brass parts out of brass rather than use their cheesy-looking gold 'chrome' that comes in the kit.  I could fake the look with paint, but it wouldn't be as good, just use the plated parts in the box...or develop my brass and soldering skills along enough to achieve what I was hoping to achieve with the build.

That kit has been on the shelf for YEARS...but at some point I'll be suitably equipped as a builder to do it justice.  I've got a few other builds in progress, from as recently as late last year, where I've hit a wall in skill and I need to figure a thing out. 

Actually, on that same firetruck kit I had the idea of learning to do actual gold-leaf lettering, in scale, and have just recently got good enough with that technique that I think I could pull it off now...which I definitely wouldn't have been able to do previously

No rush - I'd rather have an amazing project on my shelf unfinished until a time where I can actually MAKE it amazing than have a kit I'm not happy with done and checked off the list so I can say it's 'done'.

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 2

I would like to comment , This can drive one crazy. I know a guy that things have to be perfect but rarely finishes a kit. I think he drives himself crazy trying to achieve this. Around 10 years ago I was building for fun then wanted to enter contests. Did not fair so well at first. Hooked up with a couple of IPMS national winners and learned a lot from these guys. Started to win at a local level. But never thought I was a perfectionist. I believe a lot of people who drink alot or use drugs alot are perfectionist people and when it does not go their way,well the drinking starts etc. I try to do better by improving myself and not trying to out do others. Fast forward to today, I have won special awards , first place at a national IPMS level. Does this make me a perfectionist? I still do not see myself as a perfectionist. Other people think I am, but to keep it real , I am not. Just try to do better than the last time and have fun with your builds.What has happened though is I have lost the motivation to build. With achieving what I wanted to achieve, I think it took a little wind out of my sails.Just have fun and I think that’s perfect enough.                  P.S. I believe scalemaster  and ace- garage guy summed it up perfectly.

I try to be a perfectionist, and building a few scratch builds has certainly improved my model making having to get my head around things. It doesn't always go well, so some scrapped parts and reworking becomes par for the course. Over the years I have enjoyed competition modelling and have had reasonable success. But you win some and you lose some, but I never get hung up about it as a judgement is just someone else's opinion about my models. But however, the worst judge of all can be yourself. Try not to get hung up about any of the imperfections in your model building as most likely you are the only person noticing them. If you get to the point where numbers of incomplete kits are being shelved through perceived building imperfections, you are not really enjoying it as a hobby any more and really need to change your mindset. Far better to complete something, learn from any mistakes and move on in a positive way.

I can fully understand some people's mindset of they are working on a very expensive kit like a MFH for example if things go a bit awry and shelve it until later. But as long as they go back and complete it has to be the goal. We can all lose our mojo when things do not always work out. Best do something else temporarily and come back when feeling a bit more positive.

I once read that the best art is flawed, or the flaws make the art, so when it comes to my models i just try to have fun. I try to get the intent of my build more than the details but i do like to add detail to some parts. I just dont feel the need to have every detail correct and i try to do different details on builds. If i add brake lines i probably wont add wiring etc.. I try to only add detail where it will be seen without having to pick it up and unless its something exposed the undersides of my builds are probably matt or satin black as when its on the shelf it not seen. I admire the builds that have every detail butfor how i build underside detail is a waste of time from the firewall back. When i get to the audi drag car i wont be detailing under the cabin but i probably will detail the rest best i can. If its not perfect its no loss to me but i do like to have whats seen look realistic

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2012 at 2:01 PM, Jantrix said:

It's okay to be a perfectionist, but I find those kind of people are often the most unhappy because it never turns out to their satisfaction. I know this for a fact because I am one

Re-read this thread this evening and this quote really jumped out at me.

I’ve never made a single model yet that I’m happy with.  Some, I’m happier than others…but not one where I’m REALLY proud of it.  I just haven’t hit that level yet (and maybe never will).

BUT….every single one, I’ve been happy with the journey I took building it.

I can live with that. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I can point out all the flaws in every single model I complete. Some have won contests. One was recently an MCM cover car. I can name all the near misses that almost got some put back in the box, all the slightly dodgy fixes, every dust speck and wire that gets tucked in under something because I just can't figure out where it goes. But because these things are imperfect, and that I was able through occasional cleverness and frequent blind luck to turn them into models that I am proud to display and show to others, they are special to me. 

What's funny is that once I get some distance from a build, the memory of those flaws diminishes but the pride in my work doesn't. If perfection stands in the way of a builder expressing his creativity and talent and hopefully sharing it with others it's highly overrated. 

• Like 1

I think the goal of perfection is not really possible to achieve. It makes the assumption that your skill set is able to achieve perfection. However with any artistic approach there is always room for improvement. Sometimes when you build a models you will realize there is a better way to do it.

A more reasonable goal is to do the best you can at that point in time. And then consider what can you do to improve your skills from that project to do the next one.

There is absolutely no other reason to do this as a hobby , than your own satisfaction. Clearly, if it's your vocation, then you have a monetary reason. Even then, a sense of personal pride should drive you toward perfection. To reiterate what others have said; do what makes you happy! For me, that's a lot of scratchbuilding and detailing. I enjoy the journey, and always try to add new experiences, along the way. 

• Like 2